Im looking into selling my Jackson and buying a Xiphos, I was just wondering if it would be worth it or not.
It looks like a good upgrade, if you dropped an OFR in it it'd be a perfect guitar
Quote by Horlicks
It looks like a good upgrade, if you dropped an OFR in it it'd be a perfect guitar

hardly an upgrade, more of a step sideways to be honest. Even down a step if you prefer the feel and sound of a jackson to ibanez (which i do)
RR3 > Xiphos imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
It does seem like more of a step sideways or (maybe) down, than an upgrade, which means that it will be your personal preference that decides which guitar to get/keep. Try out the Xiphos, and if you honestly like it more, then go for it. However, don't buy it and sell the Jackson without trying it, as you may find that you like the Jackson more.

EDIT: TS, also notice that each response until now has been made by someone who either owns a Jackson or Ibanez. All the Jackson owners have said Jackson (sort of), and Ibanez owners said Ibanez. Not that we're biased or anything...
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by Blackballed at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by Diamond Dave
hardly an upgrade, more of a step sideways to be honest. Even down a step if you prefer the feel and sound of a jackson to ibanez (which i do)

Meh, personally I thought the RR3 sounded incredibly thin because it had a real thin alder body. The ibanez has a little more meat and to me it looks cooler. i prefer the pickups, wood and neck too.
I love the Xiphos, but it's not really worth it considering your current guitar.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Hi I owned an RR3 and I've played a xiphos at the music store. To be honest if you're at the stage when you know a good guitar by just playing it, go to a second hand music store. Or just play your way through a normal music store. I own a cort made in the 90's that plays better then my thousand dollar RR3 or the ESP LTD F-500 had, and I got it for 250 dollars. I upgraded the TREM to a USA Kahler and the pickups to USA dimarzio's which took care of the hardware issue (something to consider with older, cheaper guitars.)
Marty
^I wish a goblin made my guitar...

They're so metal

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

My only complaint with my Jackson is the harmonics are really weak, How are the Harmonics on the Xiphos and how far are the strings from the fret board?
I want to comment that I thought the Xiphos was a bit uncomfortable while playing sitting down. It's kind of awkward. I'd keep that RR3.
will the xiphos give me a little more of a metal sound for me the rr3 is just a little to much like a rock sound. Is the xiphos a heavier sounding guitar?
That has nothing to do with your guitar. Your amp does all of that. Your guitar only knows how to register clean sounds. Then your amp adds overdrive and specific high/mid/low. Experiment with your gain and EQ, and your bottom end.
The only thing that could be is that the xiphos has pickups that are slightly hotter, but you dont want pikups that are too hot. You can do way more with moderate-high output pickups than with extremely high output pickups.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by JacksonRhodes
will the xiphos give me a little more of a metal sound for me the rr3 is just a little to much like a rock sound. Is the xiphos a heavier sounding guitar?

Yeah, it's definitely heavier sounding.

I can link you to some clips of brutal/technical death metal bands using them if you want.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

the xiphos is a nice guitar... but its hard to say which is better. It depends on how each feels to you.

you could always throw some EMG's in your RR3 for a heavier sound
Quote by J rock
the xiphos is a nice guitar... but its hard to say which is better. It depends on how each feels to you.

you could always throw some EMG's in your RR3 for a heavier sound

EMG's in a RR3 sound exactly the same as EMG's in a broom.
I always shiver and weap when i see expensive les pauls or jacksons or ESP's with EMG's. You dont need an expensive guitar at all if you put emg's in there.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
EMG's in a RR3 sound exactly the same as EMG's in a broom.
I always shiver and weap when i see expensive les pauls or jacksons or ESP's with EMG's. You dont need an expensive guitar at all if you put emg's in there.

Expensive guitars usually have better necks, hardware, trems, feel, finish etc.

If you want the sound of EMGs, you still need the other stuff.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Yes, but you loose the specific tone of the guitar. And thats a shame.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^True, which is why I like passives better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i say keep the jackson because the RR3 is a pretty sweet guitar and the xiphos looks pretty ugly and that edge III will kill you unless you get an OFR
Quote by JacksonRhodes
My only complaint with my Jackson is the harmonics are really weak, How are the Harmonics on the Xiphos and how far are the strings from the fret board?

Quote by JacksonRhodes

As stated, none of those really necessitate switching to a Xiphos. Some of those don't even have to do with the specific guitar, either.

The distance between the fretboard and the strings is called the "action" and can be adjusted to your liking on any guitar.

The rest (the tone and harmonics) really only have to do with the pickups, and the amp.
the xiphos is uncofortable sitting down and if u play stading up the neck will dive. the neck felt really slow and the edge trem staid in tune like crap
It sounds like i should just stick with the rr3.
thanks for all the answers.
Last edited by JacksonRhodes at Apr 29, 2008,
I prefer my Xiphos to my Jackson.

Neck-through > Bolt-on.
Mahagony > Alder.
DiMarzio > Seymour Duncan.

The Xiphos will have better sustain (neck-through), deeper tones (mahagony) and more power from the DeActivators. You mentioned you want a more metal tone, which you will certainly get if you get the Xiphos.

And personally, it is NOT uncomfortable at all to play sitting down. In fact, and this is preference, I find they play more comfortably than even a superstrat shape.

Neck-dive is not an issue if you take 5 minutes to move the strap holders. I solved the problem the first day I got it, and have had no issues with it since.

And the Edge III gets so much bad attention for nothing. Most people that complain about them probably have never played on one, and simply jumped on the bandwagon. They keep in tune well as long as it's set-up well.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal