i'm planning to upgrade the pickups of my ibanez rg, H-S-H, but i want active neck and bridge pickups emg's or blackouts, with the middle single coil passive.

would be there any problem installing them? should i change the audio pot or the 5 way switch selector?

my other option is to buy the metal mayhem PU set (sh-6 distortion), any opinions?
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
not really, the active pups are gonna **** around with your passive ones especially if they are connected together. The only was I really know of using both is a seperate switch to select which pup you want going to your amp so the signals never get mixed
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
It's possible, but extremely impractical and difficult. You'd need separate pots and input jacks, and then you'd have to worry about drop-offs in volume.

If you want to go active, get an EMG SA in the middle. Otherwise, look at the DiMarzio D-Activators, which are essentially passive pickups with active tone/output and added clarity.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Hi I did this a while ago on one of my guitars. Had a nice effect because I had an ACTIVE EMG 81 on the bridge and a Passive HZ on the neck. Without an afterburner or other active set up you can only mix pickups with a 2 pickup arrangement and DPDT switch to substitute the pickup selection switch. Get the passive set is my suggestion, even though the blackouts do look really nice .
Marty
It's not worth doing on an HSH guitar, I'm not even sure if it's possible but if it is you'll lose positions 2 and 4 and also have a nightmare with volume differentials.

More to the point, you're not going to get any major benefit from active pickups with your amps, you're much better off sticking with passives.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com