Hey guys. I'm looking for a new guitar this summer, and I've stumbled upon an instrument that has really stricken my fancy (and yes I'm getting a new amp first so don't say I need a new amp!). It's the Edwards Pink Sawtooth, shown here.

(BTW, no "Alexi sucks" comments. The last thing I'd be getting this for was his name.)

It's got everything I want. OFR, EMG passive pup (But it has a boost switch to make it active), nice tuners, RR shape. This is exactly what I've been looking for! Right now I'm seriously debating between this and the Jackson RR24. Basically it's a cosmetics war, only real difference is the cutaway and gain booster (for me the gain booster is a def +1).

But it's an Edwards, which is I guess something like the LTD of Japan (or so I've heard). I've read here that the quality is hardly different between the ESP and Edwards, but I figured rather than searching through a bunch of old topics for one post regarding Edwards, I'd try to amass the info into one topic, in order to examine opinions about the brand whilst being more organized.

So my question is, has anyone had any experience with the Edwards brand? I really like this guitar, but I don't want to get it if all the good things I've heard are just people blowing smoke. Plus I don't really have the $$$ to go ESP custom shop and get one. Maybe if I saved up for a few more f'n years... But that's another story.

Also, please don't start a flame war. I really want some honest opinions of people who have played the guitars what they're experiences are. If I got this it's basically going to have to come halfway around the world, so I really don't want to be disappointed.

Oh, P.S. the Jackson RR24 is made in Japan, correct? Or is it made in Korea?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm so sorry for mistaking what the boost switch does, dear god. The people who've responded politely, thank you, the others, GTFO.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 29, 2008,
I'd go for the Edwards model, but not the Pink Sawtooth. Just go for one of the other models, such as the Scythe or the black one with the white pinstripe and then just add a gain booster. It'll probably be cheaper than buying the Pink Sawtooth, which is quite a bit more money than the regular models. But keep in mind that with shipping and all, the RR24 would definitely be the more practical choice, and is not that far off the Edwards in terms of quality/features.

EDIT: The RR24 is made in Japan.

EDIT: As far as I know, the boost switch doesn't make the pickup active. It just makes it louder by 20db, but don't quote me on that. Plus, I think the new Alexi's for 2008 come with Seymour Duncan Blackouts that replace the passive EMG HZ.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by thedude051
I'd go for the Edwards model, but not the Pink Sawtooth. Just go for one of the other models, such as the Scythe or the black one with the white pinstripe and then just add a gain booster. It'll probably be cheaper than buying the Pink Sawtooth, which is quite a bit more money than the regular models. But keep in mind that with shipping and all, the RR24 would definitely be the more practical choice, and is not that far off the Edwards in terms of quality/features.

EDIT: The RR24 is made in Japan.

EDIT: As far as I know, the boost switch doesn't make the pickup active. It just makes it louder by 20db, but don't quote me on that. Plus, I think the new Alexi's for 2008 come with Seymour Duncan Blackouts that replace the passive EMG HZ.

Ah OK. I guess I didn't know the pink was more expensive. How much does the black/white pinstripe sawtooth usually run? I don't like predominantly white guitars, and the big yellow stripe on the other black one kinda looks... Well, ew. I suppose I could add a gain booster, or I could just switch the pup to a SD blackout, I haven't tried those yet but I've heard great things.

Thanks for the RR24 info. I thought it was, but to me a Korean guitar vs. a Japanese guitar is almost not even a choice, you can't go with the Korean one.

Hmm, I guess I may have misunderstood the boost switch then. Anyone care to elaborate? I'd read the sight, but it's relatively impossible, as I can only read English and some of Spanish.

BTW thanks for reporting the person who replied "alexi sux" lol
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 27, 2008,
First off, the gain booster does NOT make it active. Even with the gain booster, EMG passive pickups sound very dull and lifeless. Passive and EMG just shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Secondly, Edwards isn't the same as LTD in that LTD guitars are made in Korea and Indonesia, and Edwards are made in Japan. Some would argue that the quality of an Edwards is even better than that of ESP, but they definitely come damn close.

