Page 1 of 2
think so, died with the Police didn't it?

i dunno really
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
The whole thing about Nirvana killing arena rock kinda makes sense to me. Even though I really don't like Nirvana, or much arena rock for that matter.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Stadium rock is finished, Arena rock is alive though, so many bands have played at the O2 and its the best arena i've been too.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
yeah its been dead for like 15 years...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Erm, have you heard of a little band called Muse? They're about as Stadium as you can get.

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Tomo J O
Stadium rock is finished, Arena rock is alive though, so many bands have played at the O2 and its the best arena i've been too.

Muse keep Stadium Rock alive. Just. Red Hot Chili Peppers slowly moves towards the 'off' switch on its life support machine.

Music is better kept out of stadiums though. Imo.
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
Erm, have you heard of a little band called Muse? They're about as Stadium as you can get.

We think alike. But Albert Hall was better than Wembley Stadium, so...
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s

That's what I was gonna say

Anyone who was at Wembley will tell you that stadium rock is not totally dead yet
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s

+100,000,000
I hope so. If by stadium/arena rock you mean the glam/power metal of the 80s. Which was killed off by the grunge explosion and following that the popularisation of mainstream-styled punk, commonly known as pop-punk, which still dominates the airwaves, but with a slightly different fashion sense, commonly termed emo.

If not, then plenty of bands perform in arenas and stadiums still, so not really.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Dragonforce would be stadium if they didn't suck. Calling them power metal is just lying to yourself.
Quote by stratocasta
We think alike. But Albert Hall was better than Wembley Stadium, so...

That's not even possible, unless you were seated at Wembley or right at the back or something...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
i must be confused... i thought stadium/arena rock were bands like bon jovi and poison and stuff
Quote by C.C. Deville
i must be confused... i thought stadium/arena rock were bands like bon jovi and poison and stuff

This is what it is, according to Wikipedia:

Arena rock takes its sound from hard rock, heavy metal, and progressive rock. Songs are often linked by concept albums, a trait inherited from progressive rock. Other features include "slick productions", an emphasis on the verses, and an "unnatural emphasis on big, anthemic hooks and choruses".
Quote by C.C. Deville

I think Stadium rock is classed as rock music with big, anthemic sing-a-long choruses. Bands like Muse are good stadium rock. Bands like Bon Jovi and Poison should be chucked into a big pit and left to be forgotten by the rest of humanity. Plus, most arenas have pretty piss-poor acoustics.

...don't flame me? Please?

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Random88

Anyone who was at Wembley will tell you that stadium rock is not totally dead yet

Plus. One.
MUSE
WEMBELY
JULY 2007

Need i say more?
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s

I wasn't there (couldn't afford tickets) but bloody hell, i wish i had after watching H.A.A.R.P.
Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse Muse

Discussion over.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I can't stand seeing bands in stadiums, give me a basement with 75 people over a stadium any day. In stadiums you have assigned seats and you can't dance or talk with the band or anything. If you're seeing a basement show you feel completely connected with the band and the other people around you, you can dance and sing, and then you can hang out with the band after they're done playing. Arenas feel like detached and pretty much just not a great experience. That's my opinion anyway, but I'm sure anyone who's been in to an underground basement or small show can agree.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
I think Stadium rock is classed as rock music with big, anthemic sing-a-long choruses. Bands like Muse are good stadium rock. Bands like Bon Jovi and Poison should be chucked into a big pit and left to be forgotten by the rest of humanity. Plus, most arenas have pretty piss-poor acoustics.

sounds exactly like those types of bands i listed...
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s

I'll be gentle.

Stadium rock as it was defined in the 70's and 80's is in effect completely dead. It's not so much the venue the band is playing (be it stadium, arena etc.) but the style of playing. And as good as bands like Muse are, they still haven't captured the power of artists like Bon Jovi and Poison, whos contribution to music you clearly don't appreciate all that much, while I do. I must ask why you think that they should be forgotten by the rest of humanity? Do you know what musical talent is?

You see that didn't hurt that bad did it?

Edit: And also, not all arenas have ****ty acoustics. The new one that they built here is pretty damn amazing (might also be because its pretty small but w/e)
Last edited by hawk5211 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by hawk5211
I'll be gentle.

Stadium rock as it was defined in the 70's and 80's is in effect completely dead. It's not so much the venue the band is playing (be it stadium, arena etc.) but the style of playing. And as good as bands like Muse are, they still haven't captured the power of artists like Bon Jovi and Poison, whos contribution to music you clearly don't appreciate all that much, while I do. I must ask why you think that they should be forgotten by the rest of humanity? Do you know what musical talent is?

Except that they're cheesy, they have meaningless, populist lyrics, generic, mainstream instrumentation, and they're generally outdated, self-indulgent morons. I won't deny that they've written some catchy songs, but this doesn't make them worthy of legendary status. Plus I doubt they've ever put on a show that could rival Muse's Wembley one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Except that they're cheesy, they have meaningless, populist lyrics, generic, mainstream instrumentation, and they're generally outdated, self-indulgent morons.

Shout! Shout! Shout! Shout at the devaaaaaw!
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by break-me-in
Except that they're cheesy, they have meaningless, populist lyrics, generic, mainstream instrumentation, and they're generally outdated, self-indulgent morons. I won't deny that they've written some catchy songs, but this doesn't make them worthy of legendary status. Plus I doubt they've ever put on a show that could rival Muse's Wembley one.

I have to admit I have never seen muse live, or heard much of their music except for a few songs.

Suffice it to say that your description there is exactly what I would use to describe ALL new mainstream pop/punk/rock/whatever the hell they call it now. I do agree that they arent legendary of sorts, but hey thats what we have acdc, van halen, black sabbath, pink floyd, the who, etc. for. They certainly had a much larger impact on popular music then many new bands will have (hey where do you think the new genre got all their ideas from)

Plus they can actually play guitar! (sorry, but I really love the way ritchie plays), and i don't find the guitar parts in any new songs all that entertaining.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I can't stand seeing bands in stadiums, give me a basement with 75 people over a stadium any day. In stadiums you have assigned seats and you can't dance or talk with the band or anything. If you're seeing a basement show you feel completely connected with the band and the other people around you, you can dance and sing, and then you can hang out with the band after they're done playing. Arenas feel like detached and pretty much just not a great experience. That's my opinion anyway, but I'm sure anyone who's been in to an underground basement or small show can agree.

Yes but a Muse show with a 75 person limit would sell out in seconds

Quote by hawk5211
They certainly had a much larger impact on popular music then many new bands will have (hey where do you think the new genre got all their ideas from)

1. You can't see the future
2. All these older bands got their genre ideas from other artists as well
3. Many old bands had no impact on music at all...you just don't hear about them because it was 30 odd ****ing years ago
Last edited by GiantRaven at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by hawk5211
I have to admit I have never seen muse live, or heard much of their music except for a few songs.

Suffice it to say that your description there is exactly what I would use to describe ALL new mainstream pop/punk/rock/whatever the hell they call it now. I do agree that they arent legendary of sorts, but hey thats what we have acdc, van halen, black sabbath, pink floyd, the who, etc. for. They certainly had a much larger impact on popular music then many new bands will have (hey where do you think the new genre got all their ideas from)

Plus they can actually play guitar! (sorry, but I really love the way ritchie plays), and i don't find the guitar parts in any new songs all that entertaining.

My description does fit a lot of mainstream pop-punk, but not all of it. Besides that, mainstream rock music today is in a better state than in the 80s. It's more varied and has more integrity.

Also, maybe you should try listening to Muse before making claims about them, or watch a video from their Wembley performance, which I can safely say is the best gig I've ever attended. I'm guessing you'll enjoy the guitar parts.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by GiantRaven
Yes but a Muse show with a 75 person limit would sell out in seconds

Yeah, I know that, that's why it sucks that some bands get so huge. I mean I just don't get the same feeling out of stadium than a small venue. Ok, I'm done bashing stadiums now.
Quote by break-me-in
Also, maybe you should try listening to Muse before making claims about them, or watch a video from their Wembley performance, which I can safely say is the best gig I've ever attended. I'm guessing you'll enjoy the guitar parts.

which is exactly why i said that I have not a whole lot of knowledge of muse specifically.

All i know is that the new mainstream all sounds the same to me. I have found the music of the 80's to be far more varied, even within the same genre. If you want to say that thee are more genres now then there were in the past, you would be correct. However, IMO, having more genres for people to classify themselves as just leads to more copy-cats.

All of these new genres and sub-genres just seem to be slightly different shades of the same music. Thrash, industrial, metal core, whatever...Its all just metal to me! And what has happened to the variety of the music scene as a whole? I see a very diminished blues scene, almost no mainstream jazz, and nothing but repetitive pop/punk and rap on the radio. I can't like that...
Quote by StreetLight3989

Well you don't have assigned seats if you get standing tickets...

I'd never get seated tickets to a stadium gig.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Well you don't have assigned seats if you get standing tickets...

I'd never get seated tickets to a stadium gig.

True, but the standing tickets cost more. The other thing is the price is completely ridiculous. In my opinion no show should cost over $10 really, but whatever. I'm sure a lot of people love stadiums and I don't.
The Golden Age of Stadium Rock is over, but like other types of music, chances are it will "carry on." Like there aren't any bands like these anymore...
Styx
Foreigner
Journey
REO Speedwagon
Boston
(and to an extent)
80s Bruce Springsteen
Triumph
KISS
Foghat

Just a few off the top of my head. While there isn't much to equate these bands to currently, they still sell out shows, so it really isn't dead.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Quote by StreetLight3989

i agree and there cheaper too
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
still around, just at a much smaller level
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by hawk5211
which is exactly why i said that I have not a whole lot of knowledge of muse specifically.

All i know is that the new mainstream all sounds the same to me. I have found the music of the 80's to be far more varied, even within the same genre. If you want to say that thee are more genres now then there were in the past, you would be correct. However, IMO, having more genres for people to classify themselves as just leads to more copy-cats.

Ok, I'll list 5 popular bands that are completely different:
Muse
Does it offend you, yeah?
My Chemical Romance
Queens of the stone age
Foals

There are plenty of mainstream bands that sound completely different. There's more difference between them than the difference between Poison and Bon Jovi as well.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Page 1 of 2