From this...

To this.

I'm getting rid of everything except the body.
1-piece maple neck: Warmoth AAA birdseye 24.75" conversion neck
Wilkinson VS100 w/steel block
JB in the bridge (maybe a pink one?)
50's style pickups in the neck and middle (not sure what make quite yet)
Schaller locking tuners & straplocks
CTS pots
Graphtec nut

I'm pretty well set on the design but I wanted to run it by you guys first. Thoughts?
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 28, 2008,
Sounds pretty sweet! I like the pink pickup idea especially. It should look really unique.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
colour co-ordination my man. if you're gonna get a pink pickup, get a pink strap or something as well.

edit: although personally id advise getting a purple pickup, and getting a strap the colour of the maple neck
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
^ yeah...oops. I'll probably have cord make me some. I'll have to ask if he can do purple...hmmm.

Screw color coordination. It's purple and pink, it's not going to go with anything anyway. I'll get a leopard print strap and call it a day.
no, im not stealing you a neck, dont ask. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Are they gold lace sensors in there? Please tell me you're not going to get rid of them?
Quote by Roc8995
I'm getting rid of everything except the body.
Seems a bit drastic, to me. Necks are expensive, and finding a real Fender neck isn't all that easy. It might be cheaper to trade in your guitar for a used MIM Strat HSS with an all maple neck. Then do all the Mods to take that one where you want to go.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by tubadude
no, im not stealing you a neck, dont ask. . .

Will you not steal me a neck...wink wink?

Quote by supergerbil
Are they gold lace sensors in there? Please tell me you're not going to get rid of them?

Yes, I'm going to get rid of them. They're nice, but they don't have the vintage vibe in the 3 and 4 position that I want. Let me know if you want to buy them. I can do a loaded pickguard if you like.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Seems a bit drastic, to me. Necks are expensive, and finding a real Fender neck isn't all that easy. It might be cheaper to trade in your guitar for a used MIM Strat HSS with an all maple neck. Then do all the Mods to take that one where you want to go.

Yes, it's drastic, but I don't really care. I have money to spend on this, and I don't want a real fender neck. Fender doesn't make a 24.75" conversion neck with abalone dots in a AAA birdseye maple with a fatback contour. Warmoth does, though
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by xgregoryx
mighty mite neck. try get one off ebay and save some cash.
they are just as good as a the real thing

Please read my posts. Mighty Mite does not make a neck that meets my needs.
Quote by Roc8995

Yes, I'm going to get rid of them. They're nice, but they don't have the vintage vibe in the 3 and 4 position that I want. Let me know if you want to buy them. I can do a loaded pickguard if you like.

I've just got some sensors in my MIM strat and absolutely love it. I was just schocked that someone would not like them
so you've got a 25.5" scale length guitar and your gonna put a 24.25" scale length neck on to it. unless I'm mistaken it'll sound ****e. apart from your open notes the rest wont line yup correctly.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
so you've got a 25.5" scale length guitar and your gonna put a 24.25" scale length neck on to it. unless I'm mistaken it'll sound ****e. apart from your open notes the rest wont line yup correctly.

they make conversion necks from a 25.5 scale to a 24.75 that work and intonate well and sound really good.
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147
Quote by Oudy
they make conversion necks from a 25.5 scale to a 24.75 that work and intonate well and sound really good.

i still can't see how it's gonna work. your 100% sure it'll work coz if it don't that's a waste of money. personally you should stick with the scale length the guitar has already.

and I've hoped you've read the FAQs on the necks.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at Apr 29, 2008,
Conversion necks work regardless of your ability to understand that they do.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Note that he is shortening the scale which will change both the feel and the sound A LOT so although it is a bit drastic, I could understand why somebody might do it.

TS, A couple notes for you. 1st, Pink and purple don't go together. It's one of those things guys learn when they get married to very girly girls. Just trust me on this, you don't want pink. You also don't want a shade of purple unless you can be sure the purple will match. Green, orange, silver, and black would work. A nickel cover over the bridge and 2 chrome covers over the singles would look awsome!.

As far as which pickups to use... 50's style single coil pickups used alnico 5 magnets and 42awg formvar wire. How hot they were depended on the year you were going for. The famouse 59' pickups were a cool 5.8K give or take about .2K. They also need to be hand wound otherwise they won't sound right. If you get them from the right pickup winder you should be albe to get them for less than the crappy fender reissue pickups. Wherever you get them from, make sure you get formvar wire, wound to around 5.8K, forbon bobbins, and hand wound. That is very important.
Not taking any online orders.
I played around in Kisekae a bit more and you guys are right- pink looks awful with purple. The plain black bobbins look pretty slick with it, I'll just stick to that.

Corduroy: Just the man I was looking for! I was going to ask you about underwinding pickups. I really like the clarity of a slightly underwound pickup (~5.6K), but they lose some warmth and depth. Is there any way to keep that warmth with an underwound pickup? In my head it would make sense to wind it normally (5.7K) and then degauss the magnet- might that work?

Regarding the neck change: I've played gibson necks forever, and I really have trouble playing a fender neck because I don't look at the frets all the time and my fingers only "remember" the shorter scale. I know it will change the tone, but it's something I've taken into account.
Quote by Roc8995

Corduroy: Just the man I was looking for! I was going to ask you about underwinding pickups. I really like the clarity of a slightly underwound pickup (~5.6K), but they lose some warmth and depth. Is there any way to keep that warmth with an underwound pickup? In my head it would make sense to wind it normally (5.7K) and then degauss the magnet- might that work?

There are a few things you can do. I like to use shellac potting to warm up a pickups tone without sacraficing clarity. Also, wire type changes things. I think thats part of the magic of formvar wire. It's bright with scooped mids which gives you a very clear chimy tone. Formvar also has a loose bass which makes it warm (as long as it's not in the bridge) and it makes it smooth. Poly wire has a tendency to have a bit of warmth but it is lacking in clarity. Plane enamel wire has the clarity but no warmth. So you can wind a formvar pickup to 6.0K or even 6.2K and it's sound very clear and warm. For poly to have the same kind of clarity as formvar you would have to wind it to around 5.6K but it would be slightly lacking in warmth. For PE to have the clarity of formvar you are looking at winding to around 5.8 but PE is very dry sounding so it's hard to get warmth.

One thing you can do to make Poly or PE warmer is to make the bobbin shorter. Typically there is a 1/2" gap in the bobbins to wind the wire on. If you shorten that to 15/32" that'll make it a bit warmer. It'll also lower your output. Another thing you could do is wrap copper tape all the way aroud the coil. Solder the break in the tape together to compleat the ring, and then solder that to the ground wire on your pickup. Not only will that shield your pickup from hum, but it'll warm it up. Finally, You were also on the right track when you asked about degaussing magnets. Degaussing magnets is a great way to warm them up. Typically a modern alnico V can hold a gauss of about 1,200. Vintage alnico V held a gauss of about 800. I read somewhere that alnico V has half life of 100 years. If this is true it means that after 50 years the gauss is lowered by 25%. So the vintage alnico that sounds so warm on guitars today would only have a gause of around 600 (give or take). So yeah... Less magnatisem will warm it up and make you sound more vintage.
Not taking any online orders.
if your swapping out things i assume you'll be selling some of the old parts... contact me about that i really need the tuners, pickups, neck etc... if your selling
I'll let you know when I take it apart.
Does anyone know what size steel wool I'd need to dull the paint on the body?