Page 1 of 2
Iv'e been playing a little under a year now and im wondering whens it right to get a new guitar. I have a yamaha erg-121 at the minute, it may not sound good but it plays well for me but im thinking of getting an new better sounding one.
Does any one have any ideas on what i should get im paticularly looking at Jacksons and Epiphone, please help.
I buy a new one when i feel like it. When im tired of the old one, or rarely play one anymore, i sell it and get a new one.
You will never see me have more than 4 guitars, because i always play on my favorites and sell the less fortunate. Ive had over 25 different guitars that way. And ive never regreted one sale.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I do it depending on needs. Right now, I just do recordings, so I strut my CE24 around-- very versatile. I also carry an Ovation Celebrity for acoustic tracks. On the other hand, if I were to move up stage, I might get a backup. Or, if there are songs that require different tunings, I'd carry an extra. If you have a really crappy guitar, that isn't playable or doesn't record nicely, go ahead and get a new one. But, tone mostly comes from your amp, so keep that in mind.

When asking for advice, put in your: Genre, usage, and price range.

And I always suggest a PRS SE edition, those are very good guitars.
I've always only had one guitar at a time. Never really felt the need for more. I buy a new one every year on my birthday though, haha. It marks my anniversary of guitar-playing so I treat myself.
If you're unhappy with your sound, that's to do with your amp, not your guitar. Yamaha's stock pickups are very good in my opinion, certainly compared to anything else in the price range.

You'll know when you need to upgrade your guitar when it feels like the guitar itself is holding you back somehow. Obviously you can buy as new one whenever you feel like it, but for now I reckon a new amp is a priority.
Yeah the amp sucks i may look for a marshall in the £80-£120 range if any one can help i'll appreciate it. Thanks for all your input so far.
Quote by Ibanez455
Yeah the amp sucks i may look for a marshall in the £80-£120 range if any one can help i'll appreciate it. Thanks for all your input so far.

NO, don't buy any marshall that is called MG or AVT
Quote by Ibanez455

Brand name means nothing, just so you know. If you're going to be recording or gigging I suggest you save a bit more.
i started off by buying a guitar based on my skill level, so my first guitar was a yamaha pcifica 012 which was like £99 and i still own it and think they are great beginner guitars, then i got a Strat USA, and after a while i descovered it was an awful example of a Strat, it had the S-1 switching and was a high end deluxe model, but it was awful, so i traded it in along with my USA telecaster and got a decent 1979 Strat which i love. then i got a Ibanez RG prestige, and then 1 year later i got a USA PRS.

Guitar isnt about being ranked or judged on your playing, theres people who simply collect guitars for fun and dont play them.

'Dont let anyone make you feel like you dont deserve what you want.'
I get a new guitar, if I feel I can't play on it as I want too, and that has to do with my skills.

Won't get a new for a long time, because the one I have now can practically do anything.
But before that, I had a Squier, bad inotiation and floyd, + crappy string action, then I got an RG roadrage black for confirmation, wich was nice.
The trem went out of tune pretty fast though, and it didn't have that buttery action really high end guitars have.

So I fell over this offer, an Ibanez s540 for 500$, and I've gotta say it's an amazing guitar. It has it all.
Good looks, with the maple fretboard that is, nice sound, because I switched the EMGs out for passives, really low and good action, tremolo that works wonders, and stays in tune.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I get a guitar based on how much cash I have and how much I want it.

Skill don't mean shit. I started on an Ibanez RG Presitge.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total

Skill don't mean shit. I started on an Ibanez RG Presitge.

I agree with you, but there are extremes,

like a 30year old whos been playing for 1 year and already has Gibsons Les pauls, Strats and PRS. and they post videos on youtube, playing awful lead.

But then, there are worst things to spend money on.
Quote by DieKrupps

like a 30year old whos been playing for 1 year and already has Gibsons Les pauls, Strats and PRS. and they post videos on youtube, playing awful lead.

Well what makes you any more deserving?

If he can afford it, let him buy it.

That's just me though.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I just buy one when I want one.

Guitar playing isn't an RPG you know? You don't need to be a certain level to get a certain guitar.

Could you imagine?

