i've used the searchbar but i can't find what i need to know. i know how to set a metronome, i understand note values and all the theory behind a metronome but i just can't play to a metronome. i can play to a drummer or another guitarist but i can't get it right with a metronome. ex: i know i can play 16ths at 120 bpm without tension but i can never play it on beat with a metronome ( i know this number since i tabbed out one of my songs in guitar pro) has anyone ever had this problem, or can anyone give me any advice to fix this?

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
I have the same problem.. At about 120bpm playing with a metronome I slip, even though I can legato at well over 210 and pick about 170... Its really confusing.
its cause, a metronome isn't human, it does slow down, or speed up, like a drummer or another guitar player
the people i play with keep good enough time, and so do I when playing, the little click just tends to slow down if i focus on it, but if i try to play along i always end up with my rhythm slippiing into a different time then the beat( my 1 somehow shifts to its 2 then i just lose my focus and have to start again) but if i play to a recording i always keep good time to the song..

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
Quote by Chikao42
I have the same problem.. At about 120bpm playing with a metronome I slip, even though I can legato at well over 210 and pick about 170... Its really confusing.

its just a matter of learning to play in time. You would think that being able to play at fast speeds would allow you to play at any speed, but it doesnt work out that way. Just practice to a metronome often. rather then just using it to gauge how fast you can play, you should also use to work on timing and feel, at various tempos.
Quote by EllttEll
its cause, a metronome isn't human, it does slow down, or speed up, like a drummer or another guitar player

a metronome slows down and speeds up? I hope its a misunderstanding of my part.

I would help to read the actual music and download "Power Tab" if you havent done it.
When recording I can only used metronomes that mark the first down beat (tac tic tic tic - tac tic tic tic). But for practice it doesn't bother me which one it is.
A metronome doesn't do anything different than a drum track. It just maintains
a steady click to whatever tempo you set. It doesn't speed up or slow down.
Since it IS a simple click, you can HEAR if you're ahead of the beat or behind it
much easier.

It simply sounds like you have a fundamental timing problem which the metronome
is kindly pointing out to your attention. You can work on it some more or ignore the
problem. That's up to you.
When I first started using the metronome, I almost went insane. Of course I had been playing 4 years before I even tried, which isn't good, but I could swear it was speeding up or slowing down randomly and f*cking up. After a few days I got used to it and now I feel weird practicing a scale without one.
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
if you cant play to a metronome you shouldnt be playing. Dont ever think about playing a gig, or recording if youre not going to play it to a metronome.

"I have the same problem.. At about 120bpm playing with a metronome I slip, even though I can legato at well over 210 and pick about 170... Its really confusing."

you obviously cant legato well over 210 for more than 2 seconds if you slip at 120.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
For an interesting rhythmic challenge if/when you're working on your swing feel, try practicing with the metronome set to beats 2 & 4 (set it to a 1 beat click at half your tempo and count them as 2 & 4)
Getting a drum machine helped
I think it's becuase of the base drums, rolls, cymble instead of just
hearing click,click,click.
Plus I get more familar with different types of drumming style.

It took me a while to get use to it, i guess it help. I made adjustments.
Quote by BBell
if you cant play to a metronome you shouldnt be performing. Dont ever think about playing a gig, or recording if youre not going to play it to a metronome.
Fixed.

You have to be able to play in time to perform or record music, but when you start playing, your timing is going to be awful.
Fact: Playing in time at a lower BPM is harder than playing in time at a higher BPM.

Fact: If it seems like the metronome is slowing down, it means that you naturally speed up while you're playing, and that's not good.

Fact: Count out loud.
I can't play to one either, I'm a little better with just a drum track, and better with a bass.
Maybe a stupid question at this point in the thread, but you're not using one of those old pyramid-shaped, wind-up metronomes are you? I had an old one from when I was a kid taking piano lessons, and it kept time worse than me. If you don't have a digital one, get one.

I'm also getting a kick out of the fact that we all have (or at least had) trouble with the metronome. Especially at 120bpm. Since it's the tempo that a huge percentage of popular rock songs are played at. Gotta just go to bootcamp with it.
Jam On!