I'm just about to turn 25 in a month and I've been a little familiar with the guitar for a year, but only until recently have I been taking it serious.

My final goal is to get good enough to eventually start a band because I love the fact that I could be on the road traveling and playing music.

My questsions are, how well do you need to play to achieve this goal?

And what are the roles of each member in the band as far as playing. This has always eluded me. I'm totally cluseless when it comes to anything that has to do with a band.

I've heard the drums lead the band, do others listen to him the whole time or is it only if you lose your place when playing, you can get back on beat.

What do each member listen for as to cues? Who's listening to who?

Any in-depth advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you!
Ok, firstly you must be good enough to perform your songs perfectly everytime.

And tbh when i've been in bands it has changed as to where the ques come from, depending on the song. Sometimes bass, sometimes drums etc. But pretty much, you will practise the songs to death, so in theory you will know it so well ques wont matter.
All the band members bounce off each other. the drums are important as they keep the time, but the guitarist may listen to the bassist and lay the guitar over his work. Think of it as painting a masterpiece. The drums are the canvas, but everybody else works with each other as colurs do to create the art.... you follow?
Quote by ooder the cow
Ok, firstly you must be good enough to perform your songs perfectly everytime.

No... everyone makes mistakes, even the big bands. You just need to get good enough that you can improv around the mistakes and keep the song rolling.

That doesn't say much about how good you need to be though because it could be an easy song. So as far as how good you need to be, it really depends on what kind of songs you're doing and if you want your sound to be based around vocals, guitar, or whatnot.

These roles are usually essential in a band: Lead Guitar (you?), Vocals (also plays guitar sometimes), Rhythm Guitar, Drums, Bass, and Ian Anderson on flute

...well maybe you can get by without the flute.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Not to mention two keyboardists, and enough headbands for everyone.
Quote by Billyjson
No... everyone makes mistakes, even the big bands. You just need to get good enough that you can improv around the mistakes and keep the song rolling.

yes, but you at least need to know your limits...dont be like dragonforce and make ur mark in the studio instead of live.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
The drums set the tempo, the bass (as a part of the rhythm section) helps the drums to do this and kinda provides a link between the rhythm and the melody, vocals help you to know where you have got to in the song, rhythm guitar adds body to the sound and lead guitar is just there to look pretty.
As for how well you have to play, how long is a piece of string? It's one of those impossible questions because people appreciate completely different styles of music played by people of completely different competancy.
What I can tell you though is that if you spent years and years practicing guitar on your own, you eventualy be good.... at playing guitar on your own.
If you want to play in a band, find a bunch of musicians that are all at roughly the same level as yourself and jam with them. What happens is that eventualy everyone will start gelling with each other, you will get tighter and eventualy you will be a band that can hold it's own in front of an audience.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 28, 2008,
it really depends on your genre and who your playing with. generally the positions in a band are

Lead Guitar-does most of the Soloing and occaisional fills. otherwise hes just copies the rhythm guitar

Rythm Guitar-plays chords heaps. the bulk of the sound comes from here

Bass-tends to play something along the lines of the rhythm guitar, but blends a bit with the drummer. Some rare bassists will take lead lines for some songs.

Vocals-carries the message of the song

Drums-keeps the time and provides a backbone to everything

Keyboards-tend to play harmonies with everyone else. does fills during empty spots in most cases

There are also other numerous instruments used less often including

Turntables-some newer bands use them (slipknot, linkin park). personally i dont see the point. they make scratchy sounds.

Percussion-keeps the beat. basically its a pretty useless job unless you have bongos or something.
Well, in my band I take "ques" from the drummer, we are on the same wavelength so much it's incredible. As has been said above, you need to be good enough to play your own songs relatively flawlessly but mistakes will always happen, no matter how much you practice.
Quote by Ali-b912
it really depends on your genre and who your playing with. generally the positions in a band are

Lead Guitar-does most of the Soloing and occaisional fills. otherwise hes just copies the rhythm guitar

Rythm Guitar-plays chords heaps. the bulk of the sound comes from here

Bass-tends to play something along the lines of the rhythm guitar, but blends a bit with the drummer. Some rare bassists will take lead lines for some songs.

Vocals-carries the message of the song

Drums-keeps the time and provides a backbone to everything

Keyboards-tend to play harmonies with everyone else. does fills during empty spots in most cases

There are also other numerous instruments used less often including

Turntables-some newer bands use them (slipknot, linkin park). personally i dont see the point. they make scratchy sounds.

Percussion-keeps the beat. basically its a pretty useless job unless you have bongos or something.

That's a good breakdown, though i'd like to add that keyboards also often provide a drone to go with the rhythm/lead guitars.
Quote by 601210
That's a good breakdown, though i'd like to add that keyboards also often provide a drone to go with the rhythm/lead guitars.

Keyboards can also provide leads as well as double or harmonize with the lead guitar such as Symphony X, Dream Theater and Children of Bodom do.
depends on your style
if you want to be in a band like gorgoroth all you need to do is grab a guitar and destroy it with your pick
for real bands you just need to be able to play your songs properly

about the roles(as in my band)

ME(bass, vocals,crazy stuff,fun)
GUY1(lead guitar, vocals(most people think he sucks at this),attitude)
GUY2(drums,whoknowswhatthingy)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400