Page 1 of 2
ok so everyone is going off saying "death metal is called death metal because of the band Death" its understandable, they had the riffs, blastbeats, and vocals that defined Death Metal. But i somehow doubt that modern death metal bands looked at death for Lyrical inspiration. i dont have time or room to post every single death lyric so i just selected a passage at random.
Where is the person that could have been
Who, what took over, when did the end begin

Should we not prepare
For the uncertain
Mysteries of our life
Of our destiny

See things that are not there
Intruding voices
What went wrong to their
Picture perfect life
They once knew
Flattening of emotions

A mind shared by an uninvited stranger
Which comes and goes as choose to appear

thats pretty much a typical death song, allthough they do have songs about violence and killing, most of them are politically, religiously, or spiritually fueled

now heres a passage from the UG popular "I cum Blood" by Cannibal Corpse.

Swollen with liquid
Ready to burst
A load of my lymph
Will quench this dead body's thirst
One month in the grave
twisted and half decayed
She turned a putrid yellow
I pissed in her maggot filled asshole

a bit different, dont you think???

so where did this sick fascination that is Death Metal lyrics come from. The Obvious choice would be slayer. Allthough they were a thrash band their lyrics focused on grim elaborate descriptions of serial killings, massacres, and hell unlike Metallica and Megadeth who where more politically focused.

but i think it came before that. I think it might have started with the Misfits.

5:25 august fifth, 1962
Found her lying on her chest
Her face all turning blue
You think it was an overdose
But could it have been the pact
Could it have been the kennedys
Was it lapd

It aint a mystery
Baby not to me
Funny, funny, funny mystery
Baby not to me

Rotted corpse, sex decay
Breasts all full of slugs
No answer for the accident
Her **** has all dried up, you see

5:25 august fifth, 1962
Make it seem a suicide
Make it seem a suicide
Make it seem a suicide
Make it seem a suicide

It aint a mystery
Baby not to me
Baby not to me

It aint a mystery
Baby not to me
Baby not to me

heres lyrics to "who killed Marylin" off their 1980 EP of the same name. Slayer were punk fans, its possible they could have been impressed by the Misfits Morbid Fascination.

This is my opinion based off of Observations i have made, if you disagree, back it up with facts.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Yeah thats fair. Misfits and Slayer probably were an influence.

I think the main influence is the Z-grade slasher movies popular in the 80s. No storylines really, just gore. And remember that a lot of these bands were just kids, so for them it wouldve been a hell of a lot easier to right about a horror movie than to actual say something deep.
There were violent lyrics before Misfits.

There were violent lyrics before the 20th century.

There were violent lyrics before the guitar.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Trying to trace death metal's lyrical origins back to a certain point is moronic. The lyrics in death metal are not unique, and are not all the same. Death metal bands sing about anything from death, gore, to politics, life experience and religion. They are generally negative, that's really the only factor in common to almost all death metal lyrics.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
To MH: And even then it's not always negative. I mean, look at some Melodeath lyrics, Like some of the stuff off of In Flames "Colony" album. Really uplifting.
And then theres all the stuff by those "tough guy" deathcore bands (notice I'm refering to DEATHcore ) about how you should be honorably and stand by your brother and all that.

But yeah, VGF summed it up best. Violence and Violent lyrics have been around forever, and besides, you picked a Death song from the later albums, if you go back to "Scream Bloody Gore" you'll find such gems as;

Quote by Zombie Ritual

Revengeful corpse out to kill
Smell the stench, your guts will spill
Vomit for a mind, maggots for a cock
With his axe the corpse will chop
I don't really consider bands like In Flames to be death metal to be honest mate. 99% of the time old school/brutal/tech death bands have negative lyrics and they vary greatly from gore to religion. And that of course is nothing new in music haha
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Yeah, I was sitting here trying to think of a standard/brutal/tech death band with positive lyrics and just kept drawing a blank so I just picked one I did know to have uplifting lyrics
You always get exceptions, with everything. Joke bands or christian bands or just general happy bands. But, and it pains me to quote Jon Davis, but what he said is true and applies to death metal, about happy lyrics not fitting in with the music

Yeah that's very true, as much of a twat he is.

Still, even with bands like Parkway Drive (as much as I don't want to bring them up). The lyrics can be all uplifting and honorable, etc, but the music will still be blast beats and chug riffs.

Works though

But yeah, I get your point.
All Death Metal lyrics negative?

Laughable.

Quote by MHDrunk
The lyrics in death metal are not unique,

That only applies to uncreative bands mind you.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
All Death Metal lyrics negative?

Laughable.

That only applies to uncreative bands mind you.

What's this shit? Was reading your posts before this thinking 'this kid knows what he's talking about at least' but this is one of the most moronic posts I've seen on here this year.

Quote by MHDrunk
What's this shit? Was reading your posts before this thinking 'this kid knows what he's talking about at least' but this is one of the most moronic posts I've seen on here this year.

I was thinking quite the same actually.

What I am saying is that Death Metal lyrics are unique. Just like every other damn genre has unique lyrics.

We have your,

"gore gore gore gore gore" lyrics. The staple of the death metal genre. Not too unique, but don't fix it if its not broken.

We have your,

"excruciatingly blasphemous fountains of unfathomable ungodly rot from wounds unknown to mortal men" lyrics. Death metal lyrics done creatively. Note: thesaurus obviously not always needed, I can't be arsed to type out a perfect example.

Creativity and unique lyrics are hand in hand.

As for the negativity, I could refer you too Death Metal gods with minimal to no negativity in their lyrics.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I was thinking quite the same actually.

What I am saying is that Death Metal lyrics are unique. Just like every other damn genre has unique lyrics.

We have your,

"gore gore gore gore gore" lyrics. The staple of the death metal genre. Not too unique, but don't fix it if its not broken.

We have your,

"excruciatingly blasphemous fountains of unfathomable ungodly rot from wounds unknown to mortal men" lyrics. Death metal lyrics done creatively. Note: thesaurus obviously not always needed, I can't be arsed to type out a perfect example.

Creativity and unique lyrics are hand in hand.

As for the negativity, I could refer you too Death Metal gods with minimal to no negativity in their lyrics.

Hey lol, I misread "That only applies to uncreative bands mind you." as "That only applies to uncreative minds like you." Sorry haha!

Basically what I'm saying is that the lyrics in death metal are not unique too death metal. There is no defining death metal lyrical style.

Obviously there are exceptions, but generally...

well, when i meant "death metal lyrics" i was more focused on the gore fest lyrics because thats the death metal im used to. to MH saying "violence has been around forever" no **** sherlock but find me some lyrics older than the misfits song that can be compared to Cannibal Corpse and then well talk. Buti will agreee it probably came from horror- gore movies
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
If you agree that The Misfits probably weren't the main inspiration for it, then there is no point further discussing this topic.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
TS please point out a blastbeat that Death have played on one of their studio albums, before I teabag you.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
TS please point out a blastbeat that Death have played on one of their studio albums, before I teabag you.

Crystal Mountain, Flattening of Human emotions
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
Crystal Mountain, Flattening of Human emotions

Neither of those songs do.

Whatever, I will avoid spamming. Death Metal lyricists wrote about what THEY thought would fit in a Death Metal song, and the very point of Death Metal lyrics was so the lyrics would suit the music, but not all DM lyrics are violent.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I think he (the TS), like so many freakin' idiots I know, thinks a blast beat is just a really fast kick-snare
Like this

kick, snare, kick, snare, kick snare, kick snare
HH, _____, HH, _____, HH, _____, HH,_____

The HH is Hi-Hat. and the line is nothing.

A blast beat is

KICK KICK KICK KICK
SNARE SNARE SNARE SNARE
RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE

All at the same time, as fast as possible, but in time.
Ride can be substituted for any cymbal really.
Quote by to_the_grave
Yeah thats fair. Misfits and Slayer probably were an influence.

I think the main influence is the Z-grade slasher movies popular in the 80s. No storylines really, just gore. And remember that a lot of these bands were just kids, so for them it wouldve been a hell of a lot easier to right about a horror movie than to actual say something deep.

That's an interesting point, I bet half of the death metallers were huge Grindhouse film fans, and probably gorged on 70s and 80s gorefests. Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Cannibal Holocaust and Texas Chainsaw Massacre come to mind.

Slayer wrote hugely about death and had a huge influence on the following trends, but if we're talking about the music of death metal, I'd say that Venom invented it.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
The Exorcist.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Fuzzbox91
well, when i meant "death metal lyrics" i was more focused on the gore fest lyrics because thats the death metal im used to. to MH saying "violence has been around forever" no **** sherlock but find me some lyrics older than the misfits song that can be compared to Cannibal Corpse and then well talk. Buti will agreee it probably came from horror- gore movies

You are a fucking idiot.

"Saturno devorando a su hijo, Saturno devorando a un hijo."

You want me to translate that for you?

Saturn Devouring One of His Sons, Saturn Devouring his Children

Thats pretty gorey for one. And thats just the song title

..Son of the God of Winds: none so renown'd

The warrior trumpet in the field to sound;
With breathing brass to kindle fierce alarms,
And rouse to dare their fate in honorable arms.
He served great Hector, and was ever near,
Not with his trumpet only, but his spear...
His spear which shall pierce through metal,
Meeting with the flesh of his enemies
Painting crimson everlasting

Hey what do you know. More gore.

