Page 1 of 2
Right, so I sorted out a script, now I'm totally ****ing lost.

Anyone tried to make a movie before?

I have literally no money to spend, so I'm quite ****ed right...

EDIT: I KNOW I NEED A CAMERA AND ACTORS
Last edited by meh17 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
What kind of movie?

That would be telling

Its like a drama, bit of music chucked in
That might not work so well with no budget.

Comedy action spoofs are always fun.
Signature temporarily empty
You want to make a movie? Here's a checklist of things you need:
Camera
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys
That might not work so well with no budget.

Comedy action spoofs are always fun.

Tbh idk anything, like how much I need for a video cam or anything

I'm 16, 17 next month in the UK, is there no young persons reward grant thingy?
Quote by Ichimaru
You want to make a movie? Here's a checklist of things you need:
Camera

i agree
A camera is important
do what i did, join a local film club who have other people who like film making. Or you could ask freinds who do drama to help out, which looks good on their CV and you get free actors.
Could you give us a basic plot, or show a script excerpt?

I've made shorts before but nothing amazing. I'm really interested in this and am willing to help if you need any.

First thing to do is to a few dedicated friends (which are helpful in many ways) and as good a camera as you can afford (HD, hard disc recording, focus ring).
Screw the camera, you fools.

Paint the damb thing. Paint a million pictures of things that happen in the movie.
Quote by mulletman500
Could you give us a basic plot, or show a script excerpt?

I've made shorts before but nothing amazing. I'm really interested in this and am willing to help if you need any.

First thing to do is to a few dedicated friends (which are helpful in many ways) and as good a camera as you can afford (HD, hard disc recording, focus ring).

I PMd you
If your school has any sort of drama program, there's your actors.

Have a script written and have several people read it and give you feed back. A drama teacher would be good for this.

All you need is a camcorder to shot it, but you might want a better mic to record audio.

I'd like to know the plot or have a summary of the story.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Hmm, do I really need like lighting and directors and stuff, or is that all for the big movies?

Actors should be alright to find...
Quote by meh17
Hmm, do I really need like lighting and directors and stuff, or is that all for the big movies?

Actors should be alright to find...
It depends on how you want it to look and your budget. I personally think that dramas look good shot in a low fi way, which means nothing fancy, very simple. You do need to check how the lighting looks in your shots though.

You can direct it yourself.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
It depends on how you want it to look and your budget.

You can direct it yourself.

Well budgets pretty much 0

I'll probs direct and stuff myself tbh
Quote by meh17
Well budgets pretty much 0

I'll probs direct and stuff myself tbh
How long is it?

I'd consider making a short length film first, just for gathering knowledge and experience.

MUST KNOW PLOT.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
How long is it?

I'd consider making a short length film first, just for gathering knowledge and experience.

MUST KNOW PLOT.

Bout an hour and a half I reckon, maybe a little less
Seriously, an hour and a half? I'm massively impressed, but you definitely need to get some practice filming some shorts. I'd love to read your script. I find writing dialogue impossible, which has stopped me from ever doing anything worthy.
That seems kind of long.

Can you shorten it when you film it now and remake a full length later?

Or if you think this is too good to shorten, put this on the shelf and write a short film.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

You need friends who are film students. They can borrow decent equipment. Friends will happily act for you for beer.
Quote by element4433
That seems kind of long.

Can you shorten it when you film it now and remake a full length later?

Or if you think this is too good to shorten, put this on the shelf and write a short film.

I could probably cut out a few of the less relevant scenes but tbh a lot of it's important
Quote by mulletman500
Seriously, an hour and a half? I'm massively impressed, but you definitely need to get some practice filming some shorts. I'd love to read your script. I find writing dialogue impossible, which has stopped me from ever doing anything worthy.

I write more than anything else, and I had an idea for a story, which I decided would be more appropriate as a movie
Me and my mates made a Lord of the Flies video for school. I put it up on youtube if you'd like to take a look.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfO0XOjN5HU
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0AknrVnHOo

I first read the book, then borrowed a camera.

Then my friends and I chose parts and figured out a few key scenes.

Then we filmed the key scenes and put in some filler.

