im not the best guitarist in the world. I'v been working on Eugene's Trickbag by Steve vai more or less for ****s and giggles, i can get it down but obviously not as fast. I think the whole shred thing is amazing, what songs should i learn that can kinda ease me into the genre?? I'm trying to avoid Yngwie Malmsteen for now to find some easier stuff (if theres nothing easier then suggest w/e)
Learn fast blues and rock solos, such as the faster licks by Hendrix, Page, Slash, and Santana.

Work on exercises as well.*

*I like exercises because you can be satisfied without playing superfast. If you have a song that's played at 20 nps but you can only play it at 16, you will not be satisfied. On the otherhand, playing an exercise at 16 nps is a great accomplishment.

Edit: You're going to hear a lot of discussion about sweeping and tapping and legato. Before you try to master those techniques, make sure you are excellent at alternate picking; it is the most important speed technique.
i can already sweep a little, i can get down a 6 string sweep without too much difficulty, and legato is a bitch but i can more or less do some quick runs, i just cant change speed. Thanks for the advice and i'll look into it. And tapping i can do to some extent also, jsut rusty.
I'd probably look at some metal solos as well. Metallica and whatnot. They're not too difficult but I'm sure you can find some easier versions of the techniques you'll need for shred.
lol i can play nearly ever metallica song w/ exception of a few of the harder ones (hit the lights, trapped under ice, the 2nd solo from master of puppets)... k thats an exxageration but im obsessed with metallica and can play a lot of their stuff
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Edit: You're going to hear a lot of discussion about sweeping and tapping and legato. Before you try to master those techniques, make sure you are excellent at alternate picking; it is the most important speed technique.

For sure. Besides being the most common, it also spills over and affects every aspect of your playing. If you can't alternate pick well, you can't do much of anything well.
Search for Guthrie Govan's YouTube lesson on legato if it's still "a bitch" for you, as it'll probably help. Also, I cannot echo the "develop alternate picking" sentiment enough, that'll be your most useful tool. Play a lot of chromatic exercises to develop synchronization between the hands and you'll have a good start.
thyx guys, i'v seen guthrie's videos a few times before so im a little familiar but i'll deffinately be a little more determined now, thanks
Any Paganini Caprice. It's good exersise and they sound great imo. Don't forget to do scales and arpeggio exercises. I suggest the 16th caprice, it's pretty "mellow" and not too hard. When you get better, try the 5th and 24th caprices. The 24th is pretty much a bunch of exercises, but if played well, it will sound amazing.
paganini's caprice is the thing from crossroads/eugene's trick bag right? been workin on that too lolslower obviously but more as an excersize EDIT: im retarted disregard that
Last edited by BCWarlockRICH at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by BCWarlockRICH
that was really beautiful. was that u?

heh i wish...
i found it on youtube and have a copy of the sheet music... ive been working on it tho...
IF you can sweep i think you're probably ready for some Yngwie. With a whole hell of a lot of practice you could at least learn the intro to arpeggios from hell which would be awesome. All that remains. They have some amazing solo's that are totally playable.
I thought he alternate picks the arpeggios there.. anyways I'll give it another listen, I've always wanted to learn it but never got around to it.

What are your "shred stats" if you will. How fast can you play chromatic/regular scales? That'll give us an idea of where you are.
Quote by Gundersmoot
IF you can sweep i think you're probably ready for some Yngwie.
Yngwie uses a lot of sweeping, but plenty of his stuff is alternate picked as well.

Repeated for emphasis:

LEARN TO ALTERNATE PICK!
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but you should really learn to alternate pick well.
Protip: Alternate picking is your friend.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.