Hi everyone

I'm after some input on Dean guitars - the US made ones, not the korean versions. I'm in the market for a new axe and thought I'd all but settled on a Gibson Les paul custom but I keep seeing a razorback flashing in my head. Two completely different guitars I know, but.......

Funny thing is, Dean's wood is not cut from a single piece is it? I've also been reading up on them (Dean) and the general perception is not good. US$5-6K is a fair bit to spend on a new guitar so eveyone's input would be much appreciated.

Cheers
AJ
I've heard good things about Dean guitars but people tend to either love or hate them; play one and see if you like it first.

Also I've consistently heard that Razorbacks are overpriced because of the Dimebag name so be careful.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In my honest (and rather humble) opinion, the Razorbacks are overpriced guitars for Dimebag fanboys
The thing is I'm not a fanboy at all....just liked the look and sound of it - on reflection I can most surely can the same (or better) sound out of a les paul or flying V, no?
Quote by deep_sea
The thing is I'm not a fanboy at all....just liked the look and sound of it - on reflection I can most surely can the same (or better) sound out of a les paul or flying V, no?

Probably, yes; the only thing that really defines a Razorback in tone is the pickups and the large mahogany body, as long as you use the same amp and pickups you can get teh same tone out of a Les Paul.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
it is not one piece its two and i had to return my dean because the glue that bonds the two pieces deteriorated. now i'm not trashing the company, because i would buy another one but i think i would stay away from the ml's and go with the V
This is off topic, but I could have swore I read this same exact topic before, a long time ago. Wow...
Never played their electric guitars, but I know there basses are pretty meh. Surprisingly enough, I tried a dean acoustic once and it was incredible.
I'm more and more leaning a w a y from the Dean. You very rarely (if ever) hear a bad thing about Gibsons - which offer a lifetime warranty so I think y'all have answered my question.

Thanks everyone.
Quote by deep_sea
I'm more and more leaning a w a y from the Dean. You very rarely (if ever) hear a bad thing about Gibsons - which offer a lifetime warranty so I think y'all have answered my question.

Thanks everyone.

Apart from that apparently in recent years the QC has gone down the drain and you're paying 30% of the price for the lettering on the headstock. Look around more, don't just go for big brand names, look for a local luthier; you might be surprised about the prices they can offer.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
thanks Zaphod....will do. We don't have many luthiers here down under (Sydney) but have you heard of Maton? They are doing some electrics at the moment - I don't particularly like the feel of them though. They've got a slightly "cheap" feel.....
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Apart from that apparently in recent years the QC has gone down the drain and you're paying 30% of the price for the lettering on the headstock.

It's pretty sad that this is the case. Time was you could buy a Fender or a Gibson and be practically guaranteed you were getting a top notch, ready to rip product. Not so now.

The pitfalls of the "label" have increased ten-fold. The name on the product is no longer (or rarely) a true guarantee of greatness. It's no wonder older models command such high prices these days.