Okay so if Im using the powerchords E3, E5, E7, and A7 would that be in the key of b flat?
F-R-E-E CREDIT REPORT DOT COM BABY
No, and you really really need to elaborate on the intervals. What do mean by "E3" and "E7" (which refers to a dominant chord, and is most certainly not a power chord)?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
What do mean by "E3" and "E7" (which refers to a dominant chord, and is most certainly not a power chord)?
I interpreted it is a power chord with its root in the 3rd or 7th fret of the E string.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, and you really really need to elaborate on the intervals. What do mean by "E3" and "E7" (which refers to a dominant chord, and is most certainly not a power chord)?

Well when I say E3 I mean the low E string 3rd fret, and yea to the other person thats what I mean G5, A5, B5, and E5 I just find it easier to do it like that lol...call be a nub I know x.x
i think this is in E....? you can definitly solo over it in E...... someone back me up lol
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Bb Major has an Eb in the key signature, so no. Bbm also has 5 flats in the key signature, and Eb is included as well.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by cullen1191
I just find it easier to do it like that
Don't do that. No one knows what you're talking about. Use standard naming conventions to effectively communicate musical ideas.

So you know, you labeled B5 as E7; E7 is COMPLETELY different than B5 to an extent you can't imagine.

Please use standard conventions.

Quote by rage6945
i think this is in E....? you can definitly solo over it in E...... someone back me up lol
It could be in an bluesy key of E, but more likely Em. However, I think Bm is the best option.
Quote by cullen1191
Okay so if Im using the powerchords E3, E5, E7, and A7 would that be in the key of b flat?

What you mean is G5, A5, B5 and E5. Notes present are G D A E B and F#. How did you arrive at the key of Bb?

Quote by bangoodcharlote
It could be in an bluesy key of E, but more likely Em. However, I think Bm is the best option.

Seconded.
Last edited by :-D at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by cullen1191
Well when I say E3 I mean the low E string 3rd fret, and yea to the other person thats what I mean G5, A5, B5, and E5 I just find it easier to do it like that lol...call be a nub I know x.x

oh my bad i read your first post like a musician

how do these chords fit in a song? this doesnt sound right at all haha
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
]What you mean is G5, E5, B5 and E5. Notes present are G D E B and F#. How did you arrive at the key of Bb?

Well Ive never taken any kind of theory or anything or studied up on it until this last week recently and I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half so I thought its about time to step it up and start making real music so excuse me if I say some pretty retarded stuff seeing as how Im new to this all x.x
Quote by rage6945
i think this is in Emin....? you can definitly solo over it in Emin...... someone back me up lol

Edited to make you look smarter.

Im sure you meant E min actually, sometimes I forget to say minor or flat or sharp myself.
Quote by :-D
^No, I'm actually wondering what your thought process was so maybe I can help you.

I just answered probably 2 seconds before you posted this lol, read my post above your last
Quote by cullen1191
I just answered
Please elaborate.

^No, I'm actually wondering what your thought process was so maybe I can help you.

Step 1: Write every note on a sheet of paper
Step 2: Close eyes
Step 3: Point!

I kid I kid...
Quote by cullen1191
I just answered probably 2 seconds before you posted this lol, read my post above your last

I read that post. It explains nothing about your thinking.
Quote by cullen1191
Well Ive never taken any kind of theory or anything or studied up on it until this last week recently and I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half so I thought its about time to step it up and start making real music so excuse me if I say some pretty retarded stuff seeing as how Im new to this all x.x

Good for you. I find that those who write their own stuff are far more motivated and are almost always better than those that simply choose to play other people's songs all the time.

Don't take any of the corrections personally, they're here to help.
Okay everything got way off subject lol

So that wouldnt be in the key of B flat but in the key of Bm?
Quote by cullen1191
Okay everything got way off subject lol

So that wouldnt be in the key of B flat but in the key of Bm?

Yes, most likely. Still, explain how you arrived at Bb.
Yes, most likely. Still, explain how you arrived at Bb.

My friend told me it was in the key of b flat becasue there were no sharps or flats in it or something. I dont remember it exactly, you'd have to ask him to find out. But like I said Im still pretty new to it all so dont take me as a complete idiot. Lol
Quote by cullen1191
My friend told me it was in the key of b flat becasue there were no sharps or flats in it or something. I dont remember it exactly, you'd have to ask him to find out. But like I said Im still pretty new to it all so dont take me as a complete idiot. Lol
Would he happen to be a confused clarinet player?

A minor.
Not the same as C major!!!!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Would he happen to be a confused clarinet player?

Tenor Saxaphone actually xD
Quote by cullen1191
Tenor Saxaphone actually xD
I think Tenor Sax may be a Bb instrument as well.

Don't worry about what I'm talking about. C is the key on guitar with no sharps or flats.

And your riff actually does contain sharp notes as the 5th of some of the chords.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Edited to make you look smarter.

Im sure you meant E min actually, sometimes I forget to say minor or flat or sharp myself.

at the time i was playing e pentatonic actually, but i usually throw in seconds and sharp 5ths when i use pentatonic scales (only if it fits) making it minor i guess.
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I think Tenor Sax may be a Bb instrument as well.

you are correct.....yea i just wanted to exercise my knowledge from school band haha
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Quote by rage6945
at the time i was playing e pentatonic actually, but i usually throw in seconds and sharp 5ths when i use pentatonic scales (only if it fits) making it minor i guess.

That makes no sense at all, actually. The minor contains no 2 and has a 5, not sharp 5.
Last edited by :-D at Apr 27, 2008,
That makes no sense at all, actually. The minor contains no 2 and has a b5.
I'm guessing he's confusing #5's with b6's and is saying he's doing pentatonic but with natural minor bits thrown in.

Anyways, lol at tenor sax player. He's like, bridging the gap between written and concert pitch in some sick, twisted way. C major on a tenor sax(no flats no sharps) is concert Bb major so I guess...maybe it's possible to see why he made such a mistake...

As it's been said, looks like B minor, but there are also other possibilities. Any key that contains the notes in those chords(including the fifths). And yes, PLEASE don't write your chords all weird. That threw me(and a couple others) for a bit of a loop.
G5, E5, B5 and E5

G D E B and F#

this progression could easily be in the key of Gmajor

but i can see the Bminor stronger than G maj
song stuck in my head today

Quote by grampastumpy
I'm guessing he's confusing #5's with b6's and is saying he's doing pentatonic but with natural minor bits thrown in.

yes, b6 is definity a better wording for what i was saying, but to whoever said i was wrong.... unless F# decided to stop sounding the way it does, there is a 2nd in the E minor scale. why are there major 2nds in minor scales? who knows.
and flat 5ths? now we're talking diminished lol
gear

PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Quote by rage6945
yes, b6 is definity a better wording for what i was saying, but to whoever said i was wrong.... unless F# decided to stop sounding the way it does, there is a 2nd in the E minor scale. why are there major 2nds in minor scales? who knows.
and flat 5ths? now we're talking diminished lol

I misspoke on the b5; I was thinking of the minor blues scale, it's been corrected.

But you said you "made it minor" by adding the 2; that's not at all what defines a minor scale though.