Page 1 of 2
Right...
I've been revising my maths all today and I came to a realisation that I have studied really hard for the upcoming exams (less than a month to go! AS Levels, btw...) and I can't remember the things that I learnt so much in depth
And it's really frustrating me now, I'm losing so much of my confidence right now

So, my question is, how do I get it cemented, as such, into my head?
How do I ensure it's there and doesn't just fall out when I learn something else?
I'm doing four hard courses and I bloody need the advice
So please, for all you clever ones out there...tell me how you do it Revision techniques, sleep hours, diet (?) etc..

Thanks
Im doing AS maths too, its a bitch

**** it, nothing will help you remember, just carry on, do it until you cant forget it
When you're reading something you have to learn, read it out loud. Then you activate more senses and you will remember it better!

Good luck!

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
As Maths is so easier than A-Level (obivously)

But C4 will the worst experence in your life, enjoy

But yeah

most of thequestions follow the same method, so find the method for each question as as long as your calucaltor dosen't implode on the day it'll be fine (Y)
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Try not to think of it as a whole crapload of information to remember. Try to think of it as knowing how to solve every problem that is given to you. Just reorganizing your brain can make a huge difference.

I don't know what your "maths" are but I took advanced placement calculus in high school. Just... practice. And study.

You'll get it. Just don't panic and figure it out, too many people are like "OMG I CANT DO THIS" and psyche themselves out. Don't be that person.
Last edited by pratt121 at Apr 27, 2008,
write it into a song and play it over and over and over while "singing it" out loud

that should help... plus then if you are having a hard time remembering in the lesson just sing the riff in your head and it should come back to you

just an idea
Bassist: BC Rich Warlock (Platinium)

I'm a lefty

Killing is so much easier than forgiving... So much more fun too
ye, i have As levels this time... i took politics thinking i could just rant about what i hate about Gordon Brown, turns out you actually have to put in some effort
Quote by messenjah
write it into a song and play it over and over and over while "singing it" out loud

that should help... plus then if you are having a hard time remembering in the lesson just sing the riff in your head and it should come back to you

just an idea

that is good advie, im gona have to remember that next time i need to learn summut
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
I hope this will help you...
eat fish more often becuase it helps your memory, and sleep 8 hours a day ( i saw that show on tv a week ago, and they said sleeping for that long will actually help you remember more and makes your brain work better )
so yeah good luck :d
For Maths, just do as many past papers as you can. Most questions are fairly similar every year, so if there are a few topics that you struggle with, go back and do a few exercises on them again, and perhaps ask your teacher if they have any extra questions on them.
with A-Level maths it is not so much a case of memorising things as it is being able to find the answer in your own way, using the formulae and techniques you learned in class.

i get the same thing: i think i cant do maths problems when i am NOT doing maths, but when i am confronted with questions then i know what approaches to take. and my teacher is really hot so that helps

just keep doing past papers and do a set amount of questions per day.

i assume you are doing C1 and C2; what is the other module?
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Theres two ways to get your head round maths:
1) just be repeatitive, do loads and loada of question of the same sort untill you have the method lodged in your head
2) "Understand" the maths, think about whats actually happening to the numbers and what your doing to get the answer, cos when u get to degree level, if u dont understand "why" it works then your ***ked.
when i have to remember characters for mandarin i just write them over and over again. if i don't have time to study i usually write it on my hand.
Quote by chillrock
with A-Level maths it is not so much a case of memorising things as it is being able to find the answer in your own way, using the formulae and techniques you learned in class.

i get the same thing: i think i cant do maths problems when i am NOT doing maths, but when i am confronted with questions then i know what approaches to take. and my teacher is really hot so that helps

just keep doing past papers and do a set amount of questions per day.

i assume you are doing C1 and C2; what is the other module?

S1
Luckily that's a little later in the exam period so I have time to go over that at a calm pace
On wednesday I have a C2 mock.
I know, a mock is nothing to really lose your head over, but I've been ****ing terrible in maths all year round, and I'm dropping it next year and I dont care how impossible that's gonna make Uni, I just cant do it

Quite a few replies have people who're doing maths...how do y'all feel about it?
take breaks when u feel ur getin tired
when u are readin somethink and u think ur understandin read another stuff and return
um its really hard to explain but that worked to me
What is AS level maths??? I am from America we do this progression

geometry - algebra 1-2 - algebra 3-4 - pre calc trig - calc - calc 1 - calc2 - calc 3...
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by abs_n91

Quite a few replies have people who're doing maths...how do y'all feel about it?

Pretty good, I'm a lot less worried about it than my other subjects. I got 97/100 in C1 in January and I'm pretty confident about M1. C2 will be a bit harder though...
I have to learn all this stuff for my religion test tomorrow...I argue out loud with myself about the topic xD
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
i suggest thinking of rhymes to help you rememebr things

bear in mind i was TERRIBLE at exams
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Ive got the same problem except with musical terms.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

By terms i mean e.g Concertino is a small group of soloists etc.

Thats an easy one but others are hard e.g. the details of a French Overture.
Practice maths like mad, it's the only way. I'm doing AS maths, and I've put in a lot of work, and am now pretty competent/confident. Not going to stop working until after the exams though.
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
so "maths" is actually grammatically correct for you guys? sounds funny to me...we just call it Math. i guess it makes sends, as it's short for mathematics...

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Just keep doing it.

Thats the only way to really get math stuck in your brain because its not like english where there's only 1 definition.

you just gotta keep practicing.

i always forget math too, but once i start doing it again, it comes back.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
keep doing questions for C1 and C2 and try to understand why.

S1 is absolutely no problem; it's a joke. my M1 teacher from last year (who got a Physics degree from Cambridge) answered one question for the S1, because all he needed for an overall A was 11% on S1.

something that helps me with maths, and logical thinking (which is essentially maths), is listening to Bach. i have his cello suites on my iPod and i am generally better at seeing logical solutions in maths problems. give it a go, listen to Bach or some other form of classical music and then do some maths problems.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
What subjects you doing?

Discuss subject with friends on the same subject. Works like a charm.

Displined meal routine with lots of fruit.

Displined sleep routine.

Practice, practice, practice...

Read over and over.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
so "maths" is actually grammatically correct for you guys? sounds funny to me...we just call it Math. i guess it makes sends, as it's short for mathematics...

MathematicS! It's plural.

It's like calling Physics, Physic. It's just wrong.
Oh George... Oh George.

That Texas education must've fucked you up when you very small.

Too true, Roger. Too True.
Don't get drunk or do any drugs, eat healthily, get lots of sleep.

Make charts of all your work that are colourful and eye catching. Put in time at the library if you can't study at home. Seems to be working for me...
Revise for 25 mins, have a small break.

Go over what you just did.

Lather, rinse and repeat.
Oh Jesus, S1 is in just over 2 weeks.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Smoke loads and loads of draw.

OR

There's two parts of your brain, yeah, left and right brain. Right is emotive and left is intellectual. Everyone has a special way of intaking information best, there's four seperate ways if I remember right - hearing, seeing, doing and reading.

People who learn best from hearing will benefit from maybe recording themselves saying notes and listening to them, for example.
People who learn best from seeing will benefit from videos and educational film type things, as well as from writing their notes up in different colours (eg. writing about one topic in green, so your brain remembers the colour and that unlocks the part of the brain which was being used while you were writing).
People who benefit from doing will learn best just by writing it out and reading it out over and over and over again, or whatever other form of repetitive action you can do to learn it.
People who learn best from reading, read.

I'd recommend trying all four of them and seeing which one works best for you - I learn best visually so whenever I need to remember stuff I do loads of doodles and brainstorms while I'm learning which supposedly helps retain information.

Hope that was helpful in some way, if there's anything I explained poorly then just ask :]
For AS level maths, the easiest way for you to remember how to do thigns is to just go through as many past papers as possible. As you do them, you will remember the technique for working out a specific type of question, and will be able to answer that type of question in the next paper you do. Just keep practising. I'm doing all of A leve lmaths this year (yay, further maths), and I've found it's the most effective technique for myself. Obviously different people have different techniques, but just practising questions is the most effective way for me to remember.

Oh yeah, and Core 4 is a bastard
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
C4 isn't THAT bad. It's awwright just so long as your algebra is perfect.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Don't get drunk or do any drugs, eat healthily, get lots of sleep.

Make charts of all your work that are colourful and eye catching. Put in time at the library if you can't study at home. Seems to be working for me...

Why should my work be colourful and eye catching? It wastes valuable learning time and doesn't help me at all
Page 1 of 2