You don't even want me to post Aztecian lyrics.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Magero
I think he (the TS), like so many freakin' idiots I know, thinks a blast beat is just a really fast kick-snare
Like this

A blast beat is

KICK KICK KICK KICK
SNARE SNARE SNARE SNARE
RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE

Both of them are examples of a blastbeat.

I guess they aren't as big a bunch of freakin' idiots as you thought.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
This is all roughly translated, as you cannot physically put Aztecian writings on UG boards.

"Our altars of idols, outstretched wings, this very night five had been sacrificed before them; their chests had been cut opened, and their arms and thighs had been cut off. The walls were covered with blood."

"Strike open the wretched chest knives of flint! Hastily tear out the palpitating heart which, with the blood, we present to glorious idols! Cut off the arms, thighs and head, eating the arms and thighs at ceremonial banquets. Head hung up on a beam, the body is ritualistically given to our beasts."

Our language is very different then ours, so it does not sound to musical to us. Keep that in mind.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Dyer's, noooo.... You can alternate the hi-hat if you want, but the snare and kick have to be synched on every beat like that. I've had too many drummers yell at me for calling kick snare a blast beat now.

And VGF: That is epic win....I now want to form an Aztec themed brutal death metal band....
Well Gene Hoglan seems to think it constitutes a blastbeat.
LAMMERGEIER
Quote by Magero
Like this

hahaha... that's what I thought a blastbeat was
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Well Gene Hoglan seems to think it constitutes a blastbeat.

Well, he's one of the first professional drummers I've heard who call it a blast beat.
If you do the kick-snare at like....200bpm in 16th notes, then yeah, I could understand...
But at like "Slayer" speed, nah.
I thought you meant high tempos.

No, simple snare/bass beats aren't. But parts like the end of The New Black and the chorus of Almost Again where it alternates i'd say you could call blastbeats.
LAMMERGEIER
Oh yeah, nah, I was refering to the simple slayer beat prevelent in early death metal (EG: Nearly all of Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates), not the stuff you mentioned.

The uber fast stuff I would call blasts aswel.
Sounds better than a straight blast anyway
Quote by Magero
Dyer's, noooo.... You can alternate the hi-hat if you want, but the snare and kick have to be synched on every beat like that. I've had too many drummers yell at me for calling kick snare a blast beat now.

And VGF: That is epic win....I now want to form an Aztec themed brutal death metal band....

One of my current bands are doing that, so forget it
Quote by Magero
A blast beat is

KICK KICK KICK KICK
SNARE SNARE SNARE SNARE
RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE

Don't forget, there's more than one type of blastbeat, that's a cannibalblast.

Quote by Magero
You can alternate the hi-hat if you want, but the snare and kick have to be synched on every beat like that.

That's a suffoblast.
Alot of Death Metal bands have been asked the question "where did the idea for the lyrics come from?" and most say horror films. Kerry King says horror films, Chuck Schuldiner said the band originally wrote tounge-in-cheek horror movie lyrics. George Fisher and Alex Webster from CC said the same thing, so have most other death metal bands with gore lyrics. Im glad that there are still bands who write something besides gore lyrics but like vamp said "if its not broke dont fix it" . Its also the type of lyrics that fit the music. If you have dark, gloomy music would you try to accompany it with songs about pretty things? or would you try to fit it with dark, gloomy lyrics.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Apr 28, 2008,
Death had more violent lyrics, just throwing that out there.
Regurgitated Guts - Death
Suicidal preacher hangs himself
Unfaithful servant goes straight to hell
When he returns, your life will end
Down from the skies maggots descend
Least expecting his horrible face
Your decayed guts you soon will taste
Unholy feeling grows deep inside
Choking on your guts you open wide
Just a little bit of it.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
mostly slasher movies, and alot of it was pure shock value. remember, most early death metal was made by teens/twenty year olds, they did alot of it purely to shock people. Morbid Angel even cut themself and ate worms on stage to scare people away and to prove how 'tr00' they were.

and those aztec lyrics were sick.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Magero
Like this

A blast beat is

KICK KICK KICK KICK
SNARE SNARE SNARE SNARE
RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE

well in that case Death still plays them, listen to living monstrosity, between the riffs he does the exact thing you are talking about so im still right.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by Fuzzbox91
well in that case Death still plays them, listen to living monstrosity, between the riffs he does the exact thing you are talking about so im still right.

None of that matters.

Your still an idiot for saying

Quote by Fuzzbox91

That.

Well? I found you some older more violent lyrics then the Misfits. When I are we "going to talk," as quoted by you?

Come now.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Page 1 of 2