Page 1 of 4
There are loads of great guitarists from other generations that our generation of music fans remember and will do forever. But annoyingly, there are some who most people around my age (18) wouldnt recognise. Sure we all know clapton, hendrix, page, but who do you feel doesnt have enough recognition nowadays?

Ill go with Lindsay Buckingham from fleetwood mac. Most of my friends dont even know his name, and some have never even heard of the Mac!!! He is amazing, i'd recognise his playing a mile off because he has his own style. Alot of great guitar work, great songwriter too, definitely needs to be more known among the musical youth today!!

EDIT: example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGQKuUeQC8
Jerry Garcia, Peter Green, Jeff Beck. Just a couple old skool legends there for you.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Charlie Christian and Wes Montgomery.
Johnny Thunders, Cheetah Chrome, Sylvain Sylvain, Deniz Tek, Mick Jones, Cpt. Sensible any punk guitarist really
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Meh, I don't see the need to recognise older guitarists if they don't apply to me, like that guy from Fleetwood Mac. I don't like them that much, I never, ever listen to them, and I could name a thousand guitarists I feel are more inspirational to me than him.

It's all subjective to taste.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Jerry Garcia, Peter Green, Jeff Beck. Just a couple old skool legends there for you.
I completely agree with you on Jeff Beck, I've been listening to him a lot recently and I'm trying to turn my friend on to him too - I was playing him constipated duck (quite possibly the best song name ever) the other day and a few other songs from Blow By Blow and Beck's Guitar Shop.

Another terribly under appreciated/unknown guitarist is Rory Gallagher.
Roy buchanan
Quote by FunkasPuck
i swear, we are like the small gloucestershire village of the internet: we try god bless us, but we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Another terribly under appreciated/unknown guitarist is Rory Gallagher.

He's well known around here.

I'm surprised, yet also this gives weight to my point, that no one remembers Duane Allman.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
john petrucci
i think hes very ignored especially by other guitarists i know
hes technically brilliant and he can reach break neck speeds if he wants to
also the solo in under a glass moon is pure awesome, best guitar solo ever in my opinion
Quote by a6l6e6x1
john petrucci
also the solo in under a glass moon is pure awesome, best guitar solo ever in my opinion

Not on here he's not, but in real life, definitely.

Under a Glass Moon is not his best solo by any means, either.

Lines in the Sand is better.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
john petrucci

...?

It's mainly other guitarists/musicians that listen to Dream Theater...I think he's very respected in those circles. He's not mainstream, but a lot of people worship Dream Theater.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by a6l6e6x1
john petrucci

Um...

Everyone knows Petrucci.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by dgme92
I'm surprised, yet also this gives weight to my point, that no one remembers Duane Allman.

True, Duane Allman was freakin awesome.
John Lee Hooker, Joe Strummer
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher, Tony Iommi (everyone loves sabbath, but no one mentions Tony), Mick Ronson, Phil Manzanarek, Pete Townshend...

the list just goes on and on :P

All youngsters who start playing guitar are looking at Vai, Satriani, Dimebag, all those guys whom play very fast, but the true emotion of playing guitar was back in the '60s and '70s!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
I know most of my friends wouldn't know who Buddy guy, BB King, Robert Cray or Eric Johnson is.
And to the bloke who said Joe Strummer - he wasn't really much of a guitarist. He was awesome, but Mick Jones did all the leads and stuff on The Clash's work
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Last edited by SuperBlob at Apr 27, 2008,
John Butler

Bob Brozman. He is a truly fantastic guitarist, and he's been around for longer than most of us have been alive, yet few people know him.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Oh, another one: Bob Quine. ****ing brilliant, but no-one knows who he is
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by SuperBlob
Maybe because it's Tommy?

Que? His full name is Anthony. Tony it be.
Quote by Liberation
Um...

Everyone knows Petrucci.

um a lot of people i know dont
and those that do dont appreciate him
so ha
alex wins
GO ME

^childish i know^
Quote by Aplanken
All youngsters who start playing guitar are looking at Vai, Satriani, Dimebag, all those guys whom play very fast, but the true emotion of playing guitar was back in the '60s and '70s!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No, no, no.

That's complete rubbish about emotion. I'm not alone when I say that the word emotion gets batted around too often and too ignorantly on these forums, especially when compared to fast guitarists. My favourite guitarist is Jo Satriani. Watch him on stage and try and tell me there's no emotion in his playing. Guitarists should be allowed to appreciate who they want to appreciate, regardless of what other people think and who they think 'must be' recognised.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by imgooley
Charlie Christian and Wes Montgomery.

Yes, this. As well as Django Reinhardt.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by SuperBlob
Maybe because it's Tommy?

And to the bloke who said Joe Strummer - he wasn't really much of a guitarist. He was awesome, but Mick Jones did all the leads and stuff on The Clash's work

Frank Anthony "Tony" Iommi.

Now don't you look stupid?

Yes. Yes you do.
Quote by rockownsyou
Frank Anthony "Tony" Iommi.

Now don't you look stupid?

Yes. Yes you do.

What are you on about?
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Rory Gallagher! as already mentioned

and Chet Atkins

the world needs much much more of those 2
Elliot Randall from Steely Dan, perfect example of his work is the solos in reeling in the years. Gary Rossington, Mark Knopfler and Gary Moore.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Robben Ford

Though he's definitely well respected in the world of jazz and blues (at least the real life circles) ...
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by SuperBlob
Johnny Thunders, Cheetah Chrome, Sylvain Sylvain, Deniz Tek, Mick Jones, Cpt. Sensible any punk guitarist really

they a flippin metal!
Quote by SuperBlob
Bollocks

*is not a metalhead AT ALL*

Lolololol

I have a John Lee Hooker avatar, does that scream metalhead to you? (although I do enjoy teh br00tal metalz)

'Sall right though. Tony Iommi wrote THE best metal riffs.

Quote by Don't Panic Ok?

Thank you for mentioning the 2 fingered wonder. He could shred with just 2 fingers!! Gypsy Jazz for the win.

And as far as Wes goes, I think he gets overshadowed a little by Joe Pass, as far as notoriety.

Add Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry to the list.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?

Definitely. Django was an awesome player - it astound me he was missing half his finger.

Also, he has an awesome name.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Frank Zappa, Jerry Garcia, Keith Richards, John Petrucci, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, George Harrison (everyone knows the beatles, but no one really remembers Harrison individually).

Quote by EdawMail
they a flippin metal!

lololololol ur so orginalz
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Page 1 of 4