Page 1 of 2
Ok so my band is going to start playing shows this summer...I've got an MG250(yes I know it sucks) and I use a Metal Muff to compensate for the ***ty distortion on the amp...The amp has 100 watts which is more than enough but the problem is I have to turn the gain down on the clean channel(which also cuts the volume) in order to get the sound I like from the pedal...My question is whether or not I'll be able to use this setup or am I going to need to get a new amp?
You can always mic up an amp to the house PA system to compensate for volume. Getting a good tone should be your primary concern.

I'd ditch the MG. No pedal can truly rectify bad tone like that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Oh believe me I'd love to get that pos off my hands but I just don't have the kind of money I need to get what I really want...

The Metal Muff actually gives me a pretty good tone (miles ahead of the overdrive channel on the amp), but then again I haven't played the pedal through any other amp but an MG...

Does running it through a mic mess with the sound? I've heard conflicting opinions.
You can use it, it just won't cut through very well and your tone will be complete sh!t.

Some venues have house amps. Find out if your place has any, and if they are tube amps you can just plug your pedal into that. Otherwise, either save up for a cheap tube amp or borrow someone's.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Last edited by mafropetee at Apr 27, 2008,
its giggable, it just wont sound too good

and isnt that 250 watts since its the MG 250?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
This has been such a frustrating situation for me b/c my amp is a piece of crap, I don't have the money for a Dual Recto, and the only store around me that takes trade ins is GC and they don't have anything worth trading for except for maybe a Spider 3 half stack, but that's no better than the MG
Quote by seizetheday1103
its giggable, it just wont sound too good

and isnt that 250 watts since its the MG 250?

No it's 250 b/c it's 100 watts split up through 2 speakers...2 x 500 = 100...dumb reasoning for the name on Marshall's part
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']First off, how big are these places or venues?

Not too big but med sized music halls...we'll most likely be the "local band" that plays before bigger acts...one of them might be As I Lay Dying if that gives you an idea of how big the places will be.

The situation that worries me is the music festival we might be playing...it's outdoors
Quote by zhunt1130
Dual Recto

Who said it had to be such an expensive amp? You can get a 5-15w tube amp for around $200, and that's loud enough to play most gigs, and if it's not you can easily mic it. And the tone will be vastly superior to the MG.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Do what I did.
Sell it for half it's price (£150-$300) and buy a 15-30watt tube amp. That'll do nicely!

30 watts for an outdoor show...do you really think thats gonna be enough power? I mean I'm sure I could mic it, but I don't wanna look like an idiot opening up for pretty big metal acts that play through all tube amps with 150 if not more.
Quote by mafropetee
Who said it had to be such an expensive amp? You can get a 5-15w tube amp for around $200, and that's loud enough to play most gigs, and if it's not you can easily mic it. And the tone will be vastly superior to the MG.

I absolutely love rectos and I feel like if I get anything else, I'm just going to be unsatisfied
Quote by zhunt1130
30 watts for an outdoor show...do you really think thats gonna be enough power? I mean I'm sure I could mic it, but I don't wanna look like an idiot opening up for pretty big metal acts that play through all tube amps with 150 if not more.

Very few guitarists have amps bigger than 100 watters. Alot of times they run multiple amps, but 2 100 watters isn't like 200 watts.

Tons of arena/stadium/festival playing bands play AC30's, 50 watt Marshalls etc. etc. etc.

Get a Shure sm57 to mic it and the sound comin through the pa will be nearly identical to whats comin out of your amp, in which case you should ditch the mg.
got any suggestions for a 50-100 watt amp head then? I play metal so VOX probably wouldn't tickle my fancy.
Quote by zhunt1130
Oh believe me I'd love to get that pos off my hands but I just don't have the kind of money

So it is true? You actually need to give people money for them to take an MG off your hands?

Seriously, you're going to need to get rid of the amp.
Quote by zhunt1130
got any suggestions for a 50-100 watt amp head then? I play metal so VOX probably wouldn't tickle my fancy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

it is the sex, i got a 112 yesterday and have since fallen in love with it

also, ive used my friends 112 yesterday giging for my entire school with the volume at 2, so i dont think that you will even need to mic the VK100 to a PA unless your playing like 1000+ seat venues
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Bugera amps are pretty nice. Im a Mesa junkie as well... Your not touching anything for below $1000.00 in nice shape..no comparison in tone and power though. Have you checked out the Line 6 Spider Valve combo? its basically a Line6 preamp with a Bogner tube power amp section. damn things sounds beautiful.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by divinecrossfire
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

it is the sex, i got a 112 yesterday and have since fallen in love with it

also, ive used my friends 112 yesterday giging for my entire school with the volume at 2, so i dont think that you will even need to mic the VK100 to a PA unless your playing like 1000+ seat venues

your over-exagerating...

