how do i no which powerchords fit in a a certain key?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
refer to the scale...find the next note you wanna go to...build the fith and 7th on top of it to build your power chord.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
Quote by stackedxactor
refer to the scale...find the next note you wanna go to...build the fith and 7th on top of it to build your power chord.

Power chords do not contain a seventh.
nope, it either root and fifth, or root, fifth, octave (eigth), no seventh
and yeah use the scale of the key your in, and you can play any of those notes as the root of the power chord.
someone correct me if im wrong somehow please
Quote by Keethran
nope, it either root and fifth, or root, fifth ocave (eigth), no seventh
someone correct me if im wrong somehow please

It's a root and a fifth, yes.
so basically make sure the root note has the same notes that are in the scale?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
so basically make sure the root note has the same notes that are in the scale?

You check whether the root note fits into the scale, but make sure to see where the fifth fits in as well.
so lets say the C phyrigian scale has the notes: C C# D# F G G# A#. i just have to make sure the root note of the powrer chord contains any of the notes?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
so lets say the C phyrigian scale has the notes: C C# D# F G G# A#. i just have to make sure the root note of the powrer chord contains any of the notes?

Well, C Phrygian is based off Ab major, so the notes would be C Db Eb F G Ab Bb. Your naming is not correct. The root note doesn't "contain" any notes, the scale would contain the root note.
Quote by :-D
Power chords do not contain a seventh.

ah **** you're right. my bad. i wasn't thinking.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
You check whether the root note fits into the scale, but make sure to see where the fifth fits in as well.

You can get away with a fifth not being in the scale. In the E locrian scale, the fifth is a B-flat but it would work just as well with a B-natural.
Quote by pwrmax
You can get away with a fifth not being in the scale. In the E locrian scale, the fifth is a B-flat but it would work just as well with a B-natural.

I know, I just said to see where it fits in.

The example's off, though. That b5 is really the key note in the Locrian mode. An E power chord is not in the E Locrian scale, so you're not playing E Locrian.
That all depends on how he's using it. If he's playing the E5 as a drone then I would agree with you. If the E5 is part of a riff, which includes Bb5, then I would say it's locrian.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
That all depends on how he's using it. If he's playing the E5 as a drone then I would agree with you. If the E5 is part of a riff, which includes Bb5, then I would say it's locrian.

I personally don't agree, but it's amazing that this thread went from power chords to the Locrian mode this quickly.
I personally don't agree, but it's amazing that this thread went from power chords to the Locrian mode this quickly.

That's because Power Chords and Modes are about as metal as it gets.
I personally don't agree

Why not? A riff that's like E5, F5 and Bb5 would sound hideously locrian to me
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Why not? A riff that's like E5, F5 and Bb5 would sound hideously locrian to me

I don't think that would stay harmonically stable in terms of the mode, but either way my thinking is that in E, the Bb is what makes it Locrian. That's the note that essentially defines the mode. As soon as I hear a B natural, I would not be thinking E Locrian because you're wandering outside the context of the mode.

There's nothing in that progression to me that suggest Locrian like a half-diminished seventh chord. I'd probably hear that as being closer to E blues.
I don't think that would stay harmonically stable in terms of Locrian
I think the point of locrian is that it's not stable. It desperately wants to move to something consonant. When you don't let it move, that's when you get your locrian sound.

but either way my thinking is that in E, the Bb is what makes it Locrian. That's the note that essentially defines the mode. As soon as I hear a B natural, I would not be thinking E Locrian because you're wandering outside the context of the mode.
So how would you describe a riff (as opposed to a chord progression) that has E as the tonal centre and uses E5 F5 and Bb5?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I think the point of locrian is that it's not stable. It desperately wants to move to something consonant. When you don't let it move, that's when you get your locrian sound.

So how would you describe a riff (as opposed to a chord progression) that has E as the tonal centre and uses E5 F5 and Bb5?

I meant "not harmonically stable" as in "it doesn't remain Locrian", but you're right; the mode is very harmonically unstable.

Like I said, I'd describe that as being closer to E blues; among other factors, it contains both the B natural and B flat.
Like I said, I'd describe that as being closer to E blues
Sorry I missed that, was it an edit?

Edit: So why would you consider it E blues if it has an F? Wouldn't you hear that as 'wandering outside the context' of blues?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Sorry I missed that, was it an edit?

Yeah, I threw it in at the end in an edit, no problem; the "like I said" wasn't to be a jackass.
Like I said, I'd describe that as being closer to E blues; among other factors, it contains both the B natural and B flat.
Let's make an "E Metal scale!!!!!"

E F G A Bb B C D

Looks good to me.
Quote by werty22
Just use the triads of the major scale and take away the thirds.

Except the triad built on the leading note is diminished and doesn't have a perfect fifth, making it not a power chord.
well...say ur in c major....

C D E F G A B

c + g yup
d + a yup
e + Bb nope
f + Cb nope
g + D yup
a + E yup
b + Gb nope

sorry my sharp key doesnt work lol....

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I usually just go after the blues scale, say you're in A, your choices are to go to F, G, A, C, D, and E i think, all these sound good, but boring, so i usually spice them up with some stoner licks or some truly ****ed up Power chords.
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by wyldelife
I usually just go after the blues scale, say you're in A, your choices are to go to F, G, A, C, D, and E i think, all these sound good, but boring, so i usually spice them up with some stoner licks or some truly ****ed up Power chords.

It could fit nicely just about anywhere if you opt out for some "diminished power chords". It's in quotation marks because it's really just an interval. Still sounds kinda cool though.
Quote by metallicafan616

C D E F G A B

c + g yup
d + a yup
e + Bb nope
f + Cb nope
g + D yup
a + E yup
b + Gb nope

"e + Bb nope
f + Cb nope
b + Gb nope"

I must have missed the part where comprised power chords were comprised by diminished fifths and sixths.
Last edited by shigidab0p at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by shigidab0p
"e + Bb nope
f + Cb nope
b + Gb nope"

I must have missed the part where C major had flats. Or when sixths comprised power chords.

Actually they're b5's.
Quote by metallicafan616

C D E F G A B

c + g yup
d + a yup
e + Bb nope
f + Cb nope
g + D yup
a + E yup
b + Gb nope

Your "sharp key" shouldn't need to come into play save for the B, two of those are just wrong.

E5: E B
F5: F C
And B5 should be B F#.
Your "sharp key" shouldn't need to come into play save for the B, two of those are just wrong.

E5: E B
F5: F C
And B5 should be B F#.

i was tired and was thinking that all the strings were 5 semitones apart :P

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost