I am in a couple of bands and most of our genres are rock or blues... would a killswitch benefit me in any way? I also have yet to mod anything on a guitar so would this be a good place to start?
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
Last edited by Milkywaykid1 at Apr 27, 2008,
if u want a kill switch on ur sg and dont use the neck pick-up just turn the volume off on the neck pick up and use the toggle switch as a kill switch
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
or pay to have a button installed, u'll find u get easier control than using the toggle switch.
Quote by Vampire 255
if u want a kill switch on ur sg and dont use the neck pick-up just turn the volume off on the neck pick up and use the toggle switch as a kill switch

oh yeah lol thanks didnt think of this method; also having to pay for the button to be installed.. how much will it cost?
I really wouldn't suggest getting a killswitch put in for you....

You can do it yourself for, like, ~$20 if you don't have anything right now (so that's the cost for a cheap soldering kit and switch... if you've got a soldering iron/solder, then switches are very cheap..).
Look up the killswitch thread for diagrams/ help with it if you need it.
It's extremely simple to do, even if you haven't worked with electronics/ tried any sort of guitar modding.
Hi man. just my 2 cents from EXPERIENCE. I'm constantly modding my gear. For a killswitch you need a spdt not a spst switch, because you need it to cut to ground, otherwise when you kill the signal it'll generate heaps of noise.

another pointer, it's very very very hard to find spdt momentary pushbutton switches with a shaft long enough to fit through a guitar body, it's only really a mod you should be considering if you have a guitar with a pickguard or you want to do a multi-layered drill hole (which is definately not a lasting thing.)

Just my 2 cents. Fashion yourself a pedal with a SPDT swtich in it and two jacks in and out and you'll have a tru-bypass killswtich in pedal form that you can use in the select songs you need to. Probably more versatile because it's easyier to tap your foot then remove your picking hand and tap a button. Perhaps slower though.
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
Just my 2 cents. Fashion yourself a pedal with a SPDT swtich in it and two jacks in and out and you'll have a tru-bypass killswtich in pedal form that you can use in the select songs you need to. Probably more versatile because it's easyier to tap your foot then remove your picking hand and tap a button. Perhaps slower though.

Yeah...I tried the whole pedal killswitch thinking that I could probably tap fast enough. Its actually really hard. I wouldn't advise it.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by suicidalmoose
Hi man. just my 2 cents from EXPERIENCE. I'm constantly modding my gear. For a killswitch you need a spdt not a spst switch, because you need it to cut to ground, otherwise when you kill the signal it'll generate heaps of noise.

another pointer, it's very very very hard to find spdt momentary pushbutton switches with a shaft long enough to fit through a guitar body, it's only really a mod you should be considering if you have a guitar with a pickguard or you want to do a multi-layered drill hole (which is definately not a lasting thing.)

for button you wire differently. all the button does is make a connection between the hot and ground wire. there for killing you signal.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
hmm i think ill try the kill switch on my cort first and if it goes ok ill do it on my sg just dont wanna be hassling with something when i dont have a clue what im doing..
As stated before, it's a pretty simple mod, even if you haven't had any other experiences with modding or wiring. the Killswitch thread is good for all the terminology and diagrams. For a crash course, check this site out:
http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/killswitch.html
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Quote by suicidalmoose

You can ground the signal with a SPST switch. You take the hot wire and solder it to one lug and solder the ground wire to the other lug. It doesn't generate much, if any noise.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by suicidalmoose

Clearly your EXPERIENCE hasnt helped you with understanding electronics...A SPST will work fine there is no need for the double pole.