http://www.guitarcenter.com/Randall-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-KH120RHS-120W-4x12-Guitar-Half-Stack-605491-i1394522.gc

also what is the difference between solid state and valve, and whats the best half stack i can get for less than 1000 (other than peavy cause i dont want a valve king)

EDIT: i think i meant to say tube amp (i think its the same as valve if its not then i meant tube)
Last edited by F8iscruel at Apr 27, 2008,
you can get a 5150 half stack, SOMETIMES, for under 1000. but are we talking euros or usd?
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
well what do you play man? cuz a 5150 would be the cats meow for heavy stuff, but not the greatest for super clean stuff.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Solid state amps use transistors to create sound whereas tube amps use... tubes.

Tube amps are noticeably louder than solid states (about 15% at the same wattage) and tend to provide warmer tone whereas solid states are "colder". Tube amps are often heavier and more costly than their solid state counterparts - most rock guitarists prefer tubes to solid states whereas most jazz players prefer solid state to tube.

Tube and valve are the same, by the way - British people tend to call them valve amps though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i was looking into B52's bt im not entirely sure, i thought i might get a crate but then i realized i shouldnt, but i might get a behinger cab and a valve king head (it'd be roughly 700 dollars for both together). but i might go ahead and get a windsor ( i know i said i didnt want a peavy but it seems like the best and im trying not to blow a 1000 bucks on one.
you obviously have no idea what you're doing. i recommend waiting a month or so till you buy anything. during that month, play through every buyable amp that is recommended. really, your buying skills scare the hell outta me b/c they seem that of someone who's only played guitar for a year or more.

don't get a halfstack. get a combo. use your head. most people here on UG dont get halfstacks b/c they are not worth the extra money and hassle of lugging around unless you are touring huge stadiums.

EDIT: oh and sorry for being very blunt. figured if you hear it like it is you wont waste money. i hate for ANY fellow guitarist to go and buy something without knowing anything about what he/she's doing. you need to go try a ****load of amps.

what's ur style ?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
also i tend to play my amps on clean and run everything throught pedals so a warmer clean tone would be preferbale, it the main reason i dont want a solid states because they tend to have prebuilts which i dont need and the cleans on them are horrible ( crate line 6 etc)
also im doing this to move up b/c im upgrading to a bigger amp possibly over the summer so i was looking at something along that path, nice clean tone and takes pedals very well
i also tend to play metal but change to hard rock, blues, etc
i dont want a combo because none of them have nice enough pedal handling
Last edited by F8iscruel at Apr 27, 2008,
DONT buy a tube amp and use distortion pedals!!! now you're REALLY scaring me. tube amps are desired b/c they have the warmest sounding NATURAL distortion/overdrive. get yourself a 30/50 watt tube amp and use an OD pedal to boost it heavier. dist. pedals only IMITATE hi gain tube amps. don't fake it man, do the REAL deal.

i dont even know where to begin really...

alrite, what sound do you play the MOST? use a band that you want to sound like for reference. what guitar are you playing through? do you play more blues, classic rock and hard rock? or do you mostly play heavy death metal? these are NEED TO KNOW specifics. you'll thank UG later i promise.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Peavey Valveking or B-52 would be your best bet man, the Windsor is only one channel (OD) so for your needs it wouldn't be a great fit IMO.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
first off, you are right i dont know alot about amps so thank you for helping me
secondly, im looking for the kirk hammet tone on the ride the lightning and master of puppets albums, more specificly the lighting like guitar rumble on fade to blacks intro solo ( which i hear is a tube screamer he used to get it)
i play more tharsh metal so i branch into a bunch of different styles when im trying to play songs
i also like triviums tone but since they have a tone much like metallica im more into a tone like metallicas ( i hope that helps you help me )
trivium use marshalls and peaveys i'm pretty sure...
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
this ones gonna be a little rough to ask because i know their reputation but should i just try to get an mg100 marshall do you think i might find a good one
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get a used dsl or other marshall for the love of god
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get a used dsl or other marshall for the love of god

i kind of figured that would be a response, just wondering if anyone would actually recommend it lol, so does anyone know an amp that takes pedals really well and has a good clean
what you'd want is something that can get a heavy gain but not all out death metal type. i think a B-52, randall of some sort, or used jcm800 could work. note that an OD will help you add fullness to your sound. i really hope i'm not the only one suggesting anything for metallica stuff. i like to play some of their stuff, and can get a good tone w/ my bad monkey and blackheart, but as far as heavier stuff goes i dont think you'd want a blackheart as ur main amp. but a british voiced amp pushed heavy should work. look into a traynor maybe?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
the thing is i can't really get anything that isnt sold at guitar center, my parents are kinda paying for it and they dont trust buying things online and guitar center doesnt supply traynors ( i just checked) but i might get a b-52, the seem to be the best out of your 3 choices to me ( unlewss i could get a really cheap jcm800 but)
btw the parent comment might make me sound noobish but i cant get job yet because the shops around here dont want 16 year old right now because of limits on work time so im in a bind
the parent comment is fine, i understand when it comes to parents how they get suspicious about anything that has the words "used" or "online". you might be able to find a nice mesa used for that. but you'll have to look around ur store man. there's tons of amps to try out w/ ur pricerange i'm sure. DON'T let the guys make you feel intimidated and that you HAVE to get a certain kind. just use your ears. just ask them to point you in the TUBE amps that handle HI GAIN and are LESS THAN $1000! those are the specifics lol. emphasize on those three things. b/c i know a lotta guitar salesman that when you say a price, they'll go for gear that's like btw $50 and $150 more than ur budget just so they can say 'well it's only slightly more than ur budget, so you could either put it on layaway or have ur parents finance through us....bla bla bla'

hope this is helping
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
On an unrelated issue, can someone tell me why Kirk hammett has a signature amp series with Randall, when he doesn't even play Randall Amps?
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
On an unrelated issue, can someone tell me why Kirk hammett has a signature amp series with Randall, when he doesn't even play Randall Amps?

He does now, or so I've heard. He talked to Scott Ian, and he got Hammett to play through one. Hammett liked it.

His actual sig model is all tube, and used the Randall tube module system.

This is basically an RG100 (I think that's what they're called) SS that's got Kirk's name on it.

Here's his real signature amp...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
the RMs of the MTS series are the tube ones. those are sex. i know b/c i have sex. for me sex is RM50. 50 watts of sex.

get the drift? it's a really really reall awesome amp
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by stratman_13
He does now, or so I've heard. He talked to Scott Ian, and he got Hammett to play through one. Hammett liked it.

His actual sig model is all tube, and used the Randall tube module system.

This is basically an RG100 (I think that's what they're called) SS that's got Kirk's name on it.

Here's his real signature amp...

You know what? I did not know that. But personally, I still think it's a bit of a pre-emptive gesture.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM