I'm a pizza delivery guy, and my car has been running a long time. I expect it to finally kick the bucket soon. Its worth about $400, but I ran into someone last night that really really needs the engine out of it, and mentioned how the normal price is around $3200. So I figure I can get $1000 for my car pretty easy with them.

So with $1000, what is the most reliable, die hard car I could get? And obviously good gas mileage would also be great. I really like the older VW Jettas, or Bugs. Are they any good?
We're only strays.
i've heard that volvos will run longer than anything out there.

i'm not sure about VWs, but i do see a fair share of '80s-'90s bugs and jettas out there
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
my dad suggests a toyota
but only if you take care of it and perform maitenence nessacary...
and the maitenence is expensive...so with only $1000 it might not work out..
but i know nothing about cars
so
eh..
-shrugs-
sig under construction.
Toyotas and Hondas are very reliable.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

hondas, toyotas.

no american cars.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
90's model toyota or honda.

Exactly.

But if you can dish out another 500 bucks, see if you can get your hands on a mid 90's Golf 3, they are build like a brick sh*t house and highly reliable.
I have a Honda, thus far it hasn't been the most reliable, but maybe it's just working some kinks out since I just got it. It will be hard to find a Honda for a grand though, Hondas can be pretty pricey.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Toyota and Honda may not have the most frills and can be somewhat uncomfortable due to being gauged towards smaller people, but they are well built cars. Volvos run forever, but I've heard they tend to have electrical problems. We had a '92 Hyundai Elantra we got a lot out of too before the transmission broke at around 180k, but the previous owners towed a small trailer with it too. Again, never needed a lot of money put in to it, but they tend to burn oil and have total crap for electrical stuff.

EDIT: Nissan also builds a great budget car, but our last Nissan was an early 80's Sentra
My dad has an 88 Toyota Tercel hatchback that just died. He's fixing it up though and expects it to run again in a few days. They last forever.
I'm almost thinking of just keeping my car because its so good. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it to 300,000 miles before the engine finally gives up. Its just that I'm not willing to risk that because once the engine does go I'm looking at $3200 to get it back on the road. I definitely won't be able to sell it then, either.

I'm going to need some with around 100,000 miles on it or less to make this a good investment.
We're only strays.
My dads volvo has lasted over 10 years now. Well if you want to drive a volvo. Its a 1990 somethin. I think they're a little more used
Quote by CJRocker
Toyota and Honda may not have the most frills and can be somewhat uncomfortable due to being gauged towards smaller people..

rofl
A buddy of mines mom has an old Volvo with over 600,000 Km on it. The old Volvos may not be pretty but if your looking for a car that lasts try a Volvo. I've seen them for under $1000 (Canadian).
Well I've raised my price range to $2000 because I can do payments. I've been looking and I'm seeing a lot of Saturn SL1s for sale at under $2000 with below 100k mileage. Are those any good? I kind of doubt it. Also found a Volvo 960.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well I've raised my price range to $2000 because I can do payments. I've been looking and I'm seeing a lot of Saturn SL1s for sale at under $2000 with below 100k mileage. Are those any good? I kind of doubt it. Also found a Volvo 960.

Dude go with a honda. They last forever and are so much cheaper to maintain then VW or volvo. I dont know much about saturn though.
There is a Volvo P1800 in New York that has covered 2 600 000 miles and is still being driven.
On the original engine from what I read.
VW, up until about 98/99 are very reliable. After that, they began to sacrifice quality control in order to keep up with the market. Go for a Golf or Polo.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I've got a 1995 Volkswagen Golf, and it's the most reliable car for the money. It needed some maintenance when i first bought it, but that was because it had been sitting on an old lady's drive for years without being moved. After a new fuel injector base plate, the only thing that's gone wrong are the interior fans, so i just open the window if i'm getting steamed up.
A volvo wouldnt be a bad bet either......but VW's are just awesome
Drive me home Jeeves
Yeah I'm a big fan of the MK 2 Jettas. I had one for a first car that lasted a total of 2 days lol. I suspect that it had been tampered with, though, as in some form of foul play by a crooked seller. The reason being that it had some sort of problem within the engine block that nobody, and I mean nobody was able to fix. It probably just got scrapped. It had under 100,000 on it, to.

But I liked it for the 2 days that I had it and I want another one.
We're only strays.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Oh yea? Well Hitler started Volkswagon, so if you buy one you're a Nazi!

:|

You're a Nazi.
We're only strays.
Mercedes 190 from 1988 - bar none - nothing ever has gone wrong with that car...
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
:|

You're a Nazi.

Pshhh, I drive a Trans Am. Good ol' American Muscle!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Pshhh, I drive a Trans Am. Good ol' American Muscle!

More like Transexual am.
We're only strays.
Anyone that just says "OMG Honda or Toyota!!" Is just hopping on the bandwagon or repeating what somebody else told them. Once you narrow down the manufacturer you want, look up reviews for that specific model. Do LOTS of research, there may be an issue you overlooked that will eventually come back to bite you in the ass. Transmission is a biggie. A car thats known to have transmission issues after years of use may not be a smart choice. Those can be thousands of dollars to replace, or even repair.

I've heard Honda's can SOMETIMES last practically forever, but not every car is the same. Personally I would stay away from a VW, but I have a biased opinion against them. Cheap European crap to me.

Just do your research and choose from there.
Quote by KingDev
Anyone that just says "OMG Honda or Toyota!!" Is just hopping on the bandwagon or repeating what somebody else told them. Once you narrow down the manufacturer you want, look up reviews for that specific model. Do LOTS of research, there may be an issue you overlooked that will eventually come back to bite you in the ass. Transmission is a biggie. A car thats known to have transmission issues after years of use may not be a smart choice. Those can be thousands of dollars to replace, or even repair.

I've heard Honda's can SOMETIMES last practically forever, but not every car is the same. Personally I would stay away from a VW, but I have a biased opinion against them. Cheap European crap to me.

Just do your research and choose from there.

Well I said toyota because I work with a guy who has 3 of them. 2 of them have over 400,000 miles on them and are still running fine, and the other only has 100,000 but still runs fine.

Honda I just hear good things
subarus last practically forever too, built like a brick
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

My dad used to have a 960 for 10 years. He got over 400,000 km on it and drove it very excessively around the country, we barely had any problems with it whatsoever. It's a very reliable car.
Quote by toha33
My dad used to have a 960 for 10 years. He got over 400,000 km on it and drove it very excessively around the country, we barely had any problems with it whatsoever. It's a very reliable car.

Well the one I found is for $1900 and it has 116,000. Does that sound about right, or perhaps a bit fishy instead?
We're only strays.
Quote by BadgeMan
subarus last practically forever too, built like a brick

are you kidding? there motors and trans are absolute GARBAGE if you have one thats lasted more than 100k miles then you got a rare gem buddy.

to TS, dont buy a saturn, its just as bad as all the other crap GM makes