I have been looking up modes for the past couple of days and been trying to understand them but I have learned nothing. I watched you tube videos on it, looked at some lessons on this site and am still lost. Is there something I should learn first before looking at them
What is confusing about them to ya? would be best to start there!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Kash1333
I have been looking up modes for the past couple of days and been trying to understand them but I have learned nothing. I watched you tube videos on it, looked at some lessons on this site and am still lost. Is there something I should learn first before looking at them

The major scale and diatonic theory in general.

Honestly, modes aren't all that important or useful in modern music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can't really learn much of anything about modes from a video - it's something you simply have to study.

However, there's a lot of other stuff to learn theorywise that's easier and also more relevant. Learn the notes on the fretboard then start with the major scale. Read "The Crusade" articles in the columns section too, they'll help put things into context.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

modes are like chunks of a scale based on a chord, were you take the relevent notes from a scale, similar to them in a chord, and there you have a mode.

correct me if i am terribly wrong.
"
Quote by steven seagull
You can't really learn much of anything about modes from a video - it's something you simply have to study.

However, there's a lot of other stuff to learn theorywise that's easier and also more relevant. Learn the notes on the fretboard then start with the major scale. Read "The Crusade" articles in the columns section too, they'll help put things into context.

I will take a look at all the crusade columns, but one more question I have is when you say learn the major scale, should I learn every major scale in every position
Quote by Kash1333
I will take a look at all the crusade columns, but one more question I have is when you say learn the major scale, should I learn every major scale in every position

that could take a long time, all you need to do is understand how scales work, not memorise every single scale essentially
"
Quote by rougegratton
that could take a long time, all you need to do is understand how scales work, not memorise every single scale essentially

Is there a topic I could understand on UG that could explain to me how they work, because I always end up running into something that gets me more confused.

Or is it in The Crusade column
Quote by Kash1333
Is there a topic I could understand on UG that could explain to me how they work, because I always end up running into something that gets me more confused.

Or is it in The Crusade column

The Crusade will help...read the first couple of articles first...1 through 4 should do you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc