My summer project is going to be to build a strat built to my spec. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible while still getting a very good quality guitar. Ebay has a lot of genuine fender american bodies for sale for $120-150 and I was wondering how well those compare to say warmoth bodies. The price of the warmoth would be much more expensive if I wanted to have it painted as well (about $320). I would assume the American fender bodies such as this one would be fine am I wrong?

As far as necks go, I would assume that would be one place where warmoth might be best.
~Nick
Well, if you're going to get a Fender body you may aswell just buy a Fender guitar and replace whatever you want.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by ccrnnr9
My summer project is going to be to build a strat built to my spec. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible while still getting a very good quality guitar. Ebay has a lot of genuine fender american bodies for sale for $120-150 and I was wondering how well those compare to say warmoth bodies. The price of the warmoth would be much more expensive if I wanted to have it painted as well (about $320). I would assume the American fender bodies such as this one would be fine am I wrong?

As far as necks go, I would assume that would be one place where warmoth might be best.
~Nick

Either way sounds fine, like you said it's to your specs. The american body quality should be just fine so it's a matter of just how much you feel like spending and what specs your looking for.
Well my thought process is that by getting the body and everything separate I may end up spending a bit more but I can get everything I want customized to my spec. The other option would be to get a MIM strat and swap out the pups, etc. I like the idea of building from scratch though.
Quote by ccrnnr9
Well my thought process is that by getting the body and everything separate I may end up spending a bit more but I can get everything I want customized to my spec. The other option would be to get a MIM strat and swap out the pups, etc. I like the idea of building from scratch though.

Assembling a Partscaster is way simpler than building from scratch. It can also be very inexpensive if you're patient and wait for evilBay bargains.

Reliable Fender (Stratosphere) is highly-regarded but you can do better elsewhere ... you need to hunt them down.

Warmoth is highly-regarded, too, but it's the worst Bang for the $$$, an opinion. The positive: It's idiot-proof.

Good Luck!

I am assuming by partscaster you mean building off of a MIM or getting a loaded body (one already wired and what not)?
~Nick
Quote by ccrnnr9
I am assuming by partscaster you mean building off of a MIM or getting a loaded body (one already wired and what not)?
~Nick

MIM and MIA or MIJ, depending on your patience and/or hunting skills. It doesn't have to be loaded bodies since you can get all the hardware, PUs, PG, tuners, nut, pots, switches, etc. separately.

A $12 soldering kit from RadioShack and an hour of practice will take care of "wiring" guitar electronics.