So what do you guys think?

I'm thinking one of the fender basses, primarily jazz for slap funk and prec. for phingerphunk. How would the Aerodyne fit in there

shadier side: this is a veiled attempt to get you guys to help me pick out a funk bass.
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
ive got a fender areodyne j-bass and i like it pretty well (i dont play funk all that much) but when i fiddle around with the tone and j bass pickup and can get some pretty awsome slap tones,
Is this a serious question? Funk was BORN with Bootsy Collins playing a jazz bass in James Borwn. There is nothing so funky as a jazz bass with a rip roaring neck pickup, played over the bridge pickup.

My California soul brother, Mr. Rocco Prestia and I do play funk on a Precision Bass. And yes, he's predominately fingerstyle, but the sound of slap on a Precision can work as well.

But Bales is right, this is a space where the Jazz Bass tends to rule. But my advice is don't limit your options.
fender jazz bass

that is all
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by anarkee

My California soul brother, Mr. Rocco Prestia and I do play funk on a Precision Bass. And yes, he's predominately fingerstyle, but the sound of slap on a Precision can work as well.

But Bales is right, this is a space where the Jazz Bass tends to rule. But my advice is don't limit your options.

He also STILL rocks a mullet. Are you really going to trust a man like that?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
He also STILL rocks a mullet. Are you really going to trust a man like that?

With my life and all things bass, Bales

Btw, I'm seeing ToP again this summer and hope to finally meet him. My bass teacher is good friends with David Garibaldi and I stand a decent chance of at least standing in his presence and stammering stupidly.
If you have the budget for a high-end Fender Jazz Bass, you should think about a Musicman Stingray. In my opinion they are better for funk than a Jazz Bass, but it depends what kind of tone you are looking for
I'm with Anarkee on this, Precision bass all the way.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I think both precision and jazz could easily pull it off, but personally I'd get the precision. People say the jazz is versatile, and I can't argue with that, but I think the precision is too. Good for slap, funk, metal, rock, etc.
signature
I think funk is such a diverse genre you can pretty much use any bass for it.

Warwick (Streamer Stage I especially), Fender, Spector, Schecter.

My personal favourite would be a Warwick Streamer Stage I.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
washburn bootsy collins sig. all the way..
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by Nutter_101
Warwick (Streamer Stage I especially), Fender, Spector, Schecter.

Thank you for bringing this past the realm of Fender. Yes, their basses can be nice, but they are not the end-all of bass guitars.
I really think the Jazz bass is the better option when it comes to funk bass lines. The precision doesnt really have enough jive on the treble side of the sound. This results in a very groggy and dirty sound. On an active jazz however, you get an edgy "electric" sound from the bridge pickup.

In my opinion, if you dont plan on slapping A LOT, I would say the Jazz is the best of both worlds. Plus the slim neck makes it a lot easier to play on than the p-bass.
Guys! the bass dont play it self do it? nor do they have nametags saying "funkmusic" "rockmusic" etc?

Its the player who decides if its a good funk bass
I like the slap and pop tone i get from my precision, but then again i built mine for just that. I am lookin into buying a jazz so i can have a more versitile setup. So i say you're good either way, play both at ur local guitar shop and see which one you like better. and I agree with untitled039, if you got the cash and like the feel and tone of it, get a Stingray. They are one of the most beautiful and best sounding basses in my opinion.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Nutter_101
I think funk is such a diverse genre you can pretty much use any bass for it.
Leave it to Nutter to make the good points, the handsome devil.

"Funk" is so wide open that you can fit anything in there if you try hard enough. That's what she said.

Personal preference, I'd also get a Stinger. And by "I'd get a Stinger" I mean "I love playing funk and whenever I have enough money I'm getting a Stinger if it means not eating for a month."
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
funk...
G&L L-2000/8.75
MM Stingray/9
Fender P-bass/8.5
Fender J-bass/8.4
Fender Aerodyne J-bass/8.501
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
any fender a stingray with good eq will work too
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H