Guy one: Man, I just got this Gibson Les Paul, it's awesome.
Guy 2: Dude really!? You must be at least over level 30!
Guy 1: Level what now?
Guy 2: You ARE level 30 right?
Guy 1: Uh... no?
Guy 2: *takes Gibson*
Guy 1:
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
In my experience you buy a new guitar based on how much money you have lying around.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Upgrade when you have the money, but I'd suggest upgrading farther than Jackson or Epiphone. Jackson tone is just plain...bad. But that's just my suggestion and opinion.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
I think you should get a new amp.

The amp that comes with that yamaha aint so great (I have it), not bad for starting out, but you should upgrade amp first for sure.

I quite like the Roland Cube 30/60 watt, and they sound good to me, Just don't get an MG, you just pay for the name with that amp and it prolly has the same tone as the yamaha amp you have now :P.
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
You'll always see a guitar which you'd love to have, buying one every time you want one isn't likely to be possible. I buy them when I come into some money (which is very, very rarely) and when I feel like I've earned it somehow. Like I'll say 'I'm not gonna get this guitar until I can do this or I've done this' - I only have two guitars but that's how it's worked so far anyway.
I never put into consideration the price of a guitar. What I do is when I go to a shop, i play the guitars they have. I always base my guitar opinions on playability, never sound or looks, or features, or name, or if kirk hammet uses it.

When I have found a guitar I like the playability of more than the one i currently have, i buy it once i get the money for it, regardless of it being $500 or $5000. But I always suggest saving up big time for an amp, and getting that first. A $100 guitar sounds the same as a $1000000 guitar if played through a 15 watt.
Quote by SixString1989
A $100 guitar sounds the same as a $1000000 guitar if played through a 15 watt.

Thats the biggest load of crap ive ever heard. There are alot of amps having only 15 watts that are AWESOME. And i mean REALLY awesome.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Thats the biggest load of crap ive ever heard. There are alot of amps having only 15 watts that are AWESOME. And i mean REALLY awesome.

I shoud have reworded that better. I kinda just meant like a standard 15W practice amp that comes with starter packs.
I think you should upgrade your guitar when you feel like it's right for you. I've only been playing since November, and I have 3 Guitars.

My first is a Gibson/Baldwin LP made in china crappy $150 special. I played it for a couple of months, then got an Acoustic for Xmas, then a Couple of months later I got a PRS SE Standard.

So, if you want a new guitar, go get one. No big deal. You could just put better parts into you guitar too. I had some neck work done on my LP, had Active pick ups installed, and lowered the action, and It feels like a whole different guitar now.

+1 on the amp though. A decent amp is a must.
Quote by Horlicks
NO, don't buy any marshall that is called MG or AVT

I agree.

I have a roland 15x and I really like it. I bought it for $100 which is about 50 pounds?
I recomend it and if you have the money buy a 30watt.
Quote by Colgate Total

That's just me though.

exactly,I have a guitar I really like and an amp I'll keep around. I also have been swapping gear to try new things out,traded my tube amp for the Ibanez and now moving the Ibanez (I like my Hag better) to try another piece of gear out,what is not exact but all it's really costing me is shipping. I also bought another guitar JT Tele but I didn't fall in love with the maple fretboard so my son has it I have only been back to playing for what 5-6 months now (played some 20 years ago) & will be buying another amp next month & plan to have 4-5 guitars I like to play We don't have a great selection or didn't in my local shops but 1 has stepped his game up 2 months ago and carries some decent variety now. But ordering was a my main option unless I wanted a Ibanez/Fender/BC Rich/Marshall/Line 6. Now I have Fender/Gretch/Ibanez/Jackson/Floyd Rose/BC Rich/VOX/Kustom/Marshall/Line 6 & a couple more I forget. Unless I drive a couple hours or more 1 way
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
You get a new guitar when you feel there is something that the new guitar can provide you with which your current guitar can't. E.g. your current guitar might be a hardtail and you feel the need to have a guitar with a tremolo bridge.

Past that, I don't see the point in ever buying a guitar that doesn't actually offer you a new 'feature'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I just buy one when I want one.

Guitar playing isn't an RPG you know? You don't need to be a certain level to get a certain guitar.

Could you imagine?

