But I'm forking clueless when it comes to them.

Preferably less than $100 CDN. Right now I'm using a $3 mic from Wal Mart. I just need it to record ideas for songs and what not, but I'd really like something that doesn't compromise my tone in anyway.

So, name some, please?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
sm57

/thread
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
You won't get a new 57 for $100, but used is realistic.

Otherwise.... the Behringer dynamic mics apparently offer good bang for a really cheap buck.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
sm57 is $100 on musicians friend, but around 120 retail. its the most widely used cheap dynamic mic and works for anything pretty well. sm58 is that same with a ball windscreen that helps for singing and its 10$ more.
I'd have to say it depends on what you're doing. The SM57 IS very very good, but you need to make sure you don't need a condenser, for stuff like overhead drums etc etc.

Still gotta recommend the SM57.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
How are you recording? If you're plugging into your PC sound card, then it's not worth investing in an SM57. If you have a nice recorder or interface then yes go for it. It's good mic.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic