Last Friday, I went to a guitar competition and brought along my Vox Valvetronix XL-30VT. Everything was great, I won and everything, but after the competition, we did a big jam... then I ran into my problem. A Randall stack. My amp couldn't cut through at all and if I turned it up loud enough to actually cut through, there was more feedback than music.

So, long story short, I'm starting to gig and everything so I need to step it up a notch. My budget is no higher than $500, and that's still pushing it. I play mostly (very heavy)metal and classic rock. So far, I've been looking at a Peavey Valveking 112 Combo and a Crate Flexwave FW120. I know the Valveking is probably more of what I need but I figured I should ask. So, what is your opinion?
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
ValveKing's are pretty good

but if you're playing really heavy stuff then the VK falls a tad bit short. It can almost do it, but not quite. I'm not sure what the concensus around here about how it would sound with a TubeScreamer in front of it.

I have one and it's great. But for super heavy stuff, it comes up short

never really tried the FlexWave though
Ok, thanks.

I was watching videos of the Valveking and it seemed to do pretty good with heavy stuff, I found a good video of Duality - Slipknot(not my kind of music, but it's heavy). If it doesn't suit me I could always get a good pedal though. From your experience, about how heavy can it go stock.
Quote by SG thrasher
I could play Raining Blood and it sounded ok through an Epi Les Paul standard

I think if you have anything heavier than that, or something with EMG's in it then you might blow out the speaker

actually I found out if you have high output pickups then you're supposed to use the 2nd input

thought that I'd share that
Replace the speaker and its an excellent amp. Refer to my sig to see what the VK can do with a speaker swap.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I could play Raining Blood and it sounded ok through an Epi Les Paul standard

I think if you have anything heavier than that, or something with EMG's in it then you might blow out the speaker

actually I found out if you have high output pickups then you're supposed to use the 2nd input

thought that I'd share that

That should be fine then, I don't need "insane" distortion, but pretty heavy, about like early Cannibal Corpse.

I have pretty standard LP pickups so I doubt I'll have trouble with the speaker.

I think that's pretty much a general rule for Peavey amps with two inputs, of course I've only played two Peaveys.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Replace the speaker and its an excellent amp. Refer to my sig to see what the VK can do with a speaker swap.

Wow that does sound good, what speaker would you recommend for metal?
Quote by SG thrasher
Well I put a vintage 30 in and I love it. One user found he preferred G12-75s in his 212 though, I think it was BleedDeathMetal.
I'm afraid my knowledge only runs with Celestion, so there may be better brands for your styles...

I would suggest a vintage 30 again or possibly a G12H, though that's a more 70's sound. It really depends on how you dial in your tone ofc. What's your EQ?
Right. Now your treble is high, but I believe that's due to the muddiness of the POS speaker you have in there.

If you like a lot of top end sparkle then the V30 or G12T-75 is for you.
If you're looking for a more punchy midrange sort of sound then I'd go with the G12H.

There's a handy tone selector thing on Celestion's website that can help you, though looking at it they seem to recommend V30's for everything.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/tone/index.asp