Third, there are much better choices as far as Edwards, such as the E-RV-148. It has better pickups, and two of them. It just doesn't have a fancy paintjob. The Jackson RR24 would also be a better choice, as it also has a better pickup.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
First off, the gain booster does NOT make it active. Even with the gain booster, EMG passive pickups sound very dull and lifeless. Passive and EMG just shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Secondly, Edwards isn't the same as LTD in that LTD guitars are made in Korea and Indonesia, and Edwards are made in Japan. Some would argue that the quality of an Edwards is even better than that of ESP, but they definitely come damn close.

Third, there are much better choices as far as Edwards, such as the E-RV-148. It has better pickups, and two of them. It just doesn't have a fancy paintjob. The Jackson RR24 would also be a better choice, as it also has a better pickup.

Thanks for explaining the Edwards placement thing. I don't really know about them, I've only heard tidbits on UG. The SV is something I've looked at, but I don't really ever use the neck pup, so it's kind of a waste for me. The gain booster I misunderstood, I read somewhere and I guess I thought it made it active, like I said before, I'd read the site, but I can't .

I do understand the RR24 is more practical, but guys, I'm really only trying to get info on the Edwards brand Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to have to decide between the two myself.
As far as quality goes, the Edwards brand is very nice. It's nearly always above even the LTD Deluxe series of guitars. So if you can't afford an actual ESP, they're your best bet.

When it comes between the Edwards AL and the Jackson RR, your personal taste seem to play a big factor, especially considering how similar they are. I've heard a lot of people advocate the RR24 religiously, but I know just as many people who after playing or owning one, saying that they're very overrated.

They're both alder body guitars, 3-piece maple necks, neck-thru, ebony fingerboards, 24 XJ frets, one bridge pickup, with an OFR.

I've never heard of anyone really complain about the Edwards, though. And not that CoB would necessarily play into your decision, but Alexi and Roope both really only ever played Custom Shop RR24's, which would be a huge difference anyway.

Personally, I suggest the Edwards. I like them better, and they're more unique.

As far as the Gain boost switch goes, it's exactly that. It certainly doesn't make anything active
Quote by edusty2010
Thanks for explaining the Edwards placement thing. I don't really know about them, I've only heard tidbits on UG. The SV is something I've looked at, but I don't really ever use the neck pup, so it's kind of a waste for me. The gain booster I misunderstood, I read somewhere and I guess I thought it made it active, like I said before, I'd read the site, but I can't .

I do understand the RR24 is more practical, but guys, I'm really only trying to get info on the Edwards brand Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to have to decide between the two myself.

Well, if you want more info on the Edwards brand, there is not much more to tell you. Basically, they are made in Japan., great quality, build materials, craftsmanship etc. In terms of getting more information on the Alexi signature guitars, all I can really say is that they should now come with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I am not sure why ESP has not updated their site, or if the Blackouts only come on the USA models and they have kept the EMG's for the Japanese market. A boost switch will do virtually nothing to help the EMG, so don't worry about whether the guitar has one or not. (hopefully it comes with the SD Blackout) The Edwards RV is a much better choice, and limiting yourself to one pickup may not be the best choice even though you don't use the other pickup.
Be cool.
Quote by Delanoir
As far as quality goes, the Edwards brand is very nice. It's nearly always above even the LTD Deluxe series of guitars. So if you can't afford an actual ESP, they're your best bet.

When it comes between the Edwards AL and the Jackson RR, your personal taste seem to play a big factor, especially considering how similar they are. I've heard a lot of people advocate the RR24 religiously, but I know just as many people who after playing or owning one, saying that they're very overrated.

They're both alder body guitars, 3-piece maple necks, neck-thru, ebony fingerboards, 24 XJ frets, one bridge pickup, with an OFR.

I've never heard of anyone really complain about the Edwards, though. And not that CoB would necessarily play into your decision, but Alexi and Roope both really only ever played Custom Shop RR24's, which would be a huge difference anyway.

Personally, I suggest the Edwards. I like them better, and they're more unique.

As far as the Gain boost switch goes, it's exactly that. It certainly doesn't make anything active

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's really going to come down to cosmetics. I have heard about the RR24 being overrated though. They are basically the same specs. I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about Edwards either, which may just be because no one has them or also it may be because they're just great guitars. I certainly don't know.

