Page 1 of 2
my school (in CT) has people coming in from Yale to help kids stop smoking. They say with their program, if you stop smoking, you can earn up to 400 dollars for your participation. I don't smoke, but if i started two weeks before i joined the program (to build up **** in my lungs), could i pass as a smoker? my fellow band mates and i are planning to do this our senior year (next year), so that'd be about $1200 for new gear. Any possible side effects i could get from this? Also, would i get in trouble if i get caught?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I'd do the same thing if that program came to my school.
they might get upset... but go for it!
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Smoking for a few weeks won't do any serious long-term damage. You might lose a month or two of your life, if that. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Check everything out, find the fine print, double-check everything. If you can really get $400 that easily, go for it.
Quote by Joelieo
lol.

Enjoy a lifetime of addiction, yellowing teeth, faster aging and a premature death.

YAY!
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

Something tells me that by the end of this program those dudes from Yale won't give you any money and all you will win is a cigarrette addiction
Quote by Joelieo
lol.

Enjoy a lifetime of addiction, yellowing teeth, faster aging and a premature death.

worth 1200 bucks if you ask me
if you don't smoke, don't start, especially as some lame scheme to earn some money. how about getting a job? it's alot better than endangering your health and it teaches you responsibility.

also, what if the program didn't work, and you kept smoking. you would spend a whole lot more than you would earn.
Quote by cedaguol
Something tells me that by the end of this program those dudes from Yale won't give you any money and all you will win is a cigarrette addiction

It's a conspiracy!
Look, regardless of what anyone here says, two weeks of smoking will NOT earn you a lifetime addiction. The most you'll have at the end of two weeks is a psychological addiction, but it certainly won't be a physical addiction by that point, meaning quitting won't be hard, provided you have any willpower.
haha, well you can smoke non-stop for 2 weeks, which will cost about as much as you will make :P. It will definitely not be good for you, you will probably become addicted, and you could definitely get in trouble. But no worries, right?
tried the whole job thing. no one will hire me. *cries*
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

Sure, if you're sure you can be able to stop smoking and not seriously get addicted.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Well, if one of those Yale guys reads this, I'm pretty sure your plan would fail...
But I guess as long as you "quit", they can't do anything.

I'd do it.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I like you and you are special

Quote by perry589
I don't wank. I auto fellatio.

it does work, i did it at my school ( i already smoked pot every day for like 2 motnhs before though). however at my school the prize was free pizza every friday
if they dont medically test then youd be fine..

but i dont think you could pick up the habit in two weeks...

try it... the worst that could happen is addiction
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
it seems to me that you could make more money if you all just worked for 2 weeks. but if you must maybe consider getting someone not participating in your plan to throw the question out there to the yale people...justto see how they would handle that situation.
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
I'd say go for it, 2 weeks of smoking wouldn't have any serious effects on you.
sup?
Quote by emagdnimasisiht
I would totally do that. Think of the gear you can get!

i dont know if that was sarcastic or not but it made me realize that although better than nothing $1200 spread between band members isnt that much...at least not enough to make me start smoking....
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
i'd rather have 1200 than free pizza. My band needs a PA system and a few other things, so that'll be enough. i have pretty strong will power, so i think i'll be fine
Epiphone G-400
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

Smoking is terrible to do, but I have to admit if you can pull this off it's a really good idea. The thing is if you smoke just 1 cigarette for 4 days, you can get addicted. That's what my health teacher said. Also cigarettes cost quite a bit don't they? Depending on how many you smoke a day for 2 weeks... how much money would you have to deduct from the $400?
What they mean is you will save $$$ from not smoking. At least I think that's what they mean. I got a mate who is a smoker, 20 a day or something close to that, he stopped smoking for a month and had over £100 extra cash (i think somewhere around the £130 mark) at the end of the month. But the silly bugger started smoking again after taking that money and spending most of it on a big night out, during which someone gave him a fag again. Kinda ironic I guess......right now where was I?
Oh yeah, 3 blokes walk into a pub, and the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
yeah start smoking a pack a day. that will work
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
what if the yale people work with the tobacco people and its all one big plan to get smokers to smoke even more
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ

That and about 3-4 weeks oughta do the trick.

Have fun, unfiltered cigarettes give me the runs.

BTW: If you're an amateur smoker it's going to take a while before you get addicted. Physically, your body might crave a cig, but it takes about 6 weeks before you start to develop the behavioral patterns of a smoker, which is the REALLY hard thing to break.

Example, you might take a break after 2-3 weeks of smoking and be like "ugh, I feel less than optimal." However, after years of smoking, you literally are like "I definitely feel like I should be smoking right now." (that's me while driving or having beers) or "5 minutes til cigarette time." There's a big difference between simple physical addiction or mild withdrawal and mind-****ing neuroticism when you go without.
Last edited by pratt121 at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by meganh37
Smoking is terrible to do, but I have to admit if you can pull this off it's a really good idea. The thing is if you smoke just 1 cigarette for 4 days, you can get addicted. That's what my health teacher said. Also cigarettes cost quite a bit don't they? Depending on how many you smoke a day for 2 weeks... how much money would you have to deduct from the $400?

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Zardokk
Look, regardless of what anyone here says, two weeks of smoking will NOT earn you a lifetime addiction. The most you'll have at the end of two weeks is a psychological addiction, but it certainly won't be a physical addiction by that point, meaning quitting won't be hard, provided you have any willpower.

you've got it backwards. it'll give you a chemical addiction, but not a psychological addiction. You'll be able to get past the withdrawal (if there is any after only 2 weeks) in a couple of days, and it won't have become enough of a habit that you'll want to keep doing it. Just make sure that you don't think of it as no big deal that you smoked some cigarettes, because then you'll think it's no big deal to smoke more after you're done with the program.
you probably wouldn't pass as a serious daily smoker, your blood oxygen would be too high and you wouldn't have enough of the various chemicals in your blood, but that only matters if they do comprehensive testing. In order to pass if they did do testing you would have to smoke 2-3 packs a day a for two weeks, which would seriously eat into the money that you would get from the study, cigarettes aren't cheap in most places here.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
Any possible side effects i could get from this??

...addiction comes to mind. you act like just starting and quitting two weeks later is an easy thing.
Quote by meganh37

You need a teacher to tell you smoking is bad?
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
smoking has no physical side effects. it has been proven. don't question the unquestionable.
um im going for it brother, sounds like a plan.
Page 1 of 2