^^ just as the title says, i'm wondering, is the DSL401 good for gigging?
O O

___
There are better Marshalls out there, but it is the cheapest "decent" Marshall. However, they are way overpriced in the States, and tbh I think you'd probs be better off trying out a couple of better bang-for-buck amps such as the Peavey Classic 30, which are really well priced in the US.
It should be loud enough for small gigs, but if you want to play in front of, let's say, 200+ people, you'd have to mic it. I recommend micing anyway because otherwise you're sound will be 'uneven', if you catch my drift.

Soundquality is decent.
Quote by TheQuailman
It should be loud enough for small gigs, but if you want to play in front of, let's say, 200+ people, you'd have to mic it. I recommend micing anyway because otherwise you're sound will be 'uneven', if you catch my drift.
Oh come on, I played a 350-seat hall with a 15W Blues Junior, and I point blank refused to let the engineer mic it up. One of the nicest tones I've ever got, and easily loud enough. A 40W 1x12" is more than sufficient for 99% of gigs.
Quote by kyle62
Oh come on, I played a 350-seat hall with a 15W Blues Junior, and I point blank refused to let the engineer mic it up. One of the nicest tones I've ever got, and easily loud enough. A 40W 1x12" is more than sufficient for 99% of gigs.

Did you have a bassist and drummer playing along?
EDIT: about the tone:
I'm not saying that your sound is worse without micing, but usually you will be heared better in some areas of the room, while you'll be heared less in other areas. This can be a big problem when playing with a band, it can be avoided by using PA system with some speakers in all corners of the room.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Did you have a bassist and drummer playing along?
Damn right I did, and another guitarist. Admittedly the amp was pretty much at its limits, but still cut through the mix without any real drama. Blues Juniors are great little amps, they really are.
I've got the Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 and its a great amp. However, 2 things that let it down, the valves that are installed at the factory arn't that good and you can really only get an OK tone. Once you install JJ's all round the tone is excellant. The second worrying thing is that they do run quite hot, to the point where the front panel is like a full on radiator.

These things aside, it really is a great amp and is easily loud enough for nearly all gigs.