Whenever I play anywhere from about the 11th to 15th frets on the low E string on my guitar, it makes this loud, unpleasant sound that kind of swells. My guitar teacher said that it is feedback. The only way I can make it not happen is if I switch to the bridge pickup or turn the gain WAY down. I tried it on a different amp and it still did it. I tried moving farther away from the amp and it still did it. I have a Fender Strat. Any advice on how to make this stop?
Whilst playing, you'll need to mute any strings you aren't playing either with your picking or fretting hand (Picking hand is more commonly used). Get used to rolling down the volume knob while you aren't playing.
That's about all you can do apart from buy a noise gate for when you aren't playing.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Maybe your neck pup is to close to the strings? Try lowering it.

Someone back me up on this
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Yeah - Mute any string not being used, turn the gain down and try to keep away from the amp. That's it really.
^ +1 to everything above.

Also, watch where you stand in relation to your amp. If you're right up to the speakers, you'll feedback much easier.

Buy a BOSS NS-2 if you have lots of feedback problems, they're great.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Actually a while back I had the thing in the neck adjusted so that the strings are lower, could that have caused it?
Its possible. Just try lowering the neck pickup. Its something that you can do yourself without spending money, so I would try that first.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Ok thanks I'll look into that. I think my guitar teacher mentioned that, I was trying to remember what he said
haha I just looked at your name for the first time. Mine is Jordan too. My real name I mean. Anyway....good luck with that.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Also, check your bridge saddle. Sometime a loose saddle can bring a lots of unwanted noise.