2 isnt even loud on my 212 100 watter.

and i dont wanna sound like im having a go at you, but if you played in front of the entire school on 2, i doubt anyone would have heard you over the drums.
Quote by zhunt1130
I absolutely love rectos and I feel like if I get anything else, I'm just going to be unsatisfied

That is a terrible, terrible mindset to have.
sell your squier, spider, and your mg, and then buy yourself something nice... or even sell your PRS or your Schecter on top of that and buy yourself something really nice
I'd say save up for a new amp. I think that the MG would work for now, yes it is pretty bad but a non guitarist wouldn't be able to make out THAT big a difference, so you should be good.
Feed your mind.
I was actually looking at the valve king...I'd really just like something with a lot of tube power that won't sound like crap when I run my Metal Muff through it...of course if the distortion is good enough on the actual amp, I wouldn't even need the pedal, but I don't know if the distortion could get much more brutal than what the pedal puts out
Quote by C-RIS15
sell your squier, spider, and your mg, and then buy yourself something nice... or even sell your PRS or your Schecter on top of that and buy yourself something really nice

I could easily sell my my squier, prs and the spider(which I only bought to bring to my dorm room b/c I wasn't about to drag my mg up 5 flights of stairs for practices)...but I would NEVER part ways with my Schecter I'm in love with it, hell I'd sleep with it if my gf didn't take up the extra space in bed haha
Quote by KaneIsRaw13
Peavey 5150/6505

A little pricey...actually a lot pricey...prob would only have 750 including the MG sale to work with
B- 52. Ah! A tone that Im so close to getting to. Amazing for the price.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
Quote by Down Shifter
B- 52. Ah! A tone that Im so close to getting to. Amazing for the price.

Are they good for metal...I really don't play anything else
yeah get a b52 if you can. For metal you want loud, so 30 watts is not enough. I say this because i used to play in a metal band, and we used 100 watt amps. Try to get a b52
Quote by nyandres
yeah get a b52 if you can. For metal you want loud, so 30 watts is not enough. I say this because i used to play in a metal band, and we used 100 watt amps. Try to get a b52

Yea I want something loud cuz I don't want to look like a p**** if we land this gig opening for As I lay Dying
Your rig will work fine for gigs. Honestly, the MG with any sort of pedal will give you even just a decent tone, and that's all that matters. You think even 10% of the people will give two ****s about the tone? Tone talk is for guitarists, not casual listeners. The MG250 will be more than loud enough to be heard (especially if mic'd) and will get your point across. Play the songs well and that's what people will remember. I used an MG100 combo in a large music hall once with a full band and still was heard only running just past half volume. Use the MG until you can save up for something nice.
Quote by slayer89
Your rig will work fine for gigs. Honestly, the MG with any sort of pedal will give you even just a decent tone, and that's all that matters. You think even 10% of the people will give two ****s about the tone? Tone talk is for guitarists, not casual listeners. The MG250 will be more than loud enough to be heard (especially if mic'd) and will get your point across. Play the songs well and that's what people will remember. I used an MG100 combo in a large music hall once with a full band and still was heard only running just past half volume. Use the MG until you can save up for something nice.

So do you think selling the MG and getting a tube head in the $600 dollar range is just a waste of money I could be saving for the Recto I really want? And do you think running the Metal Muff through a tube amp is going to give me that much better of a tone? If not then I really don't see the point in paying any money for a head and cab even after I sell my MG.
I say save up for the recto which you really want. and use the mg on the meanwhile. People just jump on the bandwagon. You can actualy get good tones out of the mg if you know what you are doing.
Quote by slayer89
You think even 10% of the people will give two ****s about the tone? Tone talk is for guitarists, not casual listeners.

At the first gig I went to, way before I started playing guitar, the opening act had crappy as tone. Crappy PA mixing, Crapping and buzzy micing, and what not.
Most of the people at the show agreed with me. So if you ask me, that statement is false. And as I have found, a crappy tone pushes people away from the gig.
Quote by zhunt1130
So do you think selling the MG and getting a tube head in the $600 dollar range is just a waste of money I could be saving for the Recto I really want? And do you think running the Metal Muff through a tube amp is going to give me that much better of a tone? If not then I really don't see the point in paying any money for a head and cab even after I sell my MG.

I'd say save up until you can get what you really want and use what you have in the mean time. If you keep settling for smaller stuff, you're just going to make it take longer to get to your goal.

Quote by Moe.
At the first gig I went to, way before I started playing guitar, the opening act had crappy as tone. Crappy PA mixing, Crapping and buzzy micing, and what not.
Most of the people at the show agreed with me. So if you ask me, that statement is false. And as I have found, a crappy tone pushes people away from the gig.

This is completely different than what I was talking about. There's a huge difference between mediocre guitar tone and a sound guy who doesn't know what the **** he's doing.
Quote by nyandres

Wrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrong!!!!!!!!!

If you use 100 watt amp, you will have to play loud, b/c they sound better turned up.

You would be better off gettin somethin you can crank the knobs up on. For a standard club gig, you could run 100watter at about 2. I just played a club that holds about 350 people, with my 50 watt Marshall..... Master and channel volume were both on 2. My ears were ringing when I got done.

People with 100 watt amps, not playing in at least large clubs, are a sound guys worst nightmare.
Last edited by MAYNARD at Apr 28, 2008,
Honestly I think the Valveking is the best option at this point. B-52 has a reputation for hit-and-miss reliability, and Bugera if I'm not mistaken is another of Behringer's lines...which could be worse than the MG.

The valveking is made for versatility, and should handle the sound just fine with either method of distortion. The 50W combo will do just fine. Actually, it won't sound much quieter than your MG.

Also, don't worry about looking stupid..do you know how many pros have used Vox AC30 and Fender Twin Reverb combos on stage?
Nope, no sig here.
Well the places we'd be playing aren't exactly small...they wont be bars where people are going to want to socialize while they listen, all the shows we'd be playing are in music halls before pretty big bands and the people are only the to listen...I've never been to a metal show where the guitarists didn't use big amps (rectos, kranks, framus, engl)...so Maynard I think anything less than 50 watts wont work as the venues are actually quite big....big enough for a thousand or two...95% of the bands don't mic their amps
Page 1 of 2