I always practice sitting down, I don't know why but I just do, it's just logical. And so the other day I decided to throw my guitar strap over my shoulder and stand up while practicing some, and I realised that a lot of the stuff that I can do perfectly sitting down... I can't do that well standing up. When you stand up it changes the position of your body completely and I find this kinda worrying. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but for me it makes a huge one.

Does anybody else have this issue?
Everyone does

You'll get used to it!!!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
yes that is what happens when you dont practice standing up... start doing it more often...

and at first strap your guitar really high... and as you get comfortable gradualy get it down... or if you're into Morello leave it up there.
Yup, cant say much more than that. The only tip here is practice more standing up mate.
Shorten you strap so your guitar is higher. Simple.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Just practice standing up. I can do a lot more sitting down because I have my strap so low. I can still play plenty good enough standing up, but if I want to record or anything, I sit down.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I haven't sat down to play guitar for a while, now. I like to dance around with my guitar. It helps me use more emotion. After a while, you'll get used to it.

EDIT: Some advice from Joe Satriani: Never write a song sitting down, because you don't know if you'll be able to play it standing up.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
first move your strap till your hand is resting as comfortably as it does while sitting, having your strap low helps you none
and ya its just all about practice standing up
i now almost always practice standing up
learn a song sitting down, then when you are more comfortable wi it then stand up. but do spend most of your time standing up, since you will be playing gigs stading up it makes more sense
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
i stand un with my guitar high. not that hih. Almost Malmsteen height. It makes me play good, but playing solos with the guitar at Slash height is very hard for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVIOuvDUGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFrcPgyRG9w&feature=related (that height is the one i mean
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Apr 27, 2008,
Don't play standing up...you'll develop all sorts of horrible habits. The guitar position is the first thing addressed in almost any lesson on proper technique. Ideally, for consistency, stamina, fluency, even response, and maximum range your fret hand wrist should be in FRONT of the fretboard, naturally occurring in the seated classical position. If you must stand, keep the guitar strapped high on your chest, so you'll be able to maintain proper wrist angle. Be a player first, not a "dancer", "performer" or "rock star". Other things to consider...elbow angle, guitar weight distribution (neck-heavy?), neck and back problems. I read somewhere about 75-80 percent of long-time guitar players have back problems. Even using proper technique can be troublesome. I have recently pulled a groin muscle that makes it difficult for me to spread my legs far enough to position the guitar on my left leg. Maybe using that seated position for so long tore the muscle! I KNOW I've thrown my back out just picking up a guitar. The body does tend to torque towards the fretting hand. In short there are no guaranties but playing with proper technique will increase your chances of an injury free, and consistent career.
Don't listen to him. theres nothing wrong with wearing it a bit lower than he is telling you to. you will not tear any muscles holding a guitar trust me.
I rarely play/practice sitting down anymore.
I have to be moving around in order to feel comfortable.
Plus, I'm not going to be someone who sits in a chair and plays guitar; I'm going to be a perfomer, therefore, I do everything standing.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Just practice standing up. Start with the guitar high enough so it feels the same as if you're sitting down. Then lower it some if you feel comfortable with it. It's really not that hard once you practice it a little.
Quote by jamierattigan
I always practice sitting down, I don't know why but I just do, it's just logical. And so the other day I decided to throw my guitar strap over my shoulder and stand up while practicing some, and I realised that a lot of the stuff that I can do perfectly sitting down... I can't do that well standing up. When you stand up it changes the position of your body completely and I find this kinda worrying. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but for me it makes a huge one.

Does anybody else have this issue?

That happens when you have your guitar hanging down to your knees.

The way I was taught by my high school jazz teacher is play with a strap when you're sitting down as well. Have your strap set so that when you stand up, the guitar is in the same position as when you were sitting down.
Quote by Simsimius
Shorten you strap so your guitar is higher. Simple.

+1,
You have to find a postion where you can move you hand around the neck of the guitar perfectly, No bending your wrist irregularly to hit that F barre chord!
i tend to move alot when im playing not like thrashing lol... but in a soul like manner...
i stand up because using a wah sitting is annoying lol...

sitting down makes me feel like a fat man...
i know its already been said but yea every1 has that problem im tryin to work on it myself