Guy one: Man, I just got this Gibson Les Paul, it's awesome.
Guy 2: Dude really!? You must be at least over level 30!
Guy 1: Level what now?
Guy 2: You ARE level 30 right?
Guy 1: Uh... no?
Guy 2: *takes Gibson*
Guy 1:

I wish I could sig that, but no I have to do some advertising

And I buy guitars when I can afford one + I really need one. Cause I always want a new guitar, it's an itch that's always there. But I'm on the streets for a Mexican Strat right now to soup up, but I still don't have enough
well, honestly I would get a new guitar when you have the money and you think you'e good enough for one. I've been playing for about a year and I can improvise blues, solos, I know all the keys, etc. Plus I can play a decent amount of solos, so I'm opting for an american strat as an uprade from my squier (Which is REALLY nice now that I've rewireed it, and fixed the action/inotation)

Bottom line is, get a new guitar when you feel you're good enough for a new one. Your standards can be different that someone else's idea of good, but don't let others put you down for having a $3000 JEM after only a few months playing.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by SixString1989
I shoud have reworded that better. I kinda just meant like a standard 15W practice amp that comes with starter packs.

Hehe, i thought so. These starterkits suck bigtime indeed. Especially the amps.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i get a new guitar when i can no longer fix the one i'm using and when i have the money.

i will have been playing for 14 years at the end of this summer.. i suppose i should have something better than an RG321.. but as it is, its a great little workhorse.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by DieKrupps

I didnt know there was an SAT test for proving how worthy you are before you can own a nice guitar. If he has the $$$ now, I say get it and let his skill catch up.

Sounds like you just dont have any $$$$...

LOL
LOL

There's no rules.

There's no test.

There's no level.

Buy what you want, when you want it, if you have the money for it. There's no law saying you can't have that $10,000 PRS for your first guitar (unless you break the law to get that $10k...). Who's to say who deserves what? Do what makes you happy. My only input would be, just be sure it's what you want. Be sure that if you spend the money, you won't regret it. Be sure with yourself that there isn't anything better or different you should be spending your money on.

Don't go blaming me (or anyone else for that matter) if you spend $10k on something and realize that you just spent $10k on something that you don't care for after a week or so. People can give feedback, can influence, can suggest, and can bully. Ultimately, you're the one spending the money which makes it your decision. Just make sure you're good with your own decision.

Been practicing for just over a year myself, I've got six guitars, and three amps.

I don't gig or perform.

I just enjoy playing.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 27, 2008,
I have one guitar, a trusty american HSH strat. It is very versatile and does everything I need it to do, it plays very nice, action is low but not too low. I like to feel myself pushing on the strings.

I have gigged with it without a backup and will continue to do so for now.
Quote by Ibanez455
Iv'e been playing a little under a year now and im wondering whens it right to get a new guitar. I have a yamaha erg-121 at the minute, it may not sound good but it plays well for me but im thinking of getting an new better sounding one.
Does any one have any ideas on what i should get im paticularly looking at Jacksons and Epiphone, please help.

slap a set of dimarzio super dis. on it
Quote by Colgate Total

That's just me though.

exactly, didnt you read my previous post ?
Quote by Axe Murderer
I didnt know there was an SAT test for proving how worthy you are before you can own a nice guitar. If he has the $$$ now, I say get it and let his skill catch up.

Sounds like you just dont have any $$$$...

LOL

it was just an extreme example of what some people might consider impractical
Skill doesn't mean anything when wanting a new guitar!
Like if you like a JEM or a ESP (metal guitars in general) you don't need to be able to shred or do stupid fretboard wank-offs, you just buy it because you like it and enjoy playing guitar!

Also when you get a new guitar it inspires you to learn more things just because you have a lovely guitar and want to enjoy it.
Hope it helps

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by steven seagull
In my experience you buy a new guitar based on how much money you have lying around.

the man speaks the truth.

on topic. Like most people said, most of your tone comes from the amp. so if tone is the problem, id look into amps first. But speaking of guitars, id generally would want to get another if what i play then (the future) would require it. ie. i wanna shred herman li style, i get an Ibanez S series. I wanna do some mean BB King blues, i get a Gibson ES.

or id just stick with a good strat. preferably H/S/S configured. versatile piece of wood right there...
KsE

You know they rock.
If you made the money yourself, you should buy whatever guitar you want. Maybe you don't need that guitar, but if you worked for it then you deserve it.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Mesa Express 5:50
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
Page 1 of 2