is it better to get a new guitar, or amp first?

i have a Fender Starcaster...and the amp that comes with it, (sp.10 watt amp)

what should I get first amp or guitar? if amp, then which one? I play classic rock, and Joe Satriani's easy songs. 350-400$ range for the amp please.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
Question 1: Is the guitar holding you back? I know that Satch uses all of those 24 frets, and the Starcasters have 21 (I believe; I've only played reg. Strats).

If that is the case, then get a guitar.

However, if the guitar is not holding you back from playing, get an amp.

I'd say go for an amp that is Britich-voiced. Look into used USA Palominos.

Laneys, Traynors, and the Peavey Classic 30 are also great.

ONE MORE EDIT: Do you plan on gigging? Or will it just be bedroom practice?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 27, 2008,
Um, both. Amp first though, unless the guitar is (near) unplayable.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
if the guitar is holding you back get sometinhg like a jackson but if its nto go for a peavey valveking 112
Quote by stratman_13
Question 1: Is the guitar holding you back? I know that Satch uses all of those 24 frets

But Satriani's signature guitar doesn't have 24 frets.
Quote by kyrreca
But Satriani's signature guitar doesn't have 24 frets.

Really?

I totally did not know that.... I could've sworn that the JS I played had 24.

Sorry mate. *sheepish grin*

IN THAT CASE, new amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
hmmm...My guitar isn't bad...I just started guitar in January of this year and i think it suits me fine.

but what difference will a new amp have on the sound?

My guitar teacher has a Peavey But I don't know which one.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
A crappy guitar through a nice amp will sound much better than a good guitar through a horrible amp.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Line 6 Spider III 120?

For Bedroom practice is this too much wattage?

and most of all, is this a good amp?
Spiders are not good amps. Pretty mcuh at all. Go for a peavey ValveKing 112. Great amp, and can be switched from a Marshall-y Class A tube setup to a much more Fender-like Class A/B sound. 2 channels, onboard reverb (spring i think), 50w all-tube (a little much, but can be tamed). Im getting one soon, and i really like it.
meh, i don't really like the VK. The cleans are fine but the gain is kinda so so
I like the C30 and Delta Blues much better
Quote by mcrfobtai
meh, i don't really like the VK. The cleans are fine but the gain is kinda so so
I like the C30 and Delta Blues much better

mixed reactions suck....
Quote by Rounder01
mixed reactions suck....

Indeed. It's fashionable to say the VK has no gain.

Youtube valveking clips and read OWNER reviews, and play one.

Should be really nice and keep you for a long time, OP.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson
Indeed. It's fashionable to say the VK has no gain.

Youtube valveking clips and read OWNER reviews, and play one.

Should be really nice and keep you for a long time, OP.

I think it has lots of gain, I just dont find the sound appealing
vox ad30 and a yamaha pacifica 112J.

always amp first, has the most tonal improvement. unless the guitar cant hold it's tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if you wanna save an extra 100 you can get a Traynor YCV50 for 500 on ebay brand new. It'll do what you want and everything inbetween. maybe a B52 also
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Keep in mind if you want to play at jam night type deals, you'll usually be able to play someone else's amp, so a nice guitar would be the better way to go... it depends on what you want to do.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Jimmyyoung
Keep in mind if you want to play at jam night type deals, you'll usually be able to play someone else's amp, so a nice guitar would be the better way to go... it depends on what you want to do.

Right now im in practice by myself mode...
it's ok, that's bad advice, imo anyway.

if you're by urself, stick to solid state about 30 watts, like the vox AD or roland cube, or a 5watt tube, like the epi Vj and a couple of pedals.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011