Hi I'd like to start out with i don't know much about guitar as i am still pretty much a newbie...

I've been playing since january 2008 and for some of the money i get from my 18th birthday i am going to by myself a el-guitar. I have been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty with 3 humbuckers down at the local guitar store for quite some time now, and i am pretty sure it's going to be it... but my problem is that as far as i've read there is no way to activate all three humbuckers with the standard wiring... I've been thinking about either getting the 3-way switch replaced with a 5-way switch, getting a secondary switch installed that turns the middle pick-up on/off or rewiring it so the middle option turns on all pick-ups. i have also thought about getting the middle pick-up changed for a motherbucker but information about them is scarce.

I hope i can get some answers.. and that i even posted this the right place :S
Well obviously with a 3-way switch, you can only have 3 options to choose from, so you can't have each humbucker seperately and then some in combination too.

You'd need to either have a 5-way switch installed, or you could probably make it work if you replaced the volume and tone control pots with push/pull pots.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
gibson makes a 6-way switch
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by MrFlibble
Well obviously with a 3-way switch, you can only have 3 options to choose from, so you can't have each humbucker seperately and then some in combination too.

You'd need to either have a 5-way switch installed, or you could probably make it work if you replaced the volume and tone control pots with push/pull pots.

I don't need each humbucker seperately : ) I am looking for a way to turn all three of them on at once. the standard configuration have neck, bridge and neck/middle as far as i remember.. and it bugs me that i can't have them all turned on at once because it was the thought of that, that first brought my attention to the guitar.

Quote by plucky duck
gibson makes a 6-way switch

But i suppose they are quite expensive?
Last edited by DemonDZ at Apr 27, 2008,
dont know how much they cost, i just know they exist if gibby makes em you know someone else does too. where/who? i dont know that one either
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
umm i cant imagine how bad it might sound to have 3 humbuckers going at once... you do realize that you get a different sound texture out of each pickup right?
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
dont peter frampton play with all 3 buckers going at the same time?
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
I think it's prefference.. i can see you use a strat, and there you can have all three single coils on at once =P

And as far as i know all the switch options on peter framptons guitar features the middle humbucker.. so yes he does use all 3 buckers at once at least some times
Quote by DemonDZ
I think it's prefference.. i can see you use a strat, and there you can have all three single coils on at once =P

Really? How exactly?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Quote by DemonDZ

And as far as i know all the switch options on peter framptons guitar features the middle humbucker.. so yes he does use all 3 buckers at once at least some times

No you can't - you only ever have 2 together.

All three humbuckers at once isn't going to sound particularly good, it'll most likely just sound kind of muddy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What he said ^. The middle setting selects just the middle pickup.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
I thought the only strat that can do all three at once was the Deluxe Players. I could be wrong though. Not exactly a Fender expert.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by fretblaze
What he said ^. The middle setting selects just the middle pickup.

Not on the Peter Frampton Signature Model
I'm assuming the thinking behind the Frampton switching is to give you back the option for bridge and neck pickups together that you lose on a 3 pickup Les Paul. Bridge and middle might be interesting but all three together isn't going to be particularly useable, I'm not convinced about neck and middle either to be honest.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

So is the epiphone sg custom like this to? I was thinking about getting one but if u can't use all the pickups at once and if it wouldn't sound good anyway i don't see a point in it.
Why are you so obsessed with using all 3 pickups at once? The original Customs had 3 pickups because it made them look more expensive, tonally it wasn't found to be that useful which is why they stopped doing it and why you hardly ever find 3 humbucker guitars in general.

The only reason you can get them now is because there's a demand for them and they were re-issued.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I got mine rewired so it has three volume knobs(for each pickup)and a master tone. so basiclly you can turn the middle pickup on or off no matter what your pickup selector switch is on.