I was annoyed at myself for doing nothing but improvising and practicing my technique, and not learning songs, so the other day I learned most of the MoP rythym part. I have it about 90% speed alt picked, and 75% downpicked. Now, anyways.

1.Would I be crazy to play the intro to this solo with alt picking, and a bit of legato, instead of all legato?

2.I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but in the first part of the solo, do I need to bar the 12th fret with my first finger, because I can't even play it slowly like that.

3.Do I need a whammy to play it?

Thanks, and sorry about the unfinished thread I accidentally posted.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
I was annoyed at myself for doing nothing but improvising and practicing my technique, and not learning songs, so the other day I learned most of the MoP rythym part. I have it about 90% speed alt picked, and 75% downpicked. Now, anyways.

1.Would I be crazy to play the intro to this solo with alt picking, and a bit of legato, instead of all legato?

2.I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but in the first part of the solo, do I need to bar the 12th fret with my first finger, because I can't even play it slowly like that.

3.Do I need a whammy to play it?

Thanks, and sorry about the unfinished thread I accidentally posted.

1. I don't believe it's all legato, you can hear pick strokes on the B string if I remember correctly.

2. I would, it means less hand movement.

3. Kirk used the bar to make those high pitched wailing noises, but you don't really need it.
yeah, what the last guy said. i have the MoP tab book and:
1. yeah, it's some legato some not.
2. personally i barre the 12th fret
3. yeah, to get it to sound the same you need a whammy bar, but tbh you can sound almost as good without
Love this song

1. You wouldn't be crazy, but I legato some and pick the notes on the B string

2. Yeah, I bar it. Just makes things easier.

3. You would only really need the whammy bar for the squeal about halfway through the solo, you could also do a pinch harmonic on the 3rd fret of the G string and bend it. The last bend can be done with whammy or a vibrato bend on the 22nd fret of the high E string.

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy this song nearly as much as I do.
For speed you have to barre it.

I also legato the notes on the e string, turn my amp up load enough and hammer hard enough where it sounds like picking,

BUT

pick the notes on the B.

It would take a lot of work, but you could try to pick the notes on the B string and pluck the notes on the e string with your ring finger, it may get sloppy though
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive