Page 1 of 2
Two things came to me:

1.) My love for V shape was reinforced. Dating back to playing some mid-end BC Rich Kerry King signature, to other models, I have come to the conclusion that I must get a V.

2.) I don't really like the Floyd Rose as much as I thought I would. Sure the divebombs would be awesome, but I switch tunings a lot, and well, I'm lazy.

So, I'm probably gonna buy a new guitar in June.

I need suggestions.

I'm thinking an RR5, or a Schecter Hellraiser V.

Any others I should take into consideration?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
The Alexi 600 is very nice for it's price. If you're willing to spend about 1100-1200 on the RR5, don't. It isn't as good as the 600 imo. Ofcourse, you could always look into a Gibson V.
Quote by \Powerslave/
The Alexi 600 is very nice for it's price. If you're willing to spend about 1100-1200 on the RR5, don't. It isn't as good as the 600 imo. Ofcourse, you could always look into a Gibson V.

Well, I'm looking for a hardtail. I thought the RR5 was amazing when I played it?

It's a preference thing I suppose.

I'm not really willing to shell out two grand for a Gibby, and the lower end models really aren't my thing.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Woops, forgot you didn't want a FR. Well in that case, RR5 is probably your best bet for it's price. Such a shame Gibsons are overpriced to such an extent.
Quote by \Powerslave/
Woops, forgot you didn't want a FR. Well in that case, RR5 is probably your best bet for it's price. Such a shame Gibsons are overpriced to such an extent.

Yeah, I know. If they were lowered to 1500-1800 I might consider buying one.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

The Gison Faded Vs are actually really nice. They play well and sound great imo. Better than LP Standards anyway :P

EDIT: Plus they're pretty cheap.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Better than LP Standards anyway :P

Heathen!!

I want something geared towards metal a bit more. And the Jackson has some SDs, so I'm leaning towards it. I just wanna know if there are any others besides Gibsons?
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

You can find Gibson V's in mint condition second hand for less than 1000$.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
RR5 all the way imo. Better Quality than every other V in that price range.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
The RR5 is definitely gonna be a great choice. If you can afford it, go for it.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Arnt the gibson v's only around 1200?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Colgate Total
Heathen!!

I want something geared towards metal a bit more. And the Jackson has some SDs, so I'm leaning towards it. I just wanna know if there are any others besides Gibsons?

I thought the Flying V was perfect for metal lol. I plugged it in, chugged out Metallica's 'Battery', and absolutely loved it. It does metal so well and the PHs are so sweet.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
i havent played the others but i love my RR5, its amazing to play with live and it looks cool and the pickups are really good
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
You might also consider some Dave Mustaine Sigs. The Dean VMNT1 is excellent, so is his ESP DV8 and the DV8-R.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by ldnovelo

Thw razoe back is nothing like the alexi sig!
with that said take a look at this, its a comparison of some v's in that price range.
just click here
Edit: you may also want to check out the new schector(sp?) flying v's with the coil spilt emg i thin it's like 600-700.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Last edited by edge11 at Apr 27, 2008,
Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!Jackson RR24!
High as tits
I agree with Dave's Dean VMNT as an alternative to the RR5.

I love Jackson, and I usually don't like Dean, but those are great V's from what I've played. There will be a very different sound from one another though, so try both and see which you like more.

Where the RR5 is a maple neck and alder body with a rosewood fingerboard, with the VMNT you'll be getting a mahogany neck and body, and ebony fingerboard. With the RR5 you'll be getting Duncan TB4 passives, and with the VMNT, Duncan LiveWire actives. RR5 also only has 22 frets, where the VMNT has 24.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNT1-Signature-Electric-Guitar-514043-i1321369.gc

And it'll be cheaper than the RR5.

If you care about looks, the "Angel of Deth" will rise to the the price of the RR5, but get this paintjob.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-VMNT-Angel-of-Deth-Electric-Guitar-516229-i1392329.gc
Last edited by Delanoir at Apr 27, 2008,
i'd say look into an Epiphone V.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
id go with the RR5 if I were you.

FAR superior to the schecter V's (and thats if I ignore how ugly those things are).

All things considered man..i really would go with the rr5 if u are looking for a hard tail.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by Delanoir
I agree with Dave's Dean VMNT as an alternative to the RR5.

I love Jackson, and I usually don't like Dean, but those are great V's from what I've played. There will be a very different sound from one another though, so try both and see which you like more.

Where the RR5 is a maple neck and alder body with a rosewood fingerboard, with the VMNT you'll be getting a mahogany neck and body, and ebony fingerboard. With the RR5 you'll be getting Duncan TB4 passives, and with the VMNT, Duncan LiveWire actives. RR5 also only has 22 frets, where the VMNT has 24.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNT1-Signature-Electric-Guitar-514043-i1321369.gc

And it'll be cheaper than the RR5.

If you care about looks, the "Angel of Deth" will rise to the the price of the RR5, but get this paintjob.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-VMNT-Angel-of-Deth-Electric-Guitar-516229-i1392329.gc

The RR5 is built in Japan, while the Dean is made in China or soemthing.

Thr RR5 is a better guitar
Quote by FRDesign

Thr RR5 is a better guitar

Oh, well that completely settles it then

Next time, actually back up your statements with research, like I clearly did.

It's also largely personal taste.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
i'd say look into an Epiphone V.
I have a vested interest in this topic as well. I've got a serious hard-on for Vs and Explorers, and as soon as my PRS is gone, I might have to grab one.

How's the Epiphone V? It's string-through, so I assume it has nice sustain?

And how's the Schecter V?
Last edited by Flying Couch at Apr 28, 2008,
Schecter Hellraiser V1

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access / 25.5”
BODY: Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc Mahogany / Rosewood
FRETS: 24 X-Jumbo
INLAYS: 'Gothic Cross'
PICKUPS: EMG Active 81TW/89
ELECTRONICS: Vol(tap)/Vol(tap)/Tone/3-way switch
BRIDGE: TonePros TOM w/Thru-Body
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover
HARDWARE: Black Chrome
COLOR: Black Cherry (BCH)

US RETAIL PRICE: $999

yummi yummi!!!!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Last edited by TheBloodstained at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Flying Couch
^Yummy, indeed.

Schecters website isn't working for me now, any other finishes?

There's a really sweet black finish......

here seen with FloydRose:

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
Not really into Floyds, but no white finish? Ah well, I could refinish it myself.

With some work (new fretboard, pickups and finish) that could well be the sexiest V ever.
well, Dean have made some fine V's also..... maybe you should check 'em out

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
Quote by FRDesign

Korea.
The RR5 is an excellent choice, although i would find the 22 frets limiting. LTD V-500? Not that expensive, and a great V. Or maybe you could try looking for a LTD DV8-R if you can find one.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
RR5 = ultimate V without floyd :p
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
the RR5 is the better choice
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by fatboythin
The RR5 is an excellent choice, although i would find the 22 frets limiting. LTD V-500? Not that expensive, and a great V. Or maybe you could try looking for a LTD DV8-R if you can find one.

I second the v500 its solid for the price.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33