I need bass strings that sound like new for a long time. I have some string cleaner but can anyone recommend a brand of strings that have a long-lasting bright sound. I've heard good things about Rotosound but I've never tried them so I could use someone's opinion.
Ive never used them, but Elixer is putting out Bass strings now...expensive, but, I would bet they last a DAMN long time...
i only use ernie ball strings, im not sure how long they last but mine are about 3 months old right now and they still sound good
I would say Elixers would be good for this kinda thing. Even tho they are expensive, they sound new for a long time. Like 2, maybe 3x longer than normal strings.
use elixers, they are expensive but they last a very long time, the only reason i ever replaced mine was because i broke a string on my first set of them. my friend bought an ibanez about a year and a half ago and he is stll using the same set of elixers.
Quote by pwrmax
I've heard good things about Rotosound but I've never tried them

Roto's are really quite good, especially for the price. I kept mine in for quite a while without them getting too dull.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Yes i would say rotosound too.

Currently im using dadario but will go back to Roto next change
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Rotos? Really? They always seem to die pretty quickly!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I've always had Rotosounds die so fast they came out of the pack crap.

Optima's last a bloody long time, according to members of the forum.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Elixers are definately the ones you want for this.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I found elixers do last a long time, but i'm not a huge fan of their tone. A set of elixers lasted me 6 months before dying, but the stuff on them is weird and sort've flakes off towards the end of their lifespan.

Nickel roto's last me around three months a time, i've just put some steels on my six and their holding up nicely so far.
The EB strings i used barely lasted a month, awful.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Rotos? Really? They always seem to die pretty quickly!

Are you confusing mellowing with dying? It's true; rotos only keep their really overt brightness for a couple of weeks, which I think is the best of their lifespan, but then they settle into a nice low midsy growl that I love as well.
Fender stockers tend to last a pretty long while...the original ones from my four-year-old bass are currently in use by an Ibanez and still sound fairly new.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Fender stockers tend to last a pretty long while...the original ones from my four-year-old bass are currently in use by an Ibanez and still sound fairly new.

lol que?

I was under the impression that Fender strings are dead by *hyperbole*.

EDIT: Thought of a nice simile.

I was under the impression that Fender strings die as fast as babies born in Sudan.

Too mean?
Last edited by IndianRockStar at Apr 27, 2008,
Not quite. In my experience they just take a long time to lose the initial brightness, but then they kind of level out and have a nice mellow sound.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you confusing mellowing with dying? It's true; rotos only keep their really overt brightness for a couple of weeks, which I think is the best of their lifespan, but then they settle into a nice low midsy growl that I love as well.

Yeah, I guess I am. I just assumed that the TS was looking for strings that keep that initial brightness for longer than something like Rotosounds, which lose theirs pretty quickly compared to, lets say Elixirs. Although Rotosounds are actually much brighter to begin with!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
No string has that initial brightness for all that long. Maybe Elixirs do, but they also have that nanoweb **** on them that turns tonnes of people off.

Regarding Fender strings, that's gotta be a lie. I had Fenders on my bass that died in virtually a week. Never mind the fact they sounded and felt terrible.
All strings change tone over the first month of use. It's just a case of finding a string you like the sound of after that initial period.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Rotosound all the way man.

You will now witness may people on this forum telling you the same.

yes indeed

i tried them out from reading posts on here and now im convinced

they really great
my current Rotosound SS's are approaching 2 months since installation, and i'm still very pleased with their tone. they see probably 6 to 10 hours a week of use.
Rotosound is my sound.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

That's exactly how I would describe rotos, the ones on my jazz were really bright for about a week or two, but now they've got this nice, full sound: not too bright, not too dull. If anyone's looking for a bright set of strings, though, I'd recommend checking out warwick's strings. The stainless steel set on my Schecter have been on it for about two months, and they still sound freakishly new.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
my current Rotosound SS's are approaching 2 months since installation, and i'm still very pleased with their tone. they see probably 6 to 10 hours a week of use.
Rotosound is my sound.

Hate to break it to you, but rotosounds is probably the sound of half the board here and I'm willing to bet a good chunk of bass players world wide.