CoB doesn't really come into my decision. Although I do love them! LOL.

Yeah, I guess I was really confused on the gain boost, my bad guys! Thanks for clearing it up though. I could imagine myself buying a huge pack of 9v batteries and sitting there with the guitar going "WHERE THE **** DO I PUT THESE?!?!" lol

You guys just saved me a big pack of 9v batteries
edwards are really nice guitars, im looking to get a les paul from them this summer ( a laquer series w/ figured top ) , they seem to be on par with gibson guitars ( especially w/ all the weight releiving and such they are doing now ) and if you are looking for some reviews there are a ton on harmony-central
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Problem, this may just be someone trying to make $$$ on eBay, but idk. I serched eBay for prices, and I came up with two new pink sawtooths, one $1,500 and the other $1,600. So I'm looking around and I found a black one (supposed to be cheaper) but it was priced at $2,000!!! What gives? Even on the ESP site there's about a 40,000 yen difference.

And guys, I am aware of what having only one pickup will limit me. I've considered it. But it's not something I worry about, so please people, I understand where your coming from, but stop warning me about only having one pup. Depending on the $ I make over the summer and if my dad's willing to contribute to the buying of my guitar I MAY be able to keep my current guitar and throw some upgrades on it then just use that for cleans.

In short, thanks for caring I love you guys... In a very non-homosexual way... Well...

I kid.
Nobody else knows anything more about the Edwards brand? Right now I'm leaning towards the Black/White guitar if I can get the $ over the summer, then maybe put a Blackout or EMG 81 in it later. If I can't I think I'm going the RR24 route.

Or maybe, just maybe, would it be possible to turn that gain booster switch into something else without too much work? Like if I got it and switched the pup to a blackout, could I maybe make that a killswitch? How would I go about doing that and what do you guys think it'd cost?
Quote by Ippon
You're aware that the link you provided is for ESP Custom Order (as in Custom Shop), right? The model is 577,500 Japanese yen (including local tax) or ~ US $5,530.

I said the EDWARDS model not ESP. They start the fifth one down. It's about $1,600. The others are about $1200.
Switching the passive EMG in the Edwards might not be as easy as you think. Going from passive to active in a guitar takes some work, and isn't a simple switch. But I think you may not even really need real EMGs, as they're given way too much credit in metal. Passives let so much more of the guitar tone come through, and a lot of metal lead guitarists prefer them.

That said, I'd still generally prefer the Edwards to the Jackson. I've read that the luthiers at the Edwards shop all get experience at the ESP custom shop before working at Edwards. I would expect higher quality out of them, personally.

Also, only having one pickup in the guitar also makes it slightly more powerful, as the electricity isn't being split so many ways.

Quote by Ippon
You're aware that the link you provided is for ESP Custom Order (as in Custom Shop), right? The model is 577,500 Japanese yen (including local tax) or ~ US $5,530.

You are aware that the page he linked lists ALL of the Laiho guitars, right?
Quote by Delanoir
Switching the passive EMG in the Edwards might not be as easy as you think. Going from passive to active in a guitar takes some work, and isn't a simple switch. But I think you may not even really need real EMGs, as they're given way too much credit in metal. Passives let so much more of the guitar tone come through, and a lot of metal lead guitarists prefer them.

That said, I'd still generally prefer the Edwards to the Jackson. I've read that the luthiers at the Edwards shop all get experience at the ESP custom shop before working at Edwards. I would expect higher quality out of them, personally.

Also, only having one pickup in the guitar also makes it slightly more powerful, as the electricity isn't being split so many ways.

Hmm, well I suppose if I really want to switch the pup I can always give it to my local shop.

Thanks for that extra bit of info about the luthiers, I'm really thinking about this Edwards now.

Also, THANKYOU GOD, someone else knows that if you have only one pickup it will be much hotter, and THANKYOU Delanoir for actually considering that! lol
Quote by edusty2010
I said the EDWARDS model not ESP. They start the fifth one down. It's about $1,600. The others are about $1200.
Do it! Edwards has a solid rep. Respected forum member and UGer of 2007 Dave_Mc swears by his Edwards LP copy. I understand he even sleeps with it!

Most MIJ copies are pretty solid. I didn't go past the ESP Pink Sawtooth because I wanted it.

Quote by Ippon
Do it! Edwards has a solid rep. Respected forum member and UGer of 2007 Dave_Mc swears by his Edwards LP copy. I understand he even sleeps with it!

Most MIJ copies are pretty solid. I didn't go past the ESP Pink Sawtooth because I wanted it.

Lol I know man, I want it bad. I'll probably never get the ESP, but I want the Edwards to the point where I'm considering just saving up all summer for it and if I can't get enough ask my parents to front the cash I don't have.

I mean how many people have a pink guitar that is simultaneously that just oozes badass?
Quote by edusty2010
Lol I know man, I want it bad. I'll probably never get the ESP, but I want the Edwards to the point where I'm considering just saving up all summer for it and if I can't get enough ask my parents to front the cash I don't have.

I mean how many people have a pink guitar that is simultaneously that just oozes badass?

Solid plan!

I wanted that Pink ESP. The GAS was so strong I forgot to scroll down.

Haha I know man I know. It's crazy. Plus the scalloped 20-24th frets seriously have to be the best thing for me. I don't like scalloped frets but I can't really bend past the 20th, talk about convenience, it's the best of both worlds!

Oh P.S. doe's anyone know if the '08 models come with blackouts? I'd think they would, seeing as Alexi plays those. Later tonight if no one knows I'll set up an account on the ESP forum and I'll ask, I'm sure someone there will know. If it does, there's no question about it, I will def be getting either the black or pink sawtooth.
Quote by Ippon
Report back what you discover. Also, you need to invest in a solid case.

More like a vault, seriously, you realize if I got this I would pray to it for a good hour every night right? Cause to me this is like the god of guitars lol, and probably the last one I'll get until after college (well, maybe. If I can get into a music program or something I may have to get something less metal-ly... can you say, graduation present? lol) but I mean this is probably going to be the highest caliber guitar I've ever even held haha.

But I'm seriously jacked. Well, I'm gonna go finish up my homework (I'm a pretty big procrastinator lol) and then I'll check back here and then attempt to ascertain our ever-so-wanted answer. Then maybe we can start ogling it some more!
Glad I could help

Be sure to post pics when you have it so we can all oggle with you
Quote by Delanoir
Glad I could help

Be sure to post pics when you have it so we can all oggle with you

Man I can't thank you enough, you've been a huge help and nothing but nice.

And hell yeah I will! Although more of the pictures will be aimed at me being able to say "I HAVE A PINK ****ING GUITAR AND I'M PROUD!!!" lol.

Hey man I checked your profile a bit ago that's a pretty nice ESP! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it go for? If I can't get the $ and do have to resort to selling my current electric I may consider that just for the fact that it'll be a bit more versitile. I guess I just don't like the Edwards SV because of the solid color, it just looks nasty to me. To the point where I'd be willing to pay extra to get even the stripes on there lol.
No problem at all,

I'm glad you have the balls to not get all homophobic about the pink, because it's really awesome looking. It reminds me of the colorful guitars the shredders used in the 80's, except modernized.

And thanks! The SV is a standard series ESP that is on par in quality with the ones made in their custom shop in Japan. They run pretty expensive, though. I got mine for $2500, but I've seen them for more (though it does come with a locking, custom-fit ESP hard case, too). They're basically just like the Alexi customs, only with a neck pickup, and different inlays, and maybe not quite as nice.
Quote by Delanoir
No problem at all,

I'm glad you have the balls to not get all homophobic about the pink, because it's really awesome looking. It reminds me of the colorful guitars the shredders used in the 80's, except modernized.

And thanks! The SV is a standard series ESP that is on par in quality with the ones made in their custom shop in Japan. They run pretty expensive, though. I got mine for $2500, but I've seen them for more (though it does come with a locking, custom-fit ESP hard case, too). They're basically just like the Alexi customs, only with a neck pickup, and different inlays, and maybe not quite as nice.

Oh man seriously I love the color pink. Especially the darker shade the pinstripes are. I really think it does a beautiful job of falling out of the traditional metal guitar that hast to be black/silver/white. I mean I guess it's black, but the pink's just a nice touch.

