So I have an Epi Dot Studio that i run through a mesa f30 which kept me content for a while but now i think it is time to get some better pickups.
The pups on the Dot get muddy with distortion easily and the cleans are just ordinary.
I play mostly RCHP, Cream, Dire Straits, SRV, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, satch

I'm more interested in the cleans then the distortion, someone recommended Seymour Duncans then there are Dimarzios or maybe the pickups from a Gibson Dot (i assume u can buy them)

Could you please list the models you would recommend, why and a link to them on their website or a sound file

I wish there was a way to try these pickups but where i live there arent any semi hollow guitars with these pickups

I'm also thinking of investing in a big muff as well

Cheers
I've taken a liking to GFS pickups, they dont have any sound files i can find, but the cleans are lovely... and although your not as interested the distortion sounds awesome too.

www.guitarfetish.com

follow the links to pickups and GFS humbuckers.

i recommend them

made a huge difference to me.

hope all goes well

Jon
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

flea in school? oh my....
Honestly, I think you have the wrong guitar. I love the dot. I would love to have one, but it's not right for the music you want to play. You need a strat.

Becuase you are probably not going to run out and buy a strat just because I told you to, I'm going to suggest that you get some low output pickups. In the neck I'd suggest something with formvar wire wound to about 7.8K That will give you a brighter more defined neck tone than a regular PAF style pickup. Peter Green was famouse for using a formvar pickup in the neck. In the bridge I'd suggest a PAF around 8K made with real plane enamel wire! The poly wire that most pickup makers are using in PAF's what is called a "wet" tone and it blends the notes together. PE wire, on the other hand, has a "dry" sound which doesn't blend the same way. If you are looking for clarity in a bridge pickup, PE is the way to go. Look around and see what you can find that matches these specs (lots of people make them) or you can send me an email and we can work something out.

Don't fall for the lies on the GFS site though. They do not use Formvar wire or Plane enamel wire on any of their pickups and none of the GFS pickups will give you more clarity than the pickups you currently have. If you were looking for the cheapest way to go high output then GFS might be a good choice but you are looking for good clean tone and GFS can't help you there.
Not taking any online orders.
I agree with Corduroy, a new guitar would suit you much better. Maybe an HSS strat? As for muddiness... it might not be your pickups. I've got an F30 as well, and it sounds unbelieveably muddy without the contour turned on- what are your normal settings?
Quote by mulefish
How would Seymour duncans go?
A jazz model and a 59' model

The 59' would be ok for the bridge. The jazz model isn't going to be any better than what you already have in the neck. A 59' in the neck and bridge might work for you, but it wouldn't work as well as having a formvar pickup in the neck.
Not taking any online orders.
It amazes me how many people get semi-acoustic guitars for completely the wrong music. I always say you can play anything you want on any guitar, but that's within reason and not taking into account physical limitations. It's not the pickups that get muddy with distortion, it's the fact that it's a semi-hollow guitar so you've got all that extra resonance in the body. They sound warm and woody - add too much distortion to that and it translates into mud.

My best guess is a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck with an Air Classic in the bridge....they won't stop the problems you're having with high distortion though. If you want to play high gain then get a new guitar that suits your styles, the Dot is going to sound best with clean or mildly overdriven tones...it's also going to sound best through a bright amp with plenty of midrange and presence.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It amazes me how many people get semi-acoustic guitars for completely the wrong music. I always say you can play anything you want on any guitar, but that's within reason and not taking into account physical limitations. It's not the pickups that get muddy with distortion, it's the fact that it's a semi-hollow guitar so you've got all that extra resonance in the body. They sound warm and woody - add too much distortion to that and it translates into mud.

My best guess is a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck with an Air Classic in the bridge....they won't stop the problems you're having with high distortion though. If you want to play high gain then get a new guitar that suits your styles, the Dot is going to sound best with clean or mildly overdriven tones...it's also going to sound best through a bright amp with plenty of midrange and presence.

I love the guitar, i played it, fell in love and then went back to the store a couple of days later and brought it. I said I was mainly into the cleans, with pups that handle distortion at least a little better then the stock ones do.

And the distortion I want mostly would be just that of the mesa with the volume rolled back a bit for a mild overdriveish sound
I just want something that can get a better tone at say Iron Maiden Afraid To Shoot Strangers, (I just joined an iron maiden cover band (definitely wasn't planning on that when i brought the guitar ))

To whoever asked for my settings, I don't usually leave them in just one place for long, I'll change them and find a new sound I like, but i dont often use the contour, unless i really feel angry
If your concern is your clean tones then the Humbucker from Hell is definitely for you, it's also quite bright so it'll give complement the natural warmth with a bit more top end. As far as the bridge goes the Air Classic is a slightly more modern take on vintage buckers, I'd be wary of putting anything too hot there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

so, if i said what are the best pickups for only clean tones, with a semi hollow, you would say the Humbucker From Hell and Air Classic?

Or would you say they're best for what sound i posted on the first post
how will that compare to the tone of say eric claptons Gibson ES 335?
Just wondering
Quote by mulefish
so, if i said what are the best pickups for only clean tones, with a semi hollow, you would say the Humbucker From Hell and Air Classic?

Or would you say they're best for what sound i posted on the first post

Unfortunately nothings what I'd class as "good" for the sounds you want - but if you want a more modern set of higher outbut pickups with good cleans then you can do worse than those two.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc