Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Stranglers =/= technically talented.

are you kidding me?

they had a godly keyboardist, a prominent and highly talented bassist, and their saxophonist raped the thing daily
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Good band, but the award of most technically talented punk band probably goes to the Minutemen.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
The Stranglers are one of my all time favourite bands. Their best album is probably Rattus Norvegicus, but I love all their first six albums for different reasons. You have the first three more punky albums (Rattus Norvegicus, No more Heroes, Black & White), then the next two where they made some weird scary experimental punk (Men in Black, Raven) then they made 'La Folie' which is is one of my favourite new-wave albums. After that they kinda lost it though.

I saw Hugh Cornwell play a while back at my local pub. It was a good show, it's a shame they don't reform. They should kick that jerk of a singer they have now and get Hugh....or just not play anymore.
^^ i like this guy

but yeah i agree, Hugh is pretty much the stuff
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Who's got some Stranglers that I can't download from? I just wanna make sure all of you out there who have some won't be tempted into illegally filesharing.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by radio_schizo
The Stranglers are one of my all time favourite bands. Their best album is probably Rattus Norvegicus, but I love all their first six albums for different reasons. You have the first three more punky albums (Rattus Norvegicus, No more Heroes, Black & White), then the next two where they made some weird scary experimental punk (Men in Black, Raven) then they made 'La Folie' which is is one of my favourite new-wave albums. After that they kinda lost it though.

I saw Hugh Cornwell play a while back at my local pub. It was a good show, it's a shame they don't reform. They should kick that jerk of a singer they have now and get Hugh....or just not play anymore.

Unluckily I just got a best of from 77-82 and Feline.......The only albums I could get by them are the later ones which I surely won´t like........since I also don´t really listen to Feline
Quote by pwninator123
^^ i like this guy

but yeah i agree, Hugh is pretty much the stuff

Yeah for sure, I have a wicked solo LP called Nosferatu made with the Cpt Beefheart drummer. It has guest appearences from Devo and Ian Dury and it is so great.

I like how the band were so un-pc. I guess that was why they often get affiliated with punk. The thing is they weren't contrived like many so called punk bands...I think they were generally just horrible people
Quote by radio_schizo
Yeah for sure, I have a wicked solo LP called Nosferatu made with the Cpt Beefheart drummer. It has guest appearences from Devo and Ian Dury and it is so great.

I like how the band were so un-pc. I guess that was why they often get affiliated with punk. The thing is they weren't contrived like many so called punk bands...I think they were generally just horrible people

lol i got that LP too!...it makes me happy

yeah, cuz with their instrumental prowess they're no where near the genre of punk, besides the lyrics
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
great band, i downloaded Rattus Norvegicus and Raven and they're two fantastic but markingly different albums. if Stiff Little Fingers had sex with The Doors in an alley it would sound somewhat like the Stranglers.
^^ and someone who had the ability to rape a saxophone AND get great sound out of it
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Stranglers =/= technically talented.

Wait a minute...what does =/= mean? If it was any way a slander on the band then shame on you

Btw here are some of my current fave songs on the tube(I wanted to find a link for 'It only takes two to tango')

Straighten Out

The man they love to hate

Bear Cage (Such a wicked video)

EDIT- Wtf?! Hugh Cornwell acting. Haha he sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5y1I3k1lOo&feature=related
Last edited by radio_schizo at Apr 30, 2008,
i likes them...I only have the first album though...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by radio_schizo
Wait a minute...what does =/= mean? If it was any way a slander on the band then shame on you

Btw here are some of my current fave songs on the tube(I wanted to find a link for 'It only takes two to tango')

Straighten Out

The man they love to hate

Bear Cage (Such a wicked video)

EDIT- Wtf?! Hugh Cornwell acting. Haha he sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5y1I3k1lOo&feature=related

=/= means inequal, that's why i got pissed at him
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
well listen to the keyboard at the beginning of Bear Cage...Stevie couldn't hit that
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Now this is what I call a proper thread. Without doubt one of the best bands of all time. What I want to know is, why hasn't Baronvon contributed to this thread?

This is my Youtube page with some vids of my Stranglers trib in rehearsal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimplyReg
Quote by pwninator123
their saxophonist raped the thing daily

Which one? Eric Clarke ((Get a) Grip (On Yourself); Laura Logic (Hey! (rise of the Robots)) or Alex Gifford (all the crap stuff after the "La Folie" album)?
Quote by Bubba po
Which one? Eric Clarke ((Get a) Grip (On Yourself); Laura Logic (Hey! (rise of the Robots)) or Alex Gifford (all the crap stuff after the "La Folie" album)?

ALL OF THEM

that sax was the sex

got some daily

the thing got around
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
J. J. Burnell is just brilliant. One of the best bass players to come out of the punk scene. I love the Stranglers--one of my big regrets is that I have never seen them live.
eh, i don't think they'd be worth seeing live anways, besides maybe some sax, bass and keyboard jamming

and yeah, he is a godly bassist, especially for his genre
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by anarkee
J. J. Burnell is just brilliant. One of the best bass players to come out of the punk scene. I love the Stranglers--one of my big regrets is that I have never seen them live.

Yeah he has a really unique style. As a bassist him and Mike Watt are my no.1 influences. I love the bass solo thing at the end of 'Genetix'.

eh, i don't think they'd be worth seeing live anways, besides maybe some sax, bass and keyboard jamming

Yeah I wouldn't go out of my way to see what is called The Stranglers today. But definatley see Hugh Cornwell play live if you can...he is still making good music.
Quote by Bubba po
Now this is what I call a proper thread. Without doubt one of the best bands of all time. What I want to know is, why hasn't Baronvon contributed to this thread?

This is my Youtube page with some vids of my Stranglers trib in rehearsal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimplyReg

First time I've logged on for a while but I felt the need to resurrect this thread to have my say.

The Stranglers were ****ing awesome...Hugh, JJ, Dave and Jet were in my view the most bizarre line up of all time, they were all oddities in some way shape or form. Hugh himself said that given the choice you wouldn't have put them together in a band...yet somehow, they created arguably some of the most innovative and timeless music ever produced, not to mention often being years ahead of their time.

No album the same as the last and each one of the ten albums they did worth a listen (I'm even a fan of '10' which is regarded are their turkey...it is their weakest but it's still got some good tunes on). The Raven is without doubt the best though...no matter how much music I listen to nothing will come close to beating it. After countless listens it still gets better each time...even if you've never heard of the band I'd recommend that album to anyone. Plus it includes Duchess which is my favourite song of all time. Simple yet awesome effective.

Sadly Hugh left in 1990...and since I was one year old at the time I've never had the chance to see the original line up live...and probably never will due to the rather irritating hostility between Hugh and the others which still exists 18 years on. Sure they're still going without Hugh but none of the post Cornwell stuff does anything for me, even Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI weren't up to much for my money. They'd have been much weaker if any member had left but Hugh was the one they really couldn't lose.

Ah well, at least Hugh's solo work is pretty damn good and I've been to see him live. Shame he's not touring again till February but ah well, gives me something to look forward to. His new album is also available for free download here if anyone's interested (it's an official download don't worry...in the same vein as In Rainbows). Pretty damn good but I'm not sure if it quite beats Guilty. And yes I own Nosferatu too (thought I'd mention that since it was referred to earlier)...strange yet somehow brilliant.

Anyway...think I've near enough said my piece for now. I just wish they'd at least bury the hatchet though...it's sad the way it's turned out between Hugh and the others.
Quote by Raizer Sabre
this is the biggest pile of crap i've seen since that little bit in jurassic parkwhere you see dino crap everywhere...
Last edited by Baronvon at Jul 16, 2008,
Excellent post and terrific summary there, BV. The Stranglers are the best-kept secret of all time and I really feel for you being too young to have ever seen the proper lineup live. Ferfuxake, I'm 45 and even I didn't see them until 1980. The passage of time is a terrible thing, especially as modern music formats seem to make all music the same age. The Stranglers' music sounds as fresh and powerful now as it ever did, and it must be a source of anguish to you that you can never go there and have that live experience.

I'm gratified that The Raven is your favourite album as it is mine. They reached their peak there, although every album up to that point had some utterly stunning music.

Long Live The Stranglers.
Alright, so I listened to quite a bit of the Stranglers today, a good 10 or so songs from different albums and different years.... and I must say, they are pretty damn good.

They are definitely a ****ing strange ass band but so is half the **** out there in the world and man that bassist was killer, much props to the keyboardist too and the lyrics are really golden.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
golden brown
always the sun

are my favourite songs from the stranglers
^Weird.

I just got No More Heroes. I was quite impressed.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!