I don't know if I spelled college right...spelling is not my thing. Anyways, I really want to do music in college, I know a lot of people on here want to do that. I just want to feel like an accomplished musician one day, and majoring in music would improve ones understanding of theory and such emennsly (I mean like greatly, but again I can't remember how to spell it) I play violin and guitar, but I don't know what to do to try to improve enough to get into a music program. Anyone got any helpful advice?
learning to spell would probably help.

you can learn theory on your own, you don't need spend thousands on schooling.
Founder of the Mike.h murder case group
Mike.h murder case
This day will go down in Lulzfamy.

Quote by Audio™
The Pit can't even solve what they want for lunch let alone how to save the world.
Start checking the websites of schools that interest you. They generally have pages dedicated to what you will be required to know prior to auditioning, which can help you decide what to start working on.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Yes you spelt it right. And my advice is to join a music course, they will usually accept anyone, and you will improve in playing and in theory alot.
Quote by maggot9779
Yes you spelt it right. And my advice is to join a music course, they will usually accept anyone, and you will improve in playing and in theory alot.

what do you mean music course??
Well, when I went to college they had a few courses available. Music Technology and Music Practice, I did Music Practice which includes theory, performance, music industry and others. It was free for me because I was under 19 at the time. I'm not sure if that would be the case where you are.
Quote by ir0n_ma1den
learning to spell would probably help.

you can learn theory on your own, you don't need spend thousands on schooling.

Thats dumb, obviously you can learn anything yourself but whos going to hire someone that hasn't been instructed properly, it goes for every major.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
if you can't get into a BTEC course, which is equiv to a-levels, you could always take a first diploma. which is equiv to 5 a-c GCSE's. there's practically no difference in the standard you get taught too, just one's for kids who couldn't balance their music with normal studies, so you usually get some amazing musicians in 1st because they did nothing but play music.

i'm using the english grades and courses, but it should be similar wherever you are, they're both pretty easy to get in to. you need nothing for 1st, and 5 A-C GCSE's for BTEC.

and it's spelt immensely BTW
Quote by glowskulls
if you can't get into a BTEC course, which is equiv to a-levels, you could always take a first diploma. which is equiv to 5 a-c GCSE's. there's practically no difference in the standard you get taught too, just one's for kids who couldn't balance their music with normal studies, so you usually get some amazing musicians in 1st because they did nothing but play music.

i'm using the english grades and courses, but it should be similar wherever you are, they're both pretty easy to get in to. you need nothing for 1st, and 5 A-C GCSE's for BTEC.

Yup, I did a BTEC and it was VERY good, the teachers knew their stuff. My theory teacher was the ex-drummer for Benediction ffs!!!
Quote by tr3nt
Thats dumb, obviously you can learn anything yourself but whos going to hire someone that hasn't been instructed properly, it goes for every major.

I don't mean that you should do it alone... actually, i reread my post and it does sound like that, but thats not what I meant. Get an instructor and just tell him/her to pile on the theory. Thats what I am doing right now and its great. My point is that you don't need to go to a music school in order to be accomplished.
Founder of the Mike.h murder case group
Mike.h murder case
This day will go down in Lulzfamy.

Quote by Audio™
The Pit can't even solve what they want for lunch let alone how to save the world.
Find a teacher who teaches at a college and take private lessons with them. They can give you an idea of how you match up to the rest of the talent pool, and they can teach you what you need to know to be able to get into music schools for performance.
12 fret fury
Quote by meganh37
Yeah, you did spell college right. But immensely was spelled wrong.

It's with an i! oh I can't believe I forgot that
Quote by glowskulls

gosh I wish I knew what you said...all this letters stuff is just like a forgien (grr spelling!) language to me. I think I might tell my guitar teacher I want to major in music....but I don't want him to laugh in my face...I've only been playing guitar for a year, but I've played violin for much longer, and I can work really hard when I want to accomplish something