Hey all you Aussie UGers out there, I have a question for the gigging ones.

I read all sorts of stories on UG about 15-18 yr old bands playing pubs and bars and big and BIG school shows (which i am SURE don't exist in my areas schools!) and was wondering what the AUSSIE music scene is like for the up and coming or just starting out muso lookin for a gig. I know it is dynamically diff. to America"s seemingly 10 time larger local scenes. Or am I just lookin in the wrong places? Guys I know in a moderately succesfully local band basically play comps, small self organized gigs, and I think a coup0le of local gala/festival days. I think what I want is to do the comp ciruit until i get a good placing (and the prizes are DAMN SWEEt too! This band came second in two - first one they won recording time and second one they won a cymbal case, a bass and a flame shaped guitar!) and then try to open for my mates bands and then move to festivals and pub or clubs.... but that is another question. \

ESpecially around sydney, for the young muso are pubs a no go? I have been to the US, but didn't just hang in pubs, but I gewt the feeling they are a little more quiet and contained than the lound, large, drinking truckies found in Aussie pubs...apart from campus bars... but i ain't in UNI am I!. What does a young band need to do to get gigs IN AUSTRALIA?
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
All you need to do is ring up places and ask for gigs, some of the better places ask for a demo but most don't bother. Most important things are networking and self promotion, my band got it's earlier gigs by knowing people who could get us decent spots and once you get the gigs you need to bring a crowd, that's all that matters, if you get a reputation of bringing a crowd places will call you and they will ask YOU to play. Then again if you are underage your chances of playing pubs are a lot worse, you can usually look around for local underage shows but they are really quite pointless except to get you more prepared for a real gig. Also be careful about the places you try to play at, because some 'pubs' are strictly cover bands only and trying to put on a show there is stupid idea.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Thanks man....ring up what places? Were did ur band 'ring up'? Thats half my problem really. Not so much the logistics of it, they will either say yes or no, but were?
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!