Hi there, had my acoustic 3 days or so. So far I learned some chords (G/D/C maj) and I know Song 2 (by Blur) but I don't think it works on the acoustic. The notes seem to ring too long.

I always assumed you could play acoustics fast, I guess you cannot. No big deal tho, I love this kinda music.

So its the Verve / Radiohead / Coldplay / The Beatles / Blur / Muse / Travis im intrested in learning. Im after something nice and easy to introduce me to the basics. Most 'novice' rating tabs here are still too hard for me.

Any ideas on where to start, maybe power chords? (tho they seem to be something best left to bass/electric)

Cheers.
Last edited by Bigshoutout at Apr 27, 2008,
The notes are ringing too long because you have yet to learn how to control your sustain. Learn how to use your fingers to mute notes that you don't want to ring out, it's a tricky but essential acoustic (and electric) technique.

As far as speed, get on youtube and check out some Black Label Society acoustic stuff, or some bluegrass acoustic. The acoustic can be played pleanty fast, it's just a matter of getting your fingers used to the heavier strings and lack of amplification.

I'd suggest starting out on basic open chords (G, D, C, Am, E). One you start getting the feel for those, you'll have a ton of songs to choose from.

-Edit- Try not to think in terms of "what acoustic can do" vs. "what electric can do". You can do just about anything on acoustic that you can on electric, you just have to do it differently.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Apr 27, 2008,
definnatly start with power chords. learn iron man it is proboblly the easiest song and you will be able to play it, except the solo witch is pretty hard actually. this song has the simplest finger movements and picking. then move on to blink 182 ( i know they suck) they are a great band to get familiar with strumming, power chords and tempo. i suggest dammit by blink
keep it brutal!!!
Try these:

Map of Your Head - Muse

New Amsterdam - Travis

Sing - Travis

Side - Travis

Hey Jude - The Beatles

Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead

All the other Radiohead songs I can think of have barre chords, and you probably can't play those yet.
orange sky - alexi murdoch
songbird - oasis
radio head - high and dry

these ares imple songs to pick up when your first starting, iv only being playing for a month and these were the first that i learnt
Quote by Smgawt
orange sky - alexi murdoch
songbird - oasis
radio head - high and dry

these ares imple songs to pick up when your first starting, iv only being playing for a month and these were the first that i learnt

Since you mentioned Oasis, there's a ton of easy songs they have that you can play: Wonderwall, Live Forever, Songbird, Don't Look Back in Anger, Little By Little, and the list goes on.
Wonderwall was the 1st song i learnt on my accoustic, still sounds great to this day
"When was the last time god played to 250,000 fans."(Noel Gallagher, Knebworth, 96)

Quote by Våd Hamster
Congratulations on your 2nd hand cancer

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/oasisrocks/

If you love Oasis, come on in and join...
Johnny Cash has some good easy songs (Ring of Fire, Walk the Line), The Seeker by The Who has easy chords but some faster changes to get you more familiar with that. Hysteria by Muse can be played with chords and interesting strumming patterns, it sounds pretty good actually. Try these tabs, and check out what this guy did with it.

Quote by Garou1911
Try not to think in terms of "what acoustic can do" vs. "what electric can do". You can do just about anything on acoustic that you can on electric, you just have to do it differently.

Agreed! Don't be afraid to vary the original to adapt it to your instrument's needs. Although they give very different sounds, they play the same way so it's not that difficult to cross-reference. For example look at this version of Smells Like Teen Spirit, or listen to the version of Can't Stop on my profile. Granted that's more than what you're asking for, but I just wanted to show you that you can put electric songs on acoustic and make them sound good.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
Quote by blu_flame34
Johnny Cash has some good easy songs (Ring of Fire, Walk the Line), The Seeker by The Who has easy chords but some faster changes to get you more familiar with that. Hysteria by Muse can be played with chords and interesting strumming patterns, it sounds pretty good actually. Try these tabs, and check out what this guy did with it.

I didn't see that coming lol! Sounds pretty sweet on an acoustic actually!
READ MY "contraversial tips for rookies" thread under musician talk. learn all your cowboy chords first before you jump to barre. this way you remember what they sound like. then jump to barre chords. you can play fast too, use the mute/slap technique, Jack Johnson does this very well, im not sure if you know him, but acoustically, he's got some good stuff. dave mathews, the funky chords... you might wanna wait on that stuff. but, when i first started, my buddy said "You wanna learn how to play, listen to John Mayer, Dave Mathews" and i did.
Cheers for the replies guys, I haven't had the time to check these out yet, but please keep em coming