Wow, that is pretty nice. Pretty expensive too haha. I'd really think about just getting the Edwards SV but like I said without the stripes it just looks bad IMO. Maybe it's just cause I haven't seen one. But yeah, the ESP Japanese shop just seems to have so many more options. I really can't wait to get mine. My dad (57, 58 next month) even thinks the pink is cool (god I love him lol)

On the downside, I am having some trouble ascertaining information on the pup selection of the '08 model. I registered about an hour ago, no email. I'm sure I'll get one soon (it took me a week to get into Dean's forums!!! I'm hoping it won't take too long), and I'll convey the news to you guys ASAP.

BTW, I was thinking about ordering from www.guitarjapan.com, if I paid the extra would they include a custom fit hard case? I don't want my guitar flying across the pond in a gig bag. Also doe's anyone know what their return policy is? IE if I get it and it's severely damaged or maimed could I contact them and get a new one free of charge?
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get it with a hard case, and generally what you pay in shipping will include insurance in the (unlikely, but possible) event that it gets to you damaged.
Quote by Delanoir
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get it with a hard case, and generally what you pay in shipping will include insurance in the (unlikely, but possible) event that it gets to you damaged.

That's kind of what I thought about the shipping/insurance thing. I don't really want to ask them now because it's going to be atleast 3 months before I have the $, maybe 4. I've run the numbers and I'm positive the Pink Edwards Alexi is within my reach, now I just gotta slide the fact that it's about $1,500 past my mother (She'll kill me, but eh... I think my Dad will help withholding that info lol... Did I mention I love him? 'Cause I do lol.)

I guess I'll just have to ask the questions when I get to the point where I'm ready to buy, unless someone has experience with them. I know some people around here do, but I forget usernames
AARRGGH, I just got home from speech practice (I'm doing some kickass poetry! It's called "Marriage" but Gregory Corso (sp?)) anyways lol, I get home thinking I'll get the email to log into ESP, and still nothing. This is driving me up the wall!

On the plus side, I may be going to GC and or Sam Ash this weekend, I'm gonna try an RR24. Really gonna look at the upper fret access, bendability on those frets, and see just how limiting one pup will be. So yeah. I'll continue posting updates every so often I suppose, hopefully I'll get the email so I can give you guys some info.

The website still has the pups listed as passive EMG's. I really think if it had been changed it would've been changed by now though . I'd really prefer the Blackouts or atleast an EMG 81. But eh. I can always change the pup/have the pup changed later.

If I do find one pup too limiting I'm actually starting to look at the Edwards model w/two EMG 81's. Idk the initial comparison just made me cringe, the alexi is just epic looking while the other is just... Plain. The picture of it on the site is really bad IMO, after seeing the pic in Delanoirs profile though the dot inlays don't look terrible, like they do in the pic on the website.
Just get a Jackson Stars
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by Slayer566
Just get a Jackson Stars

You make that sound like importing guitars constitutes no hassle at all. Takes extra money and time. Not to mention you can't try it out before playing it.

TS - I recommend trying out an RR24. If you don't mind the painted neck at all, I'd go for it. That was one of the main things stopping me from buying it. I mean I could have just shaved the neck, but what the hell. I have the LTD version of the Pink Sawtooth. Plays very nicely, and I could only imagine the Edwards being that much more awesome. A bit pricey though.

Post pics of whichever guitar you get.
Quote by fixationdarknes
You make that sound like importing guitars constitutes no hassle at all.

it doesn't
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Get a Jackson Stars RR-J2SP. Beats both those guitars flat.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by edusty2010

OFR, EMG passive pup (But it has a boost switch to make it active),

LOL WUT.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Peradactyl
alexi sux

**Reported** (uncalled for comment)

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Quote by Ippon

hey, that extortion artist told me i'd bought all the negatives of those photos... lying scumbag!

anyway, i have an edwards LP and it's a very nice guitar.

just be careful if you're in the UK, because you're likely to get hit with customs/VAT charges (which will increase the price a lot, by over 20%, and that's charged on shipping too), and also the pound sterling isn't doing too well at the moment so you won't get an amazing exchange rate.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?