This is a question directed towards the metalheads here.

We all know that spikes are related to metal (and punk, but I'll concentrate on metal). Why is this? And do you wear them?

My opinion is that spikes are related to metal because people who lack knowledge in the genre seem to think it's "devil music" (in fact, I've had many friends call metal this). From a glance, metal does sound like that (at least, the black/death does). But why are spikes related to this?

I used to wear spikes, when I was into Slipknot and SOAD a lot more. But now I've stopped and I'm much more loose when it comes to my look.

I'm talking about:

to

Because the lead singer of Judas Priest started wearing them with black leather because he's gay and got the idea from gay clubs, then everybody copied them.

True story.
Quote by shark38j
You need a Flux Capacitor ........ Oh, wait, that's for time travel.

Quote by GiantRaven
Watch this one lads, I think he has intelligence!

Quote by unplugtheradio
or maybe he has an opinion *GASP*
Quote by Kadaj
Because the lead singer of Judas Priest started wearing them with black leather because he's gay and got the idea from gay clubs, then everybody copied them.

True story.

Yep, pretty much sums it up.
This happened because of Rob Halford.
He's gay and as you might know they wear a lot of leather with ornaments like spikes / studs etc..
He started wearing that on stage and as a result 'metalheads' started wearing it too.
So in fact, all metalheads wearing those are actually wearing cloths gays used to wear or are still wearing.

This is no joke btw.
Edit: too late
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Bitches don't know about Judas Priest.

Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
I've never understood it.

The most metal clothing, to me, is just to wear your street clothes. Metal doesn't have a uniform; that's one of the main messages to me.
So if someone says you're gay because you wear that, he's not completely wrong
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Metalcredge
Bitches don't know about Judas Priest.

No, they dont... and its a damn shame.

if you dont recognize the guys in that photo, go get educated:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365376
Cos spikes can be used to kill things and that is b00tal!!

But tbh it just looks stupid lol
Halford .
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by Renka
I've never understood it.

The most metal clothing, to me, is just to wear your street clothes. Metal doesn't have a uniform; that's one of the main messages to me.

You must be a thrash fan
Quote by Vermintide
You must be a thrash fan

Thrash had the best clothing trend to be honest. It wasn't over the top, but you could spot a thrash fan anywhere.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by TheQuailman

Is the blonde guy madly in love with the spikey guy?

fixed
Quote by Vermintide
You must be a thrash fan

It's the same with death metal, which would be the two genres I listen to mostly.
Quote by Ventor
This happened because of Rob Halford.
He's gay and as you might know they wear a lot of leather with ornaments like spikes / studs etc..
He started wearing that on stage and as a result 'metalheads' started wearing it too.
So in fact, all metalheads wearing those are actually wearing cloths gays used to wear or are still wearing.

This is no joke btw.
Edit: too late
It doesn't come from gay fashion, it comes more from bondage. I doubt that you see very many people, gay or straight, wearing that on a daily basis.

This is coming from a non-metal fan.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I think spikes are stupid. They just look poserific to me. If you want to "dress metal" Then either wear street clothes (a la thrash) or wear some black leather pants. Personally, I think the best 'metal' get up is just black jeans, and either a black tank top if you're buff, and if you're not, a military jacket (like what I've got).
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by TheQuailman

Is the blonde guy mounting the spikey guy?

VORTEX mounting SHAGRATH ty, dont show disrespect to one of my favourite bands!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost