In the last few months, when I've been by myself and listening to music, I would start whistling along to the melody of the tune. In the last few months, my ears have improved immeasurably. I've been able to identify intervals that I hear in the jingles on TV commercials, identify arpeggios in songs, and figure out tunes by ear much quicker than I've ever been able to in the past. It really is true that if you can sing a melody, you can probably play it, too. If you really want to improve as a musician, I would highly recommend singing as often as possible, or if you can't stand your singing voice like me, whistle or hum whenever you won't be a nuisance to anyone.
do u want a medal or somethin
GEAR:
Black Epiphone G-310 SG
White Ibanez RG120
Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects Pedal
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
Actually, thinking about it, yh ur right, ive really improved since i started whistling tunes.
Quote by statixguitar53

You are the type of person that makes real discourse on the internet impossible. You add nothing at all to the discussion and are just a waste of bandwidth. I'm trying to share my experience with people who are receptive to it and help others improve as musicians, which is the whole point of this forum, and you're just being a shithead.
Quote by statixguitar53

You're a dumbass. He's sharing something that has helped his growth a musician so that maybe it will help others, which is what these forums are all about. He's not looking for a medal, just to share something that's worked for him. Go away.
Also, if there was anybody who was going to be employed to hand out medals around here, i am fairly certain they would need more intelligence than Statixguitar53 has, or has not in his case. Further also, titopuente would already have some medals.
that's wierd, i've found the opposite to be true, after i'd been playing guitar for about a year l realised i could sing much better since i could actually hear myself instead of thinking i could hear myself, don't be fooled though, my singing only sucks less hard now.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
Quote by statixguitar53

Hahahaha you are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by titopuente
In the last few months, when I've been by myself and listening to music, I would start whistling along to the melody of the tune. In the last few months, my ears have improved immeasurably. I've been able to identify intervals that I hear in the jingles on TV commercials, identify arpeggios in songs, and figure out tunes by ear much quicker than I've ever been able to in the past. It really is true that if you can sing a melody, you can probably play it, too. If you really want to improve as a musician, I would highly recommend singing as often as possible, or if you can't stand your singing voice like me, whistle or hum whenever you won't be a nuisance to anyone.

its a good idea. Just like singing, whistling will help you develop your ear. Its great when people can share helpful ideas like this. thanks for doing it.... and don't listen to the jerkoffs who didnt appreciate it.
I can't whistle

Now I'll never be an amazing musician
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
I can't whistle

I suppose some of us are just born with natural talent.
By arpeggios do you mean you can hear the actual root note? Or just the type of arpeggio? Major/Minor,ect. I rarely whistle because I like to really get into my music and concentrate on it lol , but I didn't know it could help.

EDIT: Humming is awsome. I agree that DOES help. I almost always hum the bass notes of the song. I started doing it on Bohemian Rhapsody during the first part where you can pretty much predict it and it helped me identify the intervals. Now when I hear that song, I'm like "I see what he did there".
Quote by TDKshorty
I can't whistle

I can't whistle either
nice to know im not alone though...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I agree that singing (or whistling) stuff that you'd like to play is very beneficial.

Those who have not contributed to the discussion have been warned.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I am unable to whistle (which is unfortunate because there are some nice tunes that have whistling in them that I'd like to play and sing/whistle along to). However, I can sing (quite poorly, but I am capable of it) and it has the same effect.

Singing and whistling are both great ways to help train your ear. Some of the benefits include being able to tune by ear, recognizing intervals and arpeggios and playing by ear.

I would highly recommend people to try this. You won't notice a difference for a few months, but if you keep it up your ear will improve vastly.
I noticed this as well. Lately, I've been singing along with every song I listen to (by myself) and even if I don't know the words, humming along helps tremendously.
Quote by ouchies
No, he is an idiot

I'm not a betting man, but I'm pretty sure that was Grouch's attempt at sarcasm. You can tell by the fact that he used 4 ha's and an abundance of exclamation points; only idiots and people trying to get laid use ha's and actually mean it.

But back on topic, I'm glad that my advice could help some people out. I think it's fun to try to whistle and actually put feeling into it. One of my favorite songs is Pink Floyd's 'Time,' and during the solo, I like to increase the intensity with which I whistle with the solo. And for the people that can't whistle, get a kazoo; it's a worthy investment.
yeah i don't wistle just at work when i am working lol

but lately i have been singing while playing and i think it is helping me with my timing alot better knowing when to change and all that jazz

i think i will try the wistling out too thanks for the suggestion
song stuck in my head today