Has anyone tried it? I am thinking of installing 2 on a les paul body.
Les pauls are routed for humbuckers havin single coils in there would make it look bad but if ur ok with it then go ahead (PS P-90s are a good option if you want it to look good)
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
yeah, i havent personally, but i know both gibson and epiphone make les pauls that have P-90s so it must sound decent. it really depends on what sound you want, it will just be like switching pick ups on any other guitar.

EDIT: couldnt he also just coil tap (or split, i always get those confused) a humbucker pickup to get the same sound?
There's no real reason why it shouldn't work, but if you already have a Les Paul, I don't see why you would wanna take away part of what makes people buy Les Pauls in the first place. If it's a matter of building a guitar from a bottom, then I suppose there's nothing wrong, as the body is a matter of preference more than anything.

It won't sound the same, that's for sure.
If you really wan't it, install a p94.
It's a p90 single coil in a humbucker housing.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/P%2D94/

Don't know if any other manufacturers does anything similar.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Last edited by Grönis at Apr 27, 2008,
The problem is that split humbuckers tend to sound anywhere from sorta like to not aat all like single coils.

P90s are a good call in a LP. It's a proven sound.
p-94 is perfect-sounds exactly like a normal p-90
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I wanted to do this because I saw a really nice les paul body with a bolt on neck. It has not been pre-drilled so there are only two holes for the humbuckers. What I intend to do is to cut a loaded strat pickguard to fit the les paul body and take out the middle pickup. Not sure if it fits but I am going to give it a try. If it works it will look pretty cool I think.
Problem solved. Expensive though! I reckon you could easily modify a Humbucker cover to fit a strat pickup, with a bit of work. Your pickguard idea is pretty achieveable, though it might be better to simply make a brand new one out of plastic or wood.
Quote by Jared88
I wanted to do this because I saw a really nice les paul body with a bolt on neck. It has not been pre-drilled so there are only two holes for the humbuckers. What I intend to do is to cut a loaded strat pickguard to fit the les paul body and take out the middle pickup. Not sure if it fits but I am going to give it a try. If it works it will look pretty cool I think.

Won't work...
LP's have a curved top.
So is it the look or the sound you're looking for? If it's the look then get stacked singles. If it's the sound then get P-94s.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I'd personally go with Lindy Fralin P-92s or Twangmasters : http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp

Although if you're on a budget, Guitar Fetish has a few single-coil pickups that'll fit a humbucker rout: http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html

Other options for a single-coil look :

- Seymour Duncan Phat Cats (as mentioned above)
- Bill Lawrence L-609 or L-610

If you're after the single-coil sound more than the look, there are a few more options :

- Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro or Jazz model humbuckers
- DiMarzio has a full-size humbucker with single coil like sound, but can't remember the name
- Bill Lawrence L-600

I've seen humbucker-sized mounting rings routed for a slanted Strat-style single coil pickup, but these usually look terrible...

Quote by Jared88
What I intend to do is to cut a loaded strat pickguard to fit the les paul body and take out the middle pickup.

What about the middle pickup hole in the pickguard? This will probably end up looking real bad...