http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/#virgin

Dunno if you guys have heard about any of this. But Virgin is beginning to start filtering web pages and deliberately block and limit access to material which do not have partnership deals with them.

Info :

Virgin has been trying to calm the internet revolt against them for saying they would limit users' internet access for commercial ends, stating "We're not suggesting there will be any denial of access to those who don't want to pay." and then going on to confirm their previous anti-net neutrality statement: "VM could offer content providers deals to upgrade their provisioning if they want to ensure best access to to broadband subscribers.". They did not comment on their earlier statements about putting non-premium content providers on their slower "bus lanes"

Any thoughts or ideas? The internet has a very bleak future when ISPs slowly jump on the bandwagon..
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
give me a link to an existing thread then. And yes it is true.
Gear

It's all I need.

its not true

im with Virgin and i havent experienced this at all
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
It is true. It's a facist police state. They

they are sneaking laws in to spy on all out comunications every email... everything. A big brother stateis here and NOBODY is reporting it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/21/nspy221.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/21/nspy121.xml

It's happening.

EDIT : Just because your not seeing any effects of it right now, doesn't mean it's not happening. It is happening, you'll see it sooner or later.
Gear

It's all I need.

dude, im with Virgin

i dont know what sites YOU go on...but all the ones i go on are fine
Just because your not seeing any effects of it right now, doesn't mean it's not happening. It is happening, you'll see it sooner or later.
Gear

It's all I need.

Quote by SamTotman
Just because your not seeing any effects of it right now, doesn't mean it's not happening. It is happening, you'll see it sooner or later.

Erm no...Virging Media are not...i am a customer of theirs and i know

Also, they cannot access what we D/L and cannot moniter enough people...

It is not true

Do not feed the troll People
Net neutrality is a pretty brilliant business concept.

IMO, the company should be able to control what services they provide. If you choose another provider, that's your prerogative.

-SD
Quote by *Juno*
Erm no...Virging Media are not...i am a customer of theirs and i know

Also, they cannot access what we D/L and cannot moniter enough people...

It is not true

Do not feed the troll People

I'm also a customer of virgin (not for much longer) and I know what they are upto.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a93556/virgin-media-ceo-attacks-net-neutrality.html
http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2008/04/15/Virgin-Media-CEO-Wants-End-To-Net-Neutrality/p1
http://www.out-law.com/page-9049

Honestly, how many links do you need thrown at you before you begin to even start reading them. It's happening, do your research.
Gear

It's all I need.

if its happening
whys it not happening to me

what sites do you go on that are affected

I told you, there are little to no effects as of yet, but it is happening.
Gear

It's all I need.

Quote by Rocking-Rob
so? use another ISP

When other ISPs see how much profit will be generated by Virgin's actions, most other ISPs will jump on the bandwagon. It's time to campaign against them to stop this from happening!
Gear

It's all I need.

Quote by SamTotman

I told you, there are little to no effects as of yet, but it is happening.

Well, THAT makes sense....
Everything is based on something the CEO said which was taken completely out of context. It's not happening...
Quote by maggot9779
Well, THAT makes sense....

I can imagine soon you'll be lucky to access even UG and use it as the speed you currently do.
Gear

It's all I need.

Quote by SamTotman

I can imagine soon you'll be lucky to access even UG and use it as the speed you currently do.

Correction, "I can imagine soon i'll be lucky to access even UG and use it as the speed I currently do."

I'm not on Virgin Media, I couldn't give 2 shits what happens to them.
Quote by maggot9779
Correction, "I can imagine soon i'll be lucky to access even UG and use it as the speed I currently do."

I'm not on Virgin Media, I couldn't give 2 shits what happens to them.

I was right the first time. I told you, once every other ISP notices how much profit Virgin are making, they will jump on the bandwagon.
Gear

It's all I need.

just stop posting here before mistress_ibanez sees this
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by SamTotman

Actually, if I paid any attention in my networking class, it'll be slow the first time and relatively normal for constant use. I think they'd be slowing DNS server queries, not affecting the actual throughput of your connection. And since machines cache DNS information, your computer will look for the connection IP in a more local location than the ISP's servers.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Actually, if I paid any attention in my networking class, it'll be slow the first time and relatively normal for constant use. I think they'd be slowing DNS server queries, not affecting the actual throughput of your connection. And since machines cache DNS information, your computer will look for the connection IP in a more local location than the ISP's servers.

-SD

That kind of cache is cleared out.
Gear

It's all I need.

Quote by SamTotman
When other ISPs see how much profit will be generated by Virgin's actions, most other ISPs will jump on the bandwagon. It's time to campaign against them to stop this from happening!

when most ISP's see virgin media loose a large amount of their customer base then they won't follow

What do websites have to gain from paying virgin media? If the sites are good enough people would visit them regardless of limited bandwith.
Well, if it is as bad as you say then it sounds like a ****ty business desicion. People will leave them and go elsewhere. Like I said, i'm not concerned in the slightest, if Richard Branson wants to turn off his customers then i'll let him do it.
Quote by SilentDeftone
lol, I doubt your ISP is going to clear your IP cache on your own computer.

-SD

Indeed.
Breach of privacy that'd be I think?
Quote by Oli_88
Indeed.
Breach of privacy that'd be I think?

Erm, I'd say I don't think they even could on many systems without having you install certain software.

-SD
Your computer pings the website to see if there is a newer version that what is already cached. If there isn't then it is loaded from your PC's cache, if there is it will download the page again.

This is why there is an uproar about Net Neutrality. I am not saying it is happening or not, but in theory, every ISP can pull this crap and people would be **** out of luck.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Quote by puffycow
Your computer pings the website to see if there is a newer version that what is already cached. If there isn't then it is loaded from your PC's cache, if there is it will download the page again.

So? How does that have anything to do with the ISP or throughput of your connection?

-SD
We need to get the media laid.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
I heard about it but, as far as i know, i don't think its going to go ahead, and that it wasn't true in the slightest. Plus, I doubt the CEO would say anything is "bollocks" in an interview.
The only reason they may be having second thoughts is because so many people are spreading this news and making a big deal out of it. The more people are reached, the better, and safer place the net becomes. Flamers : think again but shouting out mindless nonsense. (in particular those on the first page)
Gear

It's all I need.

Quote by hazardmaster
We need to get the media laid.

haha

I don't like the idea of my ISP controlling what sites I can and cannot go on. But I'm in the U.S. so I don't know, hopefully Verizon doesn't adapt this tactic.
People need to calm down about this, seriously man, when has limiting anything ever worked as far as the internet is concerned?

Anyone remember monthly download limits? Lasted ages didn't they.

It's a competative business, if one company does something stupid to make money a few others will follow, then somebody else will come along and revert back to the old way, taking customers from the others, it's just the way it works
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by *Juno*
Seriously, just **** off..

You havent a clue what your talking about and they ARE NOT GOING TO DO THIS

/Thread

ignorant poster is ignorant
That video contains many things that are just outright lies.

Also the last thread on this got closed due to a flamefest as people can't accept that me working for virgin media does not make me the devil.

*reported*