I'm not sure where to post this, but I'll try it here lol.

My school is in full support of my band because we play at dances and stuff and make them tons of money, anyway..

The choir has a ton of epic gear that they use to send demos to colleges and stuff and they let us use it whenever. I was wondering how I could record a rock band setup with this stuff instead of just voice/piano.

Theres a big box with a Mackie 1642-VLZ3 Premium 16 Channel/4 bus compact mixer,

(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-1642VLZ3-Compact-Mixer-120V-?sku=630134)

and under the rack it has like some kind of cd recorder, they record the demos to dvd-r's I believe? so..

We also have a bunch of Shure SM57's, Audia Technica AT3035 Cardioid condensers, a 7 piece drum mic pack and some regular microphones.

---

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could use the stuff to record a band?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
plug it in...

EDIT: but seriously, you have enough channels to plug all those mics in, and then you will need a program to record with if doing it through a computer,

sometimes, it may be easier to record one thing at a time, like the Bass guitar first, then drums, or vice versa, then guitars then vocals....
Helps tons thanks;

since this dude is going to be blunt I'll say what I would have thought you do,

Would we record each player separately to 5 disks, then upload them into some kind of mixing program on a computer and mix them to one master mix, and then put that on the final cd?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by Lastin
plug it in...

EDIT: but seriously, you have enough channels to plug all those mics in, and then you will need a program to record with if doing it through a computer,

sometimes, it may be easier to record one thing at a time, like the Bass guitar first, then drums, or vice versa, then guitars then vocals....

Hey you wally? How about some practical advice?

I suggest you press record AND play as opposed to just record. It took me ages to figure out.
hm.

I can't really help you with hooking it up, but once you do it acquire a program like Cakewalk or something similar, you may need a USB mixer as well, and use that to record. I've always recorded in this order: Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar, Vocals. Once you do that it's all mixing.
Set up your equipment i.e. Vocal mics, Guitars and Bass. Mic up the drums with the drum mic kit. Plug it all into the mixer. Do a sound check to get all the levels right. Record your songs and then burn them to CD (or DVD-R in your case.) If you mean how do you get a decent sound then I'd suggest borrowing the Orchestra's sound engineer.

In terms of recording you could record it 'live' as in all instruments together or record the drums and bass. then each guitar seperately. Rhythm first, then do the leads on seperate channels. Then the vocals. I'm assuming the studio already has a PC with some sort of audio recording program as they make demos for the Orchestra.

It is really as simple as "Plug in, press record, play then burn." As long as you've set up all the mics. You can mess with the EQ and post-mix effects once you've recorded everything.
We wouldn't use a studio or anything. We'd just bring the rack with the recording stuff into my drummers jam room and do it. I was thinking

We'd mic the bass and have him do the song, and then have drums, then guitars, then vocals, that would come with 5 cd's each with the parts on them. Then open them all in Audacity and EQ and mix them all together, would this work?

anyone?

That could work but it sounds like you're doing it the hard way. If you're gonna use the 16 track mixer then you could record straight into Audacity. You just need to plug the mixer into your PC. You can then record each part seperately. I'd do drums first as the bass, guitars and vocals can all follow the drums.

I'm just wondering why you aren't doing it at your school as they have a decent setup already?
It would be easier to move the rack to my drummers house then haul our rig to our school.

They don't record to computers, they record it to a cd.

So Idk how to hook the thing up to my pc.

Also what does the school use to record themselves onto before they burn the DVD-R? They must have a more professional recording program than Audacity surely?
I don't think they need to eq, or alter the vocalists voice because they're sending it into colleges or something. So they just record it to the CD and when it's done they mail it.

They might, I'm really not sure, I just know they don't use any computers. It records to the CD or DVD burner machine under the mounted mixer.

Well if they don't use a PC program to record then you'll have to record 'live' (all at once) onto a DVD like the Orchestra does. Alternatively you could record each part seperately into Audacity. To do that you'll have to plug the mixer into your PC. I'm sure the mixer will have the appropriate leads with it already. You can tweak the EQ levels on the mixer to get your required sounds. You then record each part onto seperate tracks. That's as much as I can tell you without seeing the equipment infront of me.
ah alright. thanks

Well my band peronally do record it all at once, Howevere we do use DI Boxes and the drummer is in a seperate room with a glass front and headphones. Were alot mroe tight that way and gives more of a "Live" and "Free" feel to the track
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I'm not an expert at this stuff so I can't say anymore than I have. It might be worth trying to get a copy of Cubase, Cakewalk or Adobe Audition as they are more professional than Audacity. If the mixer comes with a 16 channel/track leads then you should be able to plug in all your instruments into the mixer, plug the mixer into your PC and then record at the same time but with each instrument recording to its own individual track like in a proper studio. At least that's what I assume. Could you not get hold of the instruction manuals for the equipment?
well check out that link in the first post, thats the mixer..

Alright thanks dudes, Godbless.