Would this work? Would it make the solid state amp sound better?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Would this work? Would it make the solid state amp sound better?

No.
A Tube power amp will make you sound better. MUCH better.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Whats the difference between a power amp and a preamp?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

A preamp shapes the tone, a power amp amplifies it to speaker levels
Could you put a poweramp on any amp or does it have to be just a speaker cabinet?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Simsimius
No.
A Tube power amp will make you sound better. MUCH better.

im no expert but wouldnt the preamp be the most important part of your tone?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
im no expert but wouldnt the preamp be the most important part of your tone?

Indeed, especially if it's a high gain preamp.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
There are many amps out there with this set up, called hybrid amps. Some say they are just a marketing gimmick. Will a tube preamp with SS amp sound better than pure SS, yes. Will it sound as good as an all tube amp, no.
Well, I am considering getting an old Kuston I Lead amp 35w that was made in 1978 could I get an tube amp head for this or wouldn't that work?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Although Marshall, Vox etc would like you to believe otherwise, a tube preamp section will not make your tone better. It will however make it different, and in some cases that might therefore be better. It won't add any of the dynamics and life people associate with tubes though.
If your asking if a tube preamp can be run into the effects send of a SS power amp, yes. I have an old deanmarkley SS amp with a screwed up preamp. I have a chorus pedal in the effects loop on my main amp with 2 sends. 1 send goes back into the return on my main amp the other goes to a stomp box then to the effects return on the other amp. So I can have volume control of the SS amp.
Alone the SS amp sounds like a SS amp with a stomp box in front of it but mixed with my tube amp sounds pretty decent.
Quote by Tackleberry
Will a tube preamp with SS amp sound better than pure SS, yes.

That's a matter of opinion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Unless you play loud enough to clip the amplifier, a tube pre-amp feeding a solid state amp should sound very similar to a tube pre-amp feeding a tube amp. For all of the love that tube amps get, the fact is that when they're not clipping, the waveform coming out is essentially just a bigger version of the waveform going in. The major differences between solid state and tube occur once you start to clip, which for the amplification stage means exceeding the rated wattage, which in most cases, is at a very, very loud volume. At anything below that, most of your tone comes from signal modification that's done prior to amplification... i.e. in the preamp.
The reason most hybrids sound turd, is because they use low voltage fed to the tubes and get a nasty tone.

A proper tube preamp like one of the ENGLs - an E530 for example, has properly high tube voltage and as such has a great effect on tone. It'd sound good, but if you push the output level up too high you will clip the SS sections of the amp.

I'd guess that the tube section running into a clean SS amp though, would sound really rather good, although not as warm as a real tube amp but definitely warmer and louder.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Mr Carrots hit the nail right on the head here. The myth that all hybrid setups are bad come stright from the fact that the cheapo hybrid stuff usually has a single tube doing little more than glowing.

A proper tube preamp fed into a solid state poweramp will sound great for low to medium volumes where the amp section not being pushed into distorsion. The thing with tube amps and distorsion is that its a rather organic thing first increasing the harmonic content(increased perceived volume) then breaking up into distorsion. Solid state however does not taper from clean to rich harmonics to breakup instead the just distort audibly very quickly in a rather harsh way.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Well iv'e been thinking this idea also, and more so the possibility of running my Randall RH200's preamp out into a tube poweramp. But, does anyone know if that would work, like you would have to have the Randall plugged into a cab still to take the load with the amp being on to run the preamp out, and would it make any sound. Because I love the sound of the Randall and can only imagine how good it would sound ran into a full tube poweramp.
Does the Randall have a proper preamp out or is it just an effects send?

If its a preamp out then yes you can run that into a tube power amp. You will need to keep the cab plugged into the head though or the amp will run with no load causing a horrible amell and blue smoke accompanied by a loud crack.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Would something such as the EH English Muff'n work as a tube preamp for a small solid state amp?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by halikus
Does the Randall have a proper preamp out or is it just an effects send?

If its a preamp out then yes you can run that into a tube power amp. You will need to keep the cab plugged into the head though or the amp will run with no load causing a horrible amell and blue smoke accompanied by a loud crack.

Nah, it just has an effects loop, but i thought the loop out is the preamp out and the loop in is the input srtaight to the poweramp, so wouldn't it still work the same as a preamp out?
Sadly the loop out will bypass the preamp signal and pass your dry signal to the whatever is in your loop.

Sorry to say but this wont work as a preamp out.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by DeadMansCurve
Well that sucks. I might save up for the Engl E530 and a good tube poweramp.
An Engl E530 does sound good through almost any tube power amp. I own an Engl E530, and it sounds good even through my POS Crate SS practice amp. At first, I was in love with the Engl's infinite gain . . .

BUT, any of my other "real" amps have way more tone than the Engl preamp. I'm soon having my 6505 modded by FJAmods, but, even this "non-boutique" amp utterly pwns the E530 for tone. My two recent Ebay buys, a Mesa/Boogie Single-Rectifier Solo 50, and a Mesa/Boogie DC-3, TOTALLY pwns the sh*t out of my Engl.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

^Oh, well then I guess i should save up for the amp I really want, an Engl Powerball . But even still, if say i did buy the E530 and put it through the effects return in my Randall RH200 would that sound a load better and a bit warmer or about the same as the Randalls Distortion? And would it work into the effects return or just go straight into the main input?