Ok, so i will be buying my first guitar soon but i am not looking for a crappy begineer guitar since i have been playing for around 5 months at a friends house and am starting to get pretty good.

I'm looking for a guitar under $500 and I know that i should just go to the guitar store to play each one but i am bored so what the heck.

I mainly listen to 80s metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden) and a little Led Zeppelin type music.

The epiphone les paul standard looks pretty good but for some reason it gets bad review.

And i am looking for this guitar to last me 3-4 years of good play.

Anyone have any suggestions?
jackson kelly
a schecter from the Diamond Series
maybe an ESP?
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
epiphone les paul standard is pretty nice IMO and they could fit your styles

but be sure to check VM series squiers
they are really great guitars for the price and better than fender MIMs IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Look at a used guitar that would usually cost more, also, check out the B-stocks and closeouts from sites like musiciansfriend, music123, zzounds, etc... go and play the guitars you want in the store and see if you like them, then try and find them online, many times you can find a 600-800 dollar guitar that are pretty much brand new aside from a nick or scratch on the body for around $500 or less if you really search hard
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
id say a ibanez RG4EXQM1 or RG5EX1 to go to a local guitar shop and try some guitars out
ESP viper-400 is good but there cheaper guitars not to good
epiphone les pauls are great if you replace the pickup with a seymour duncan JB. Its too bad, i just had one and i sold it, great for metallica, maiden and zeppelin.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
The Ibanez RG2EX1 or RG5EX1 are good guitars for hard rock/metal that are both under $500
this ESP LTD EC-100QM is pretty cool, i tried it out at a music store, would be an AWESOME guitar for a beginner. Also, metallica uses ESPs, but Maiden uses Fenders, still just trying to help.
O O

___
ESP M200FM. The new model has a better tremolo, and the neck feels AWESOME. i bought mine 2-3 yrs ago and still play's sick.
Proud JEM owner.
If you plan on playing 80's metal, don't get the Epiphone. Especially if you're playing solos.
A better option would be an ESP LTD Ec series guitar, or if you like Kirk Hammetts look, an M series guitar.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by bWsWwrestler
if your going to get a epiphone get a agile instead

why?
you are probably not going to get an amazing guitar for 500 but you can definatly get a good guitar .
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
I have tried this bad boy (The rhythm guitarist in my band has one).
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-DB-Electric-Guitar?sku=514870

My bass player owns one of these, and it's a great axe
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518454

This is a great guitar. And it's a Jackson, so you know you will get amazing metal sound for less coin.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JVX10-X-King-V?sku=512235
Last edited by Beebaboo at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by mafropetee
A Fender Standard HSS Strat would be a great choice. Very versatile.

i wouldnt, it only has 21 frets which isnt good for many metallica solos, also the humbucker is quite weak, i guess itd be ok if you put a JB in it or something.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
yea check out the agile's rondomusic.com
check out the reviews of them at harmony-central
theres even a whole forum dedicated to agiles
don't them out
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Two of my buddies who are both Maiden freaks recently picked up Jackson Flying Vs for around $500 taxes in. Jackson's are pure metal guitars.

ESPs are pretty good for metal too.

You could look at an Epi Zak Wilde LP. They sport some pretty hot pick ups.

Or Maybe a Dean?
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
id say an esp v
either the alexi or v-200
the necks are some of the best cept they arent set necks
ya go to agileguitarforum.com and you will learn everything that you will ever need to know about them
You should get an ibanez sz720. It is on sale for 400 on musicians friend. I just got one. I love it, plus you'll have 100 to spend on other stuff like a pet wallabee, or a ficus.
i vote for the Schecter Gryphon:
it's gorgeous, sounds great, and is really versatile due to the coil taps plus the neck is shaped amazingly- not to thin and not a baseball bat

that or an agile... but hurry because the owner of rondomusic has been saying that there will be a price hike once this stock runs out