I'm looking to pick up the upright bass towards the end of this coming summer (meaning once I get a job and get enough money for one), and I was wondering what kind of uprights are good to learn on, i.e. on the cheaper side. I was looking at the King Double Basses, and, tough they're just about the most bad ass thing I've ever laid my eyes on (especially the black on red Lee Rocker Signature one!), they're WAY too much.

I found some reasonably priced ones to start with, I think, on Musician's Friend, which were around $600 USD. Should I get one around that price range or get a more high end $1,000 USD model (though that may be out of the question provided what job I have IF I can get one)?

Thanks,

Chris
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
As far as I know, upright isn't a thing you just "pick up." Generally upright requires quite a bit of money even to get a beginner one. Those $600 ones are the cheapest out there, though I have no idea as to the quality.
you might have better luck at talkbass.com
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Uprights are not a beginner friendly thing. THat means you're not gonna buy one, you're gonna rent one. For $30-$60 a month, or whatever it is, you could have a decent bass to practise on until you can put some money away for one you want to buy, plus then you'll know something about double bass. Do you know how much of an advantage it is to know an instrument before buying one? Huge! And remember, with double bass it's all about how you play the instrument. A poorly played $10, 000 upright will sound like a $400 upright. A well-played $1000 upright may very well sound much better than it's price tag would let on.
The King uprights are right around the average for beginer uprights. There are some other brands that make $2000-4000 uprights. Kay is another brand on the cheaper side. For upright you'll be looking at a hefty price tag even to start out. I'd definately agree with renting one. If you're still in high school or below, I would suggest renting one from your school. That'll be the cheapest way to rent for sure. I'd also highly suggest private lessons. Learning upright by yourself is basically impossible. You could probably find a college age basssist in your area to give you some lessons for fairly cheap.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
ya in my school orchestra the bastist played electric bass but decided to learn double bass on the school upright his been at it for a month or so and he doesnt play it in the orchestra its alot of practise and getting to know it
Well, a friend of a friend (sounds bad, but I've actually only met the guy twice, though we get along great) would teach me. He's in that friend's band (who play psychobilly/rockabilly/surf) and owns a stand-up. I would be their bassist, probably, if I had a way to get over to his house.

Also, my school music program, as far as I know (I know a ton of people in the band) is basically only brass, woodwinds, and percussion, so renting/borrowing one is out of the question in that area. I'd rather just buy one and not have to deal with the payments in rental. I'm serious about learning, and I say pick up because that's what it will be at first, I'll practice on it for a long time. The last time I rented, it didn't go well, and I don't want this to go the same route. That kind of sounds stupid looking at it, but that's just how I feel.

Also, thanks for the replies, and I'm going to check out talkbass.com.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs