Jackson RR3
36 41%
Jackson DK2
13 15%
Other (Specify, for the love of god!)
23 26%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
Well, in a last thread I decided that I was selling my LP Studio for a MIM Tele and a guitar with a locking trem and high- output passives to be named later.

Well, I just dialed an absolutely godly tone into my amp with my LP and I changed my mind.

So I'm just getting the metal guitar now. There's a few that I'm looking at.

1. Ibanez Xiphos- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-XPT700-Electric-Guitar?sku=512557
Pros- Sick pickups, awesome look, and I can get one for $500 off zzounds.
Cons- Edge III. Exactly how god- awful is it? I'll probably swap it out for an OFR down the road, but it's not out of the question to gig with it, right?

2. Jackson RR3 Rhoads- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-RR3-Rhoads-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=512230
Pros- Like the Xiphos, looks godly. Love the JB in the bridge.
Cons- I've heard bad things about the Jazz in the neck. I don't use the neck pickup a lot, but it still makes me uneasy. Also, I'm not sure exactly how bad the LFR is.

3. Jackson DK2 Dinky- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668
Pros- Well, I'm not totally sold on the whole superstrat thing. But an HSS setup does seem interesting.
Cons- Will I really use the single- coils? How bad's the trem? Looks less mind- blowing than the Rhoads and Xiphos.

I'm open to other suggestions, of course. Price range isn't really fixed, I wouldn't really like to go above $750 new, as I'm probably buying used if at all possible.

I'm playing through a Mesa F30, and I'll use this guitar for Maiden, Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Satch, Steve Vai, As I Lay Dying, Wintersun, Children of Bodom, Symphony X, Into Eternity, etc.
try getting a used soloist, i got mine off of ebay for around 600$. or if you want to go with ibanez try the rg1570, they are pretty beastly and dont have the edge III. also dont even think about the new xiphos because of the edge III tremolo because it will crap out on you and you will be very pissed and frustrated
Last edited by ironman1478 at Apr 27, 2008,
id say the RR3 and swap out the trem but that's cos the Rhoads look so garsh darn swell, however its personal preference on the colours of that model
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ironman1478
try getting a used soloist, i got mine off of ebay for around 600$. or if you want to go with ibanez try the rg1570, they are pretty beastly and dont have the edge III. also dont even think about the new xiphos because of the edge III tremolo because it will crap out on you and you will be very pissed and frustrated

I like the look of that Soloist, hopefully I'll be able to find one for that price.

As for the Ibanez, I'm not big on the pickups. Stock IBZ pickups = , as per my experience.

I've heard bad things about the Edge III, but I've never actually heard anyone specify exactly what about it sucks so much. I believe you guys, but it'd be nice to figure out what makes it such a POS. And as I said, I'd probably swap out the trem on the Xiphos down the road.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 27, 2008,
Get the RR3 man. By far the best guitar of those 3 you posted. And dont worry about the '59. Its a great pickup.
The Dinky is cool too, but i personally dislike HSS guitars because the middle pickup is always in the way of my plectrum. You better gat a H-H guitar and split the neck humbucker.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I have a '08 Schecter Hellraiser, thru-body. ****ing love it. Definitely better than the Xiphos. I was considering the Xiphos, and while the guy was in the back trying to find it for me, I picked up the Hellraiser and ended up walking out of the store with that while the guy was still in the back, lol.
Quote by radioarizona
I have a '08 Schecter Hellraiser, thru-body. ****ing love it. Definitely better than the Xiphos. I was considering the Xiphos, and while the guy was in the back trying to find it for me, I picked up the Hellraiser and ended up walking out of the store with that while the guy was still in the back, lol.

So you didnt test the Xiphos? How can you know that its better then?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Get the RR3 man. By far the best guitar of those 3 you posted. And dont worry about the '59. Its a great pickup.
The Dinky is cool too, but i personally dislike HSS guitars because the middle pickup is always in the way of my plectrum. You better gat a H-H guitar and split the neck humbucker.

It's got an SH-2 Jazz, not an SH-1 '59.

Quote by radioarizona

I was thinking about it, but I just can't bring myself to buy a guitar with EMG's.
Gotta be Xiphos, all of it's features suggest it's the better choice, you could buy an OFR with the money saved
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It's got an SH-2 Jazz, not an SH-1 '59.

Oops, my bad.
I prefer the 59, but the Jazz aint a bad pickup at all. Just a matter of taste.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
So you didnt test the Xiphos? How can you know that its better then?

No no no, my mistake, didn't come out clear enough. I had tried it out and decided to buy it, but they had new ones in stock in the back, still in box, so the guy went in the back to get one for me. While he was back there I tried out the Hellraiser, and so forth and so on.
Get an ESP LTD MH-400 (or MH-1000).
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by radioarizona
No no no, my mistake, didn't come out clear enough. I had tried it out and decided to buy it, but they had new ones in stock in the back, still in box, so the guy went in the back to get one for me. While he was back there I tried out the Hellraiser, and so forth and so on.

ooh, i c.
Thats something i'd NEVER EVER do. I always want the guitar (that same specific model with that specific serial number) that i tested. Another guitar will again sound and play different.
I once ordered a salesguy to go get all of the same guitars they had in the back (it were Les Pauls) because i wanted to test them all. He was kinda pissed, but in the end, i bought a guitar in that store, and i knew it was the best out of 23 Les pauls.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
ooh, i c.
Thats something i'd NEVER EVER do. I always want the guitar (that same specific model with that specific serial number) that i tested. Another guitar will again sound and play different.
I once ordered a salesguy to go get all of the same guitars they had in the back (it were Les Pauls) because i wanted to test them all. He was kinda pissed, but in the end, i bought a guitar in that store, and i knew it was the best out of 23 Les pauls.

Trust me, I wouldn't buy something I couldn't test out. :p I wasn't just going to be like "Oh sweet thanks!" and walk out.

Anyways, on topic, I prefer the Hellraiser over the Xiphos.
Heres what I think you should do:

Get a good Jackson soloist and throw in Dimarzios. Jari from Wintersun used a Soloist and a Telecaster to record their album. Now he uses PGM's and JEM's live too. But he used a soloist and theyre great guitars for that type of music.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Last edited by Teh Forest King at Apr 27, 2008,
DEAN FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
I will say that the sound of the D-Activator pickups in the Xiphos was incredible. I played through a Line 6 Spider Valve when trying it out, nothing too special, but the pickups pushed such a great, great sound. That was the selling point for me.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I was considering it, but it's essentially the Rhoads, but less cool- looking.

I prefer maple fretboards.

If you like looks, why not try the RR5?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
I prefer maple fretboards.

If you like looks, why not try the RR5?

I like maple fretboards as well, but only a tiny bit over rosewood, to the point where cosmetics make more of a difference in my decision. Ebony's actually my favorite.

I don't want the RR5 because it's a hardtail.
Quote by radioarizona
Alright, so:

-Unique body shape
-Not EMGs
-Locking trem

Pretty good idea of what you're looking for?

I'd like a unique body shape, but it's by no means a necessity- the last 2 are waaaaayyyy more important. Still, if it's between guitars with identically awesome specs, one with a strat shape and one with a V or X shape, I'm going with the cooler- looking one.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I like maple fretboards as well, but only a tiny bit over rosewood, to the point where cosmetics make more of a difference in my decision. Ebony's actually my favorite.

I don't want the RR5 because it's a hardtail.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-KE3-Kelly-Electric-Guitar?sku=511669

Eh?
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Does it have to be 24 frets? If not, the Ibanez Prestige S series has a bunch of AMAZING guitars. If I had the money I would have gotten one of those. And hell, if you like the Prestige S series but you need 24 frets and are willing to wait, they're releasing them with 24 frets pretty soon.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd looked at that but I've never heard of the trem. What exactly is it?

One of Jackson's trems. I played it at Mr. Music in the West Edmonton Mall. The trem will last you a while, I raped the trem for about 20 minutes straight before the A string finally went flat. That was hardcore usage though, just noise and divebomb after divebomb.

I think it's a perfect fit for an OFR if I'm not mistaken.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by radioarizona
Does it have to be 24 frets? If not, the Ibanez Prestige S series has a bunch of AMAZING guitars. If I had the money I would have gotten one of those. And hell, if you like the Prestige S series but you need 24 frets and are willing to wait, they're releasing them with 24 frets pretty soon.

They're a little too expensive, but they do look nice as hell. What exactly is the deal with the Dimarzio IBZ pickups, though? Are they basically Dimarzio- designed pieces of crap?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd like a unique body shape, but it's by no means a necessity- the last 2 are waaaaayyyy more important. Still, if it's between guitars with identically awesome specs, one with a strat shape and one with a V or X shape, I'm going with the cooler- looking one.

How about a Gus G sig?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Gus-G.-600-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=512897&src=3SOSWXXA

Bit expensive, but you could try ebay, or get it used somewhere else.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
How about a Gus G sig?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Gus-G.-600-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=512897&src=3SOSWXXA

I never noticed it before, but it looks terrible.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Phill-Rock
How about a Gus G sig?

It's a bit too expensive if you ask me, even if I go used. For that price I could get a Xiphos and drop an OFR in it.

Not to mention the fact that it looks like a Dean ML with Down's syndrome.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
They're a little too expensive, but they do look nice as hell. What exactly is the deal with the Dimarzio IBZ pickups, though? Are they basically Dimarzio- designed pieces of crap?

Nah, they're pretty decent for stock pickups. Weren't really too noisy or anything, and the neck pickup gives off a pretty warm jazzy sound if you turn back on the tone. Really nice clean sound. The neck and the comfort of the body was what turned me on to them. When they release the 24 fret series, it'll be my purchase.
Quote by Colgate Total
I never noticed it before, but it looks terrible.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It's a bit too expensive if you ask me, even if I go used. For that price I could get a Xiphos and drop an OFR in it.

Not to mention the fact that it looks like a Dean ML with Down's syndrome.

It does look horrible there.

But in real life, especially when someone is holding it, it looks much better. And it's one of the best sound guitars I've heard.

How about this:http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_js100tr.htm

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Page 1 of 2