So, I'm a long time lurker from "Gear Building & Customizing" forum, though I never did anything. Time to start now

Inspired by this guitar (link here) and this guy idea (link here) I thought it would be very worth it to make it!
Since I just use this pedal (a behringer - the only one that I have) and only have one guitar (a behringer V-tone (strat copy)) it would be very cool to have "imediat" acess to the controls of the pedal.

I practicaly don't know anything about electronics, so a little help would be nice
I was thinking about routing in the back of the guitar, and place the "chip" there, and drilling the 6 holes for the controls, plus one to sitch on/off the pedal. (controls and switch to be in the front of the guitar, see pics below).

The result would be something like this: (only the dots and the small square would be visible)

Now a couple of questions: how do I do the connections with the INPUT/OUTPUT of the pedal and the jack? any sugestions to give to this circuit-noob?

Thanks
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Last edited by Bleeding_me at Apr 27, 2008,
I don't think it's worth the work for JUST distortion. If you install a MIDI controller then you're on to something.
To attach it, you'd probably just have to find the ground/lead from the input and output and place it somewhere between your other electronics in the guitar
i wouldnt say its worth it for just distortion. and, you'd be losing some tone by routing all of that out but yes, i'd say it is possible
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Quote by pwrmax
I don't think it's worth the work for JUST distortion. If you install a MIDI controller then you're on to something.

I only have this gear, I'm an amateur guitarist, and I know that I will always be an amateur, so I don't want to spend a lot of money with music...

Quote by RPGoof
To attach it, you'd probably just have to find the ground/lead from the input and output and place it somewhere between your other electronics in the guitar

Will I have to solder it?

Quote by AUSTINZOR
i wouldnt say its worth it for just distortion. and, you'd be losing some tone by routing all of that out but yes, i'd say it is possible

hum... didn't thought about the tone. would it be a BIG difference?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Dunno man...IMO guitar should stay as guitar, amp as amp, and pedal should stay at its place too.... I don't think u will be able to mount good DS pedal in guitar, so u ll not affect sound and quality and it will sound awesome. But thats my opinion. And about utube video... fuzz sounds horrible...nasty sh1t Unless u have some spare/cheap guitar and u want to experiment, go for it. If this sh1t was good, i think manufacturers would do something with another comanies to install on board
Lazer LG-180A
Dean Razorback V 255 @ 18v MOD
Bugera 6262-212
ATH-M50
Vox amPlug Metal
Boss TU-80
Boss ML-2
RZBK V 255 build <5%, ideas>
OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #2
BUGERA USERS MILITIA...One of the first owners...
Quote by EARNEST
Dunno man...IMO guitar should stay as guitar, amp as amp, and pedal should stay at its place too.... I don't think u will be able to mount good DS pedal in guitar, so u ll not affect sound and quality and it will sound awesome. But thats my opinion. And about utube video... fuzz sounds horrible...nasty sh1t Unless u have some spare/cheap guitar and u want to experiment, go for it. If this sh1t was good, i think manufacturers would do something with another comanies to install on board

I think manufacturers just dont't do this because it's a very personal thing, you never know witch pedal(s) and guitar does the client want...
Maybe that idea of buying a shltty guitar to try it out would be bad at all...
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

um, im real amature at electric guitars, so i may be wrong, but...

with any pedal you have to either put 2 9-volts or the power plug in. so wouldnt you also need to solder a connection from the battery clip, and route it to the back of the guitar, to a place where you could easily access it?

and it seems real expensive, but awesome if you could pull it off. I prefer pedals where you can adjust the degree of the effect (weird word choice, makes sense?), so it would be great.

but yea, id be worried about drilling so much in your instrument.
Quote by Skar578
um, im real amature at electric guitars, so i may be wrong, but...

with any pedal you have to either put 2 9-volts or the power plug in. so wouldnt you also need to solder a connection from the battery clip, and route it to the back of the guitar, to a place where you could easily access it?

and it seems real expensive, but awesome if you could pull it off. I prefer pedals where you can adjust the degree of the effect (weird word choice, makes sense?), so it would be great.

but yea, id be worried about drilling so much in your instrument.

the pedal itself has a place for the battery (there's one in the first pic), so it cavity for the pedal would be the same for the battery I think...
Yeah, I've got to drill a big area, and as this is my first and only guitar, maybe I'll buy a crappy one so I can costumize it and try this out
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

To be honest there should already be enough room in the control cavity for the pedal's circuit. Then you'd only have to drill into the pickguard to mount the controls. The battery should just about fit in the trem cavity.

I'd think VERY hard before doing this, like you said, it's your only guitar...you don't want to screw it up on a whim.

Hate to be brutal, but as far as buying a crappy guitar for customizing I doubt you could find a much crappier guitar than the one you already have. Chances are that anything you bought would actually be better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
its a cheap guitar and a cheap effect unit. you might end up with something matt bellamy would be proud of...

like steven seagull said, you will probably fit the parts in the cavity thats already there. you will need to drill the pick guard to place the pots and switches but even if you wreck it a new pick guard will cost only a few pounds to replace. you will have to solder the wires in but there arent many really... 2 on the input side and 2 on the output side... and it will wire at the last point inside before the jack plate output. with a bit of thought it should be easy as pie.

i say GO FOR IT
Thank you please.
Last edited by deadlydunc at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by RPGoof

that's what you do.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by steven seagull
To be honest there should already be enough room in the control cavity for the pedal's circuit. Then you'd only have to drill into the pickguard to mount the controls. The battery should just about fit in the trem cavity.

I'd think VERY hard before doing this, like you said, it's your only guitar...you don't want to screw it up on a whim.

Hate to be brutal, but as far as buying a crappy guitar for customizing I doubt you could find a much crappier guitar than the one you already have. Chances are that anything you bought would actually be better.

Hum, yeah, maybe it will fit in the control cavity, I'll try that out and say if it did
Yeah, I asked for help because I'm kinda noob in costumizing and I don't want to screw up my guitar. (although it's really crappy, like you said - and it really is, I know - it's my first guitar, and that is priceless as you all know )
Thanks for the advice

Quote by deadlydunc
its a cheap guitar and a cheap effect unit. you might end up with something matt bellamy would be proud of...

like steven seagull said, you will probably fit the parts in the cavity thats already there. you will need to drill the pick guard to place the pots and switches but even if you wreck it a new pick guard will cost only a few pounds to replace. you will have to solder the wires in but there arent many really... 2 on the input side and 2 on the output side... and it will wire at the last point inside before the jack plate output. with a bit of thought it should be easy as pie.

i say GO FOR IT

Yes, in the worst case a new pickguard won't be much... Thanks for the advice as well
I'll give some news soon!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Strip as much of the original pedal off as you can so you only have the PCB and wires left then you can make the hole smaller.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
i think it would be cool if you set it up with a covert so that you could put ANY petal in there whenever you want
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
Update!
So, I took up the pickguard and saw that there is no space in the cavity for the "chip" of the pedal... I also noticed that in the pedal screws there's a red "thing" in it (looks like solder), and I don't know what th hell is that (you can see a bit of it in the first post pics), would it be dangerous to remove the screws? (I hadn't removed it yet).

Thanks
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew