So what are some good les pauls? Ill never be able to afford a gibson. I was thinking epiphone.

Standard Plain Top

Classic quilt top

standard plus top

What are the major differences between those besides the finish? Judging by the info on musiciansfriend i guess the plus top has a solid body?

Are there any other les pauls that are pretty decent, around $500 or so. I really like the transparent amber color :/
the maple top of the standards is a different maple. . you could get a used LP custom for like 450 that has awesome finishes. if you just want one of these 3 i'd go with the classic quilt top. but, i got a gibson les paul studio with a hardshell case for 635 dollars used, that was in awesome condition, you could save up the extra 100 dollarsa for a crazy good guitar.
Quote by bboyjon
So what are some good les pauls? Ill never be able to afford a gibson. I was thinking epiphone.

Standard Plain Top

Classic quilt top

standard plus top

What are the major differences between those besides the finish? Judging by the info on musiciansfriend i guess the plus top has a solid body?

Are there any other les pauls that are pretty decent, around $500 or so. I really like the transparent amber color :/

around $500? well it won't be a gibson, it'll have to be an epiphone. and if you are willing to get something that isn't a les paul, but has a similar shape and build, i'm sure there are plenty of people here that will probably recomment esp's, agiles, etc. etc.

the biggest difference between the three u listed, is the finish mainly. i also think that the quilt top is a bit lighter than the other two, and has open coil humbuckers.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
ESP LTD EC series, A lot better than the Epiphones is you ask me.
i played a few Epi Les Pauls today, a Standard, a Custom and a Studio

really liked the Standard and Custom. their fit and finish looked no worse than the Gibson SG Standard that i had but the Studio was pewish , just not as nice but theyre cheaper for a reason

that classic with the quilt top looks NICE!, id probably get that but the shop that i visited today didnt have any

it even says "Ships with pickguard unattached for pristine finish option "

YUM, that would be sweet, if you get the Amber, you gotta post pics, id probably get that amber too

hell, if you buy any of those, post pics
Last edited by nauc at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Colgate Total
The Agile AL series.

Not to sound creepy or anything but boy do i love you I didnt know about agile

Is there any websites (like musiciansfriend) that sell agile guitars?

I only found www.rondomusic.net
Quote by LD_Luke D
the maple top of the standards is a different maple.

the maple top on epiphones is not even worth it to be called 'wood'. Its veneer. So in that case, how the hell can it be 'different maple'?

@ TS: There is absolutely no difference between those guitars except for the finish.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
what are your thoughts on the AL-3000?

Also, is there any other place besides rondo that sells agiles?
Get an Epi Custom. Pay a few bucks to have it professionally set up. You wont regret it.
Quote by psychokiller99
around $500? well it won't be a gibson, it'll have to be an epiphone. and if you are willing to get something that isn't a les paul, but has a similar shape and build, i'm sure there are plenty of people here that will probably recomment esp's, agiles, etc. etc.

the biggest difference between the three u listed, is the finish mainly. i also think that the quilt top is a bit lighter than the other two, and has open coil humbuckers.

No **** sherlock
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
after a year of debate, i finally bought a epi lp standard plus top. its built like a tank, the finish is next to perfect, and it came setup right out of the box. intonation was on, and the action was just right. to me, the sound is like no other. i like the original best. stick with gibson, or epi. i wouldnt wander into those other brands unless theirs is original. thats just my opinion!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
agiles do have good reviews though :/

im really leaning towards the agiles
If your looking at spending around $650, check out the ESP LTD EC400 if you can. It comes in Tobacco Sunburst. I own a few Les Paul styled guitars (Epiphone Silverburst, ESP Eclipse II, LTD EC-1000) and I might be picking this one up too. Comes with a JB & 59. Great reviews from Musicians friend http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884

But if your spending up to $1500, look at an EclipseII or EC-1000 (~$900).
Eclipse: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Standard-Series-Eclipse-II?sku=516653
EC-1000: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629
Consider Tursers.
They are cheaper than Epis, but are fairly high build quality.
I actually play mine more than my Epiphone LP now.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Lawsuit guitars=Good les paul copy IMO. I just bought a cherryburst custom yesterday, and ****ing LOVE IT. Only problem is the vast majority (including mine) are bolt on, but I just took the neck plate off and re screwed the bolts. looks about 10% better. Here are a few links (All eBay):

Black beauty No. 1
http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Paul-lawsuit-copy-MIJ-Matsumoko-HSC_W0QQitemZ250241349333QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Black Beauty No. 2
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-hondo-II-lawsuit-LP-copy-plays-sounds-awesome_W0QQitemZ140228985267QQihZ004QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cherrybust Custom
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ASPEN-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-LAWSUIT-ERA-1970S_W0QQitemZ220229271034QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
DIO FOREVER
Quote by psychokiller99

actually the quilt tops are heavy!! heavier than even my epiphone custom they all have beautiful finishes and the sustain and tone really is nice on these...if u swap the pickups later in time you'll defiantly be one happy camper.Like today i am having my epiphone custom get a pickup swap with gibson burstbuckers pro..you can't go wrong with these pickups.