Finally, I edited it with Sony Vegas Movie Studio; which is pretty inexpensive as far as
movie editing software is. It's like $80 or so. If you don't have money to spend on software, use I-Movie or Windows Movie Maker.

Just mess around with it and you'll find what you like and don't like.
Quote by meh17
I could probably cut out a few of the less relevant scenes but tbh a lot of it's important
If I was you, I'd set this project aside for a while. This seems like trying to record an album after one day of band practice.

But keep writing and making films, eventually you'll be ready.

That's just my opinion.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Just use CGI. All CGI. Who cares how crappy it looks. Like literally, do what you can with CGI and whatever comes out is what you get. That'd probably be pretty funny. Mix in actors, ofcourse. Just put them in front of a green screen.
We're only strays.
Quote by lemonsquares42
Me and my mates made a Lord of the Flies video for school. I put it up on youtube if you'd like to take a look.

Finally, I edited it with Sony Vegas Movie Studio; which is pretty inexpensive as far as
movie editing software is. It's like $80 or so. If you don't have money to spend on software, use I-Movie or Windows Movie Maker.

Windows Movie Maker never ceases to impress. If only it had better titling features and a colour filter it would be amazing. I've recently been using Adobe Premier which is pretty high in the range, and I prefer Movie Maker.

As to meh17, why don't you trying filming a trailer? That way you include the best dialogue and set pieces and will get a rough tone for the film you want to make whilst getting practice.
Quote by lemonsquares42

I liked your videos with the exception of the music and alittle bit of editing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
I liked your videos with the exception of the music and alittle bit of editing.

Thanks mate. The editing was a tad rushed and the music was what I happened to have on a mix CD at the time, so the thing wasn't entirely professional.

Ah, and also the sound was terrible when we recorded. We just used the mic on the camera instead of getting a boom mic; so the sound of the leaves were very loud over the talking. Also, a few of the scenes had the camera start late, so the very beginning was cut off. But eh, oh well. I had to work with what I had.

Another thing; my mate's camera died halfway through filming, so we had to use my crappy camera for the last half. All the filming was done in one day; and the end of the movie was very rushed in filming because a few of them had to leave. So at parts, the quality is much worse.

Sony Vegas has this really cool "Glow" option that can be really cool. I used it for most of the movie to add a dream like state to everything. It's hard to adjust sometimes and at times it is overpowering, but I think it looked cool for the most part. An idea of what I mean by "Glow" is like from Munic. It's got this glowish feel to almost all the scenes. It's hard to explain, but take a look at some of the scenes from there to get that idea.

But we had a lot of fun with it, and we didn't put too much effort into it, so making a film isn't really that hard. It's just getting all the details and things right and making it look professional.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by lemonsquares42

hahaxD that was pretty kool. I liked the pig. Thats the program i got, I got the trial, and its really easy to learn, but you can still do a lot of kool stuff
I might shoot a trailer, then just shoot some scenes as sort of demos, so I can used to it

Once I get the hang of it I'll probs reshoot the earlier scenes

Good idea?

ALSO: How long do you reckon it'll take to get the movie finished (just the shooting side)
^ It depends on how well you organise it (locations, actors, equipment, weather). Plan to do a scene or so a day, as this keeps continuity easy.

If it's very dialogue-y, then you might want to record the sound separately or with an external mic so it sounds better.

Are there any action scenes or anything? Like car chase, anything in water, jumps etc...
go to www.videomaker.com for directing tips, theres a dude on those forums who made a feature length horror movie- driftwood i think it was called - for like £100.
where are you from? if youre near me then I'd love to be part of the crew
Don't tell people your plot on the internet in case they nick it!

I have invented a few characters but never a real story.
Quote by mulletman500
If it's very dialogue-y, then you might want to record the sound separately or with an external mic so it sounds better.

Are there any action scenes or anything? Like car chase, anything in water, jumps etc...

An external mic sounds like a good idea, but then idk about costs

As for the action, there isn't any really, so thats manageable

Quote by MooshMooshMarc
where are you from? if youre near me then I'd love to be part of the crew

Cheers for the site, It'll be done in London, bit far but if you wanna come down let me know
Quote by Sabu
Don't tell people your plot on the internet in case they nick it!

I have invented a few characters but never a real story.

I'm not giving anyone the full story, just an outline
